Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forgive the stupid question, but...........

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2001, 10:16 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what are the small grey boxes, that dont resemble anything I found in Speedtrap Bible, and are seen on quite a few roads.
I past one at speed a few nights ago, on the A21, and Ill describe how it looks, cause in my ignorance, Im not sure whether to start panicking or not.
Its grey, stands about one meter off the ground on a grey pole, that looks fixed to the ground, and is a square box shape, with what looks like a small square screen facing oncomming traffic.
I dont remember it flashing, but it may have, I was concentrating on other things, but as I was doing a few runs, I went past it slower a 2nd time, and thats the best I can describe it.
It was just after a bridge, on a slight corner, and seemed to be positioned so it leaned out slightly towards the road.
Any ideas on what these are? I was going at licence confiscating speed, but Im not a boy racer type, it was very late, and I was literally the only car on the road. Just had to take my car out for a blast, but of course, now I have to wonder whether it was worth it.
Does "I had just finnished playing a really good game of GT2 your Honor, and became confused between the real world and the game world" stand up in court as a viable excuse? thought not.
Old 18 January 2001, 10:18 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Such a long thread so I can't be bothered to give you a reply LOL
Old 18 January 2001, 10:27 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Ah yes, but just like Jordans newest attributes, it has both quality and quantity.
Old 18 January 2001, 10:42 AM
GP
Scooby Regular

could it be one of the new CCD cameras ? ...seems a bit small though, and it should still flash I guess.

Probably completely empty.. mebbe a PDSR (paranoia dependent speed restrictor )
Old 18 January 2001, 10:49 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by IntegraR:
<B>Ah yes, but just like Jordans newest attributes, it has both quality and quantity.[/quote]

I assume you are talking about the model rather than the racing team
Old 18 January 2001, 10:51 AM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Have a look at
Old 18 January 2001, 11:06 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

It looked very similar to the forward facing truvelo you mentioned Stuart, but instead of having the L arm with the camera on top, the camera box was directly attached to the top of the pole, and it wasnt possible to see through the small screen, just looked like a blank TV screen.
So I guess I should begin panicking,
Holy cow!!, one sec, Im just going to run around the room for a minute, saying things like "why me, WHY ME!!" and "it was the drinks that mades me do it, honest" (poor Dot Cotton), though I imagine neither of these statements will help me come court day.
So now I wait? anyone know a site where they tell you if you have an impending envelope arriving that you would be wise to ignore?
Stupid GT2, now look what you've done!! (ala Homer J)
thanks for the info, Ill just have to hope there wasnt any film in it, I still hyave a chance, hopefully I wont have to change my name to B1tch, and share a cell with Big Nasty
Old 18 January 2001, 09:53 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Question

Were there any markings on the road, such as white lines or black induction loops?

I think some forces use a grey box beside the road with a pair of induction loops as a speed trap? However, I think they need to be manned and use a laptop. I remember reading something in Top Gear Magazine a while back....

....I'll go and hunt me archives.
Old 18 January 2001, 10:28 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by IntegraR:
hopefully I wont have to change my name to B1tch, and share a cell with Big Nasty [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thought you'd enjoy that mate .....

[This message has been edited by NAF (edited 18 January 2001).]
Old 18 January 2001, 10:37 PM
Rich Groves
Scooby Regular

I know the A21 very well as I wrote my p1 off on there. There are a few grey boxes like this on the road and I do not think they speed traps.

Where exactly on the A21 do you mean

Rich
Old 19 January 2001, 09:06 AM
Arron
Scooby Regular

<B>what are the small grey boxes, that dont resemble anything I found in Speedtrap Bible, and are seen on quite a few roads.
I past one at speed a few nights ago, on the A21, and Ill describe how it looks, cause in my ignorance, Im not sure whether to start panicking or not.
Its grey, stands about one meter off the ground on a grey pole, that looks fixed to the ground, and is a square box shape, with what looks like a small square screen facing oncomming traffic.
I dont remember it flashing, but it may have, I was concentrating on other things, but as I was doing a few runs, I went past it slower a 2nd time, and thats the best I can describe it.
It was just after a bridge, on a slight corner, and seemed to be positioned so it leaned out slightly towards the road.
Any ideas on what these are? I was going at licence confiscating speed, but Im not a boy racer type, it was very late, and I was literally the only car on the road. Just had to take my car out for a blast, but of course, now I have to wonder whether it was worth it.
Does "I had just finnished playing a really good game of GT2 your Honor, and became confused between the real world and the game world" stand up in court as a viable excuse? thought not.[/quote]

Seen a few on my local roads, told they were fog censors don't know if it's true though , could be I spose.
Old 19 January 2001, 09:33 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Fog censors, that would be good
Rich, if you travel away from Tunbridge Wells, towards Sevenoaks, and ignore the first Sevenoaks/Westerham offramp, you go up a slight incline, and as you come around a slow left bend, and under a bridge, its just after the bridge on the left. Probably a couple miles from the 2nd Sevenoaks offramp.
Dave, there are no lines that I could see on the road, and no cops around monitoring anything.
NAF, no way!! that Big Nasty thing would never work out, I bet he'd never call once I got out, and Im not looking for a one night stand, Guys are all the same
Besides, imagine how broken hearted the entire nations female population would be if I sudenly became unavailable, It'd be pandemonium I tell ya
Hmmm, I wish.
Old 19 January 2001, 10:00 PM
DIGGY
Scooby Regular

Wink

It's a fog detector....or at least sounds like it from your description, They were designed originally for use on ships to indicate fog density, They are used to set the Matrix (central reserve signs)to fog if conditions dictate.

I used to work on the M25 Pilot scheme variable speed section...(sorry about the cameras folks!!!)where they are also fitted, Amazing how many used to get smashed up by irate motorists who got done for speeding and thought it was the fog dets which had got em.........oh well kept me busy.....

Mark

(Added) did the device appear to have three/two sections pointing in the direction of travel with a tube in a U shape going from one to the other on a horizontal plane if so relax....defo a foggy, unless you were running particulary rich and set a fog sign.............they are also linked back to the Police C/O for travel/ weather reports....

[This message has been edited by DIGGY (edited 19 January 2001).]