new clutch issue on early wrx.

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2013, 10:48 AM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default new clutch issue on early wrx.

hi guys,

had a new excedy clutch fitted on my 94 wrx, now the bite is right at the top, if you rest your foot on top and it will slip, ive searched around the forum and found that its hydraulic and some rod i may need to adjust, any ideas please im starting to thinking it could burn it out very quick.

any info would be great please.
Old 30 August 2013, 05:49 PM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scooby kid
hi guys,

had a new excedy clutch fitted on my 94 wrx, now the bite is right at the top, if you rest your foot on top and it will slip, ive searched around the forum and found that its hydraulic and some rod i may need to adjust, any ideas please im starting to thinking it could burn it out very quick.

any info would be great please.
Could the friction plate on clutch have been fitted wrong way round.the springs might be facing the flywheel and not the pressure plate??
Old 30 August 2013, 05:54 PM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyJim2

Could the friction plate on clutch have been fitted wrong way round.the springs might be facing the flywheel and not the pressure plate??
If hydraulic level is ok and clutch pedal feels good then wouldn't need adjusting/bleeding (dont know about any rod!?).the slave cylinder simply gets unbolted from gearbox when changing clutch,hydraulics wouldn't get affected
Old 01 September 2013, 08:41 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im pretty sure you cant fit the friction plate the wrong way round. did you fit the a complete kit? do you still have the box with the part number on it so it can be checked to make sure its the correct clutch?
could try bleeding it. the nipple is under the ic and you can get a spanner on it without removing ic.

if you fitted it, did the plate feel nicely pinched tight once it was all bolted up?

if you didnt take it back to the garage.

Last edited by dj219957; 01 September 2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01 September 2013, 09:33 PM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

fitted by a garage by previous owner ive just bought the car, seen recipet and know it was done propely as was a very close friends wrx, they tried bleeding it etc, no luck, was full exceedy kit.
Old 03 September 2013, 05:26 PM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj219957
im pretty sure you cant fit the friction plate the wrong way round. did you fit the a complete kit? do you still have the box with the part number on it so it can be checked to make sure its the correct clutch?
could try bleeding it. the nipple is under the ic and you can get a spanner on it without removing ic.

if you fitted it, did the plate feel nicely pinched tight once it was all bolted up?

if you didnt take it back to the garage.
You wouldnt think it would be possible but it's surprising what people manage to do wrong lol. I somehow once overlapped the spines on friction plate and input shaft when refitting gearbox (when I was mating box & engine i pulled it the last half inch or so by tightening the bolts and it obviously wasnt lined up properly) I only noticed this once it was all back together and as result the clutch was permanently engaged. I had to remove box again,smash fricion plate off cause it was wedged tight and put bearing puller on middle part which was still stuck on there,to get it off input shaft spline.then replace with new friction plate.
Old 03 September 2013, 07:21 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no offence intended: ive never quite understood the logic of tightening the box to pull the last inch. if it dont push up by hand something ain right, friends so called "mechanic" friend snapped a block doing this.
Old 05 September 2013, 04:15 PM
scoobyJim2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj219957
no offence intended: ive never quite understood the logic of tightening the box to pull the last inch. if it dont push up by hand something ain right, friends so called "mechanic" friend snapped a block doing this.
No offence taken.I done this because I thought it was the locators/dowls being a pig and not sliding together (even with grease they are tight fit) it didnt even feel hard to tighten bolts which made me think it was going together ok.
Old 05 September 2013, 09:28 PM
duds64
Scooby Regular

i have the same problem, fitted a new clutch and flywheel and my peddle is a lot higher than what my old set up was. surely someone must have an idea to what the problem could be!
Old 05 September 2013, 09:50 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My advice would be to let it settle. I adjusted the pedal a few times and after it settled down I pretty much ended up at the same point before I started messing about