Annoying rattle.

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2011, 09:17 AM
djsparra
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying rattle.

Hi guys,
I've a rattling noise coming from front near side when I go over bumps, First I thought it might be the brake pads loose in the caliper but it's not that, I was under my car last night looking at my down pipe, I just happened to grab the drive shaft for a hand hold and realised there's a bit of play on the gear box end of both shafts and the near side rattles around in the hub end quite a lot.
How much movement/play should there be?

What should I be looking to replace? Wheel bearing? Drive shaft? Hub? or am I looking at the whole lot?
Old 13 August 2011, 12:17 AM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

You sure its not just heat shield on headers, that's the most common source of rattles.
Old 16 August 2011, 12:37 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or the drop link to the front wishbone ?
Old 16 August 2011, 01:38 PM
djsparra
Scooby Regular

Na i've checked the heat sheilds, it's not them.

I'll check the drop links tonight. I also get a little click noise sometimes when i brake thought it might be the spline on the end of the drive shaft making a noise as it's teeth are worn?? But not having seen the end of a Scooby drive shaft before, I don't know.

Anyone else got any ideas? Before I go to a garage.
Old 16 August 2011, 01:45 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try a big socket on the nut on the end of the driveshaft just pinch it up a bit if you can. It won't be driveshaft wear unless the nut has been quite loose for a while.

David

PS just disconnect one end of the drop link one side at a time and see if the rattle goes away.
Old 20 August 2011, 10:50 AM
djsparra
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
Try a big socket on the nut on the end of the driveshaft just pinch it up a bit if you can. It won't be driveshaft wear unless the nut has been quite loose for a while.

David

PS just disconnect one end of the drop link one side at a time and see if the rattle goes away.

What's the best way to get the drop link off? Cause if I jack up one side to take the wheel off and get access to the drop links the anti roll bar is then twisted and under load so it will spring off when I take the bolt out.
Old 20 August 2011, 11:11 AM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djsparra
What's the best way to get the drop link off? Cause if I jack up one side to take the wheel off and get access to the drop links the anti roll bar is then twisted and under load so it will spring off when I take the bolt out.
Jack both sides up at the same time and the anti roll bar won't be under load
Old 22 August 2011, 09:17 AM
djsparra
Scooby Regular

Hmm i'll have to borrow another trolley jack then. Think the old man's got another one.
Old 22 August 2011, 11:31 AM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just use some axle stands! Safer than working with the car just on jacks.
Old 22 August 2011, 12:05 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Both V2 classics I have had do this with the crappy 2 pot front calipers Upgraded to brembos no more jingle/rattle on speedbumps
Old 23 August 2011, 08:46 AM
djsparra
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Both V2 classics I have had do this with the crappy 2 pot front calipers Upgraded to brembos no more jingle/rattle on speedbumps
I've got the 4 pot subaru calipers mate, i'm pretty sure it is one of the pads rattling in the caliper though cause i had the wheel off the other day and when I move the disc back and forth the pad on the outside moves and hits the pins that hold them in place, also if i brake over bumpy ground the rattle stops, just trying to think of a way to solve it.
Old 16 October 2011, 01:35 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Ever resolve this? I have the same issue on my K-Sports and i have swapped discs over, swapped anti rattle clips and it still hasn't resolved this issue, although mine does this all the time not just over bumps.

Thanks
Sam
Old 17 October 2011, 09:35 AM
djsparra
Scooby Regular

Well not really resolved it I've just lived with it. It's definately the pads hitting the pins, when i reverse then go forward you can hear it click as the pad moves around and hit the pins, cause it's on the passenger side I can only hear it when that window is open and as it gets colder now I won't be opening that window a whole lot so just living with it til I change the pads when they wear out. I'll buy new pins when I do change the pads, hopefully they'll be a better fit.
Top up and bleed the your brakes, perhaps there isn't enough residual pressure in the system to hold the pads against the disc, letting it move around.
Just a thought, a temperary solution might be to get some heat shrink sleeving that you use for wireing and put a small piece (5mm) over the pin where the pad hits the pin, it would stop the noise but not sure how long it would last. You can get this sleeve from any model shop that sells RC cars, i've use it alot on my RC car it would withstand the heat generated by the brakes as well. If you try this let us know how it goes.