Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Flywheel required yes/no

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2010, 05:18 PM
Scoobdogg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel required yes/no

Just about to purchase an API modified exedy clutch for the car should be about 400/400 once it's running just wondering do I really need to replace the flywheel at the same time or will it not be much of an issue?
Old 03 August 2010, 06:19 PM
71/200
Scooby Regular

That all depends on the condition of the face of yours when you remove the old clutch.

Im running the same clutch my flywheel was fine so just fitted the clutch and its fine. Good choice of clutch, im running about 425bhp and 370lbs ft and not a hint of bother.
Old 03 August 2010, 06:21 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoobdogg
Just about to purchase an API modified exedy clutch for the car should be about 400/400 once it's running just wondering do I really need to replace the flywheel at the same time or will it not be much of an issue?
You should always get it skimmed to make sure the meeting is as good as it can be. OEM is good, no need to replace unless you really want a LW one.
Old 03 August 2010, 06:36 PM
Scoobdogg
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice will get on the case now.
Old 03 August 2010, 06:40 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

A proper forged lightweight flywheel is a very nice upgrade which makes the engine nice and lively. Wouldn't ever go back to a heavy OEM flywheel.

http://www.superhids.co.uk/lightweig...l-5-speed.html

If you are not looking to upgrade, I would have the flywheel skimmed if it has high spots (mine always has).
Old 03 August 2010, 06:41 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

A proper forged lightweight flywheel is a very nice upgrade which makes the engine nice and lively. Wouldn't ever go back to a heavy OEM flywheel.

http://www.superhids.co.uk/lightweig...l-5-speed.html

If you are not looking to upgrade, I would have the flywheel skimmed if it has high spots (mine always has).
Old 03 August 2010, 09:17 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scoobdogg
API also do an exchange of flywheel for a skimmed lightened one for the 5 speed box. It's around the 7kg mark. This will give a quicker pickup but will not cause judder on take off like lighter flywheels do.
Old 03 August 2010, 11:15 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

7kgs because that's an ideal weight or 7kgs because that is about as much as you can butcher a OEM flywheel before it becomes too weak?

How does a light flywheel cause judder btw?

The last time someone commented on using one of our lightweight forged flywheel and Exedy Anti-Judder clutches the term used was "as smooth as a baby's bottom"
Old 03 August 2010, 11:15 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

7kgs because that's an ideal weight or 7kgs because that is about as much as you can butcher a OEM flywheel before it becomes too weak?

How does a light flywheel cause judder btw?

The last time someone commented on using one of our lightweight forged flywheel and Exedy Anti-Judder clutches the term used was "as smooth as a baby's bottom"
Old 03 August 2010, 11:18 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by madscoob
ive just had the exedy anti judder clutch and lightweight flywheel off bob fitted and its like a new car .. clutch take up is as smooth as a babies **** .
Old 04 August 2010, 10:07 AM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally would not put a 5kg flywheel on a road car, but each to their own. Cars are given heavy flywheels for a reason and that's to ensure a smooth ride. On a lighter flywheel higher revs will be needed to get a smooth take off, smooth reverse and to stop stalling. this is due to there being much less inertia in a lightened flywheel. Yes you 'may' get a bit of quicker pick up but you will also get quicker drop off (less engine braking) as the flywheel has less weight/inertia to keep it spinning. you'll probably find that in traffic you'll have to use a lower gear to keep a smooth ride.
I've had a 7-8kg flywheel on a classic that had 'slightly' better pickup, and have driven my brothers car that has a 6.1 kg wheel and his is bugger in town traffic. Both cars had Exedy stage 1 Organic racing clutches fitted.

To the OP, just get the your flywheel inspected whilst having your clutch changed. If it's inexpensive to get it skimmed, surfaced, then i't worth considering.
Old 04 August 2010, 12:57 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Factory cars are designed with all types of driver and driving in mind, as well as an eye on costs.

Yes, if you are an OAP just going to the PO to pick up your pension along with the odd caravan holiday you are better off staying with a factory flywheel. But, as with most people on here we don't like the way the cars are compromised from the factory and seek to improve them in all departments.

Having run a 4.3kg flywheel for several years I can confidently say that it is a highly recommended modification to do whilst doing a clutch change. Makes the car engine more lively and accelerate better. Just a more fun car all around.

Yes, if you just jump into a car with a proper lightweight flywheel when you are used to a heavier flywheel you'll be likely to stall it, but it doesn't take long to get used to it and reap the benefits.

As you seem so hung up that 7-8kg flywheel is ideal, tell me, of all the aftermarket flywheels out there why is a 7-8kg flywheel not popular/common? The manufacturers afterall can choose more or less any weight they desire from 4kgs upwards and select 4,5 and 6kg weights instead. Why? Well, they aren't limited by how much they can butcher a OEM flywheel before it gets too weak. They start from scratch using higher quality materials and can therefore choose more ideal weights, namely 4, 5 and 6kgs.

A customer that went from a OEM flywheel to one of our proper lightweight forged ones with an anti-judder clutch: ...
Originally Posted by madscoob
ive just had the exedy anti judder clutch and lightweight flywheel off bob fitted and its like a new car .. clutch take up is as smooth as a babies **** .