Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

wird whining noise not sure where form

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2010, 06:50 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wird whining noise not sure where form

i was driving home the other day and all was fine then i decided to give it a little bit of 1st.2nd gear and then straight after that it made a weird whining noise like the sound of an eletric motor or somthing i got home put it in netrual and reved the engine and it was still there left the car for 20 minutes and it had gone give some beans no problems , today iw as going home from work and all is fine then i give it some beans in 3rd and the noise is back and its there when i rev it in neutral , could this be the gear box or the crank, or pulleys at the front of the engine or clucth over run or even the turbo or maybe the power steering just not sure runing 3 month old 20g fully foregd engine six speed gear box 2002 box, 98 wrx

Last edited by happydude303; 25 March 2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 25 March 2010, 07:43 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

You should know by now how difficult it is to diagnose "noises" via the internet.

It could be all of the above. To rule in/out some things, ask yourself whether the noise disappears if you put your foot on the clutch? If it does, then the problem's in the gearbox.

If the noise is still there if you rev at a standstill and your foot on the clutch, then the problem's engine side. PAS pump is one possible cause, as is the alternator, but there are stacks more from the timing belt tensioner or one of the guide pulley bearings breaking up, considerably more besides.

You're the only one with your car in front of you so you're the only one with the ability to stick your ear close to different parts of the engine and narrow down the location. Get out there and have a listen.
Old 25 March 2010, 07:51 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

top man splitpin and yeah as soon as i said whinign noise i new it wasnt helping lol but yes when i put my cluth down it is still there it may eba pully as for the lats six months when it warming up it gets a reall high pitch sqeak and then goes after five minutes it may well be time for a some lighten pulleys and the power steering has been getting noiser when tunring of late humm i just hope its not in the engine as the build is only 1.5 years old i need to get the bung in the exshaust and then have a listen as my car is well loud its hard to pin point any thing

Last edited by happydude303; 25 March 2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 25 March 2010, 07:55 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

If it's the power steering (or alternator). it'll be really easy to localise - just stick your ear next to it with the engine running and you'll know straight away.

The "real high pitched squeak" you're talking about sounds a lot like a slipping belt, especially in combination with what you say about the steering getting noisier. So either way it's worth spending some time with your ear under the bonnet.

Last edited by Splitpin; 25 March 2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 25 March 2010, 07:57 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

i think its the pully the squeak went straigh awya when i put some wd40 on it then it comes back the next moring ill have a listen and ill get back with where it it is
Old 25 March 2010, 08:03 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Sh*te dude, I know it's helped you localise the problem but the last thing you should put on v-belts is a solvent-based lubricant like WD40. You want to increase the friction between the belt and the pulley to stop them slipping, not reduce the friction via a lubricant!

The only stuff that should go on belts is proper belt dressing - this keeps the material supple and stops it ageing/cracking, making it grip the pulleys more effectively. Oil does the opposite.
Old 25 March 2010, 09:28 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

sorry dude ive not spray it on the belts but right in the centre of the pully directly so my thoughs on that was it might be the puly bearins on the way out but thyat was about six months ago ive just been out in it again and no sounds so i giove it some stick in the gears and then it comes back it i think it somthign to do with heat and maybe all the wa\ter that has been on the road of late if it was my crank not get oil it would have been knocking it self to death no or its the turbo im going to get it look at at the week end and see what the guys who built and mapped it say
Old 25 March 2010, 11:23 PM
chrisnorm17
Scooby Regular

i do belive dont quote me but if you get a iron bar and place it carfuly on the pump/alternator and place your ear near the end the sound will travel up the bar. so if you can not get near the item you can still lisen. hope this helps.
Old 26 March 2010, 06:51 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

i am thinking this is the power steering as i have check the fluid and it is low even when hot which is my fault i think as i spend so much time changing sprak plugs oild changes so on that i juts never bothered with the power steering fluid shame on me but also metion in another thread is it coudl be the alternator bearing as it dopes sound like a supercharger whine ill check all this tomorrow and let you all cheers for the input every one
Old 27 March 2010, 08:18 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

i have fill up my power steering and the whine has gone thnaks god for that