Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Urgent help please,stuck in 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2009, 11:05 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Urgent help please,stuck in 3rd

I just got in from work and on my way home dropped into 3rd gear and when i slammed it into 4th the gearstick went loose and is now stuck in 3rd,its loose from 3rd to 4th and wont go across to select any other gear or neutral.
Im supposed to be taking the family to blackpool on friday,so hope someone can help?
my98 uk impreza terzo with short shift as standard.

Regards Rich
Old 26 August 2009, 11:17 PM
jabbawockymark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gears

hi you need to get under the car and check the selector it sounds like its got stuck just loosen it of and then you should be able to select N then tighten it back up and then try the gears...
Old 26 August 2009, 11:26 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Thanks jabbawockymark,i will get a good look tomorrow and really hope its an easy fix,least i know where to start cheers
Old 27 August 2009, 12:41 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
I just got in from work and on my way home dropped into 3rd gear and when i slammed it into 4th the gearstick went loose and is now stuck in 3rd,its loose from 3rd to 4th and wont go across to select any other gear or neutral.
When you say the gearstick is "floppy", if you try and pull it up up towards the roof of the car, what happens? Does the stick feel firmly fixed at its base, or does it pull up? If it does, chances are you've either pulled the balljoint at the bottom of the stick out of its socket, or else the socket has broken.

If you can pull the stick upwards, remove the centre console top (or the gaiter) so you can see the stick assembly - and it should be pretty obvious what has happened.

If the socket has gone you'll need to visit your nearest dealer or scrappy for a new one - and make sure you get the metal circlip that holds it in place as you almost certainly lost yours when it broke.

If you simply pulled the balljoint up out of the socket, you should be able to pop it back in, although this should be considered a temporary fix, as if the joint's worn enough for it to happen once, it'll do it again.

If it isn't the balljoint, the likeliest suspect then becomes a snapped end of the selector rod inside the gearbox. If so, it's not something you can loosen and get working again, unfortunately.
Old 27 August 2009, 08:35 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Cheers splitpin,looks like your right,I have just been under the car and its definatley not the linkage,and is something inside the box so i will have to change the selector rod.Does the gearbox have to come out for me to do this?
Regards Rich
Old 27 August 2009, 07:16 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Tricky answer. Before you take that decision you first need to decide whether you're experienced enough to take the gearbox apart, diagnose and repair it yourself.

If you're up for it, some will tell you that you can have a go with the box still on the engine, but at best of times it's a tit to do it that way as you're upside-down with gear oil dripping all over you, and crud around the transmission tunnel will tend to drop on the internals as you work.

Better to take the box out and look at it on the bench. Rear and centre diff casings need to come off to give you access to the selector shaft - and then you're hoping you see it snapped clean off. If you do, and once you've taken off the linkage joint from the other end and pulled the reverse/5th check, you can push it out and replace. Need to make sure you've recovered all the broken bits before putting it back together tho - and that could be the difficult bit.

Obtaining a suitable replacement without paying silly new dealer price might be tricky too.

Last edited by Splitpin; 27 August 2009 at 07:17 PM.