Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

STi engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2002, 10:20 PM
Marcusjames
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Until fairly recently I had owned a 215bhp Impreza. I'm looking to get another but think it's worth upgrading to at least a WRX.

I've seen some very trick looking STis but am really worried as so many of them seem to have 30k miles and quote "new engine fitted". Why do STis appear to go through engines whereas the WRX and UK Impreza are so reliable. I appreciate the additional tuning but is engine failure worth the risk over the normal 280bhp WRX.

Thanks
Old 07 March 2002, 11:57 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

engine-swap usually denotes owner that didn't know what they were doing, probably tried to run 95 ron fuel or didn't change oil frequently enough (official service interval is 10,000 km or 6250 miles - though I used to change oil at 3000 miles or less as it started to break-down)
Also could be due to unwise and ill chosen modifications without checking fuelling and generally being sensible.
Finally, there are those that go for long high speed runs and trash their engine.
Avoid those three categories of current owner and you will have no problems, well looked after stis are as reliable and strong as any other subaru and are even better engineered.
Are they that much better? - oh yes - ask anyone who has had uk spec car and an sti - why do you think half of this bbs are obsessed with trying to make their cars look like stis ;-)

Paul W
Old 08 March 2002, 12:02 AM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Cool

Agree with above, plus you may find that a large proportion of those with new engines are Sti5s. They seem to go pop more than most for ECU reasons IIRC.

Mike
Old 08 March 2002, 07:46 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Upto and including version 4 Sti's they could run on 95 octane if pushed and were fine on 97, just with reduced boost. But version 5 had a changed Ecu and it couldnt do the same retarding and ran much too hot if inferior octane petrol was used, so I gather. This has lead to a few going bang - not many mind you - I think it was just when pushing hard. I bought a version 4 accordingly.

The Sti has a blueprinted engine with uprated internals - it will if anything be more reliable than a Uk model - it's just the temptations to abuse are high, and many do so. Also in my opinion as the car is an uprated version already modifying it more will strain it that more - avoid these ones. I have a totally standard one and have had no problems so far (having had 2 Uk cars - both with minor problems) - great car.
Old 09 March 2002, 11:24 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

RE:healyb message
I am also after a sti ver 5, I recently had a look at a highly modded ver 4 sti and the dealer admitted that there was something wrong with the crank.
I saw the car readvertised much CHEAPER at Vine Place Sports and Performance. But he had sold the car. So I grilled hom about the problem he mentioned before. I cant remember the exact details but it went something along the lines of 4th pistons connection working loose from the crank. Is there a weakness/fragility in these components. I have also heard countless tales of melted pistons and piston slap....... I still really desire a type 5 sti or should i keep away
Old 10 March 2002, 10:14 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Red face

I have driven my STi V hard for FORTY thousand (s)miles; many on track, almost all in a fairly to very highly tuned state, and apart from a little bit of wear, to be expected, the standard engine remains strong.

There are a number of STis, and UK cars have had new engines, usually through abuse or poor tuning.

The core engine is fairly strong, not as much as some, but not inherently weak as an STi.

Trout
Old 14 March 2002, 12:38 PM
healeyb
Scooby Regular

gravelexpress: I don't know what advice to offer. My car has never been raced, never been on a track, owned it from new, it's completely standard, serviced at exactly the right times, I check the oil regularly, in fact I only drive it a couple of times a week, my wife uses it the rest of the time running about with the kids. And yet I've had to shell out over £6,000 getting the engine/gearbox fixed. It's a great car though, if I'd been able to see into the future when I bought it and could foresee the 6 grand expenditure, would I still have bought it? mmmmmm probably yes, it's that good.
Old 14 March 2002, 02:20 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Wink

I'd be worried about your wifes driving when your out of site!
Old 14 March 2002, 02:32 PM
Sieze
Scooby Regular

All Impreza's can blow big ends..even with 97 oct fuel and booster...even with new oil...remember the big end thread ?!
Old 03 August 2002, 02:28 PM
healeyb
Scooby Regular

pwebb is talking out of his a*rse. I have had a gearbox and engine rebuild and I've always run my car on 98 ron fuel and it's been serviced at the right times by a reputable dealer. The gearbox went because of the "5th gear nut loose problem". The engine suffered a big end bearing failure, there is obviously a weakness,
with considerable empirical evidence suggesting an oil feed problem.

Oh no though, it's the owners.

[Edited by healeyb - 3/8/2002 4:29:28 PM]