Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clutch replaced, getting wineing noises?

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2008, 07:43 PM
flashgordon666
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch replaced, getting wineing noises?

Ive had the clutch replaced with new one, and all the parts, the bite is loads better, but ive started to hear a wining noise, which ive heard is from the ball bearing from the center of the clutch, but its new so how come after 2 weeks im getting this noise??? suggestions.

It only happens in first gear and when clutch is down/up, but once going no noise..

Last edited by flashgordon666; 19 December 2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 19 December 2008, 08:48 PM
adzer
Scooby Regular

when i approach junctions and drop into 1st gear i get a whine from the box, as far as i know its normal and aint had problems with it.
Old 20 December 2008, 01:59 AM
flashgordon666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adzer
when i approach junctions and drop into 1st gear i get a whine from the box, as far as i know its normal and aint had problems with it.
naa theres no way thats normal!!!!

its a continuest whine when clutch pedal is down.
Old 20 December 2008, 01:40 PM
adzer
Scooby Regular

well i've had the same gearbox in two different cars and makes the same noise in both cars, if their was something wrong with it it would of gone bang by now (50k of driving by me) sometimes hard sometimes not
Old 21 December 2008, 12:03 PM
flashgordon666
Scooby Regular

well i've had the same gearbox in two different cars and makes the same noise in both cars, if their was something wrong with it it would of gone bang by now (50k of driving by me) sometimes hard sometimes not
I dont really understand this.

Your saying it could be the gearbox but then you say if it was the gearbox it would have gone. Sometimes hard sometimes not, what the gearbox changing gears?
Old 21 December 2008, 12:40 PM
Bigandy
Scooby Regular

Default Mine too....

I have just had a new clutch and flywheel fitted and get a whine too.
Mine isnt apparent till i get over 40 and then its only there when i accelerate. If i keep tapping the throttle i can hear it but its not there when i just coast in gear. Its really noisy at 70+ and the pitch of the noise goes up at speed, but not the volume of the noise. Its best described as a sort of electrical interference type noise, but its not that.
The car drives fine and the clutch doesnt slip, its easy to get into and out of gear too.

Any Ideas?

Bigandy
Old 22 December 2008, 12:00 AM
flashgordon666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bigandy
I have just had a new clutch and flywheel fitted and get a whine too.
Mine isnt apparent till i get over 40 and then its only there when i accelerate. If i keep tapping the throttle i can hear it but its not there when i just coast in gear. Its really noisy at 70+ and the pitch of the noise goes up at speed, but not the volume of the noise. Its best described as a sort of electrical interference type noise, but its not that.
The car drives fine and the clutch doesnt slip, its easy to get into and out of gear too.

Any Ideas?

Bigandy
sad to hear it, would have thought it would just be problem with old cars. where you get it done? The whining noise im getting is like two metal plates scraping together.
Old 22 December 2008, 09:00 AM
adzer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flashgordon666
I dont really understand this.

Your saying it could be the gearbox but then you say if it was the gearbox it would have gone. Sometimes hard sometimes not, what the gearbox changing gears?
my point being my box has always whined into first gear since i bought it and i call that normal but you are saying that its NOT normal there fore saying i have a faulty box, if it was faulty as your suggesting it wouldn't of lasted for 50k miles without going bang.....as i drive the car hard sometimes, and sometimes i dont
Old 22 December 2008, 05:57 PM
flashgordon666
Scooby Regular

my point being my box has always whined into first gear since i bought it and i call that normal but you are saying that its NOT normal there fore saying i have a faulty box, if it was faulty as your suggesting it wouldn't of lasted for 50k miles without going bang.....as i drive the car hard sometimes, and sometimes i dont

if you can hear a whine somewhere theres a problem, thats what im saying. I know gearboxes that has 100k on them and they never been changed, ones with 12years+ and they aint been changed and dont have a whine.

If your getting a whine, its problem the bearings in the center of the clutch.
Old 22 December 2008, 06:15 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

The bearings are a common problem on these box's. They go over time, and can be whining for thousands of miles.
I've had this on two box's, both drove well, just whined on the over run mostly.
Did you get it changed at a garage? If so, take it back and ask why it makes this noise. Did it do it before the clutch change?
I fitted a new exedy to my last car, 700 miles later it exploded,i was still running it in! Exedy examined it, and i got a free replacement( well, a standard £100 Diakin version of the £350 organic one i bought, not happy! Thanks Triton )
Before it went it made a chirpy/scrapey noise in first.

Mit
Old 22 December 2008, 07:25 PM
adzer
Scooby Regular

my box only whines when dropping from second to first approaching juctions.
i personally dont think its a problem at all. doesn't whine any other time
Old 22 December 2008, 07:55 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

A standard good nick box won't whine. If it is, somethings worn(bearings) It's most noticable when down gearing like you say.
Old 22 December 2008, 10:31 PM
flashgordon666
Scooby Regular

when I first bought the car it never whined, but then when the clutch started slipping it started whining. yea i got mine done in a garage, after 200 miles then I started hearing the whining again,

It doesn't slip now, but it does whine in first gear.

Last edited by flashgordon666; 22 December 2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 24 December 2008, 01:29 AM
scoobystanway
Scooby Newbie

So whats the verdict? I have a 96 wagon that doesnt wine at all when cold but when its warm it whines if you boot it in 1st and 2nd and sometimes when changing down in to second. I heard that they do whine on some cars? It feels sound, its smooth and tight, and the clutch doesnt slip.
Old 27 December 2008, 06:50 PM
flashgordon666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobystanway
So whats the verdict? I have a 96 wagon that doesnt wine at all when cold but when its warm it whines if you boot it in 1st and 2nd and sometimes when changing down in to second. I heard that they do whine on some cars? It feels sound, its smooth and tight, and the clutch doesnt slip.
Last 2 days ive been down at my bros Stafford, its been -3 and is hasnt whined once. But it stopped when I put my foot down from 0-60 it shunted the car think back fire but does back fire shudder the car? then it hasnt whined since. result.