Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Dawes Device 18Psi peak but holds 16Psi

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2002, 01:01 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Is there anyway I can get this to hold the boost at say 17/18Psi at higher revs?

Damian.
Old 04 February 2002, 01:16 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Firstly terminology. Not to be pedantic but I need to know what you mean. Most people when they say peak mean the actual momentary peak you get during spool up from either low revs or from flooring the throttle in the midrange. The held they refer to as the figure that is held thereafter. The taper they refer to the drop at high revs which is a function of the size of your turbo, wastegate spring strength and tigtness of the actuator.

What MY do you have also?

If a MY98-02 you will get and you want significant taper from 5000rpm up. You really don't want more than 14.5 PSI at 6000rpm it is not safe on a TD04L. Is this what you mean?

The ideal boost curve for a TD04L in my opinion and what I run is 18 PSI at 2400rpm held until about 4500rpm until it drops to 14.5 PSI at 6000rpm and further from there. You don't want any more believe me on this turbo.

If you really are referring to a peak, then this can be dialled out by increasing the bleed and adjusting the MBC as necessary. Then you can get peak and held the same.

Hope this helps.
Old 04 February 2002, 01:23 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

John,

I have an MY00 with PPP ecu. When I say peak it is the boost initially hit when flooring the throttle. I have also drilled the bleed hole to 1.5mm and stretched the spring.

Damian.
Old 04 February 2002, 01:35 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sorry, maybe I'm thick but I still don't understand exactly what you mean and the difference is absolutely crucial!

The reason I ask is you mentioned higher up the revs in the top post which sounds more like taper.

Do you mean a very short peak or do you mean taper??

If you mean taper, nothing can be done as I said.

If you mean a genuine short peak try a 2mm bleed hole. Since I tightened my actuator I had to do this, and I suspect my actuator is like standard now - was floppy before.

If you are still not sure, please describe what you boost does at what revs and describe what you mean by "peak" a bit more precisely.

I am not being pedantic honest!
Old 04 February 2002, 01:43 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

John,

I think I know where you coming from. The car hits 18Psi and then it will 'Taper' off to 16Psi at the higher revs.

I thought the Dawes would keep the boost that was manually set and that was why it was so good at preventing spikes.

Damian.
Old 04 February 2002, 02:45 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

It will keep the boost with the right bleed in the midrange, but it won't do wonders for a small turbo! You are stuck with the taper - it is a limit of the car not the Dawes.
Old 04 February 2002, 02:59 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers John,

I'll just have to stick with my 283bhp and 266ft lbs torque I got on the rollers yesterday LOL! Can't complain for £26 can you?

Damian.
Old 04 February 2002, 03:04 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Agreed. I think mine would run about the same on the same rollers as I have a very similar setup.

280bhp seems to be about on the nose for PPP decat with boost controller at PE and it seems Well Lane. 260bhp at PS or Star I reckon.
Old 06 February 2002, 09:41 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

"The ideal boost curve for a TD04L in my opinion and what I run is 18 PSI at 2400rpm held until about 4500rpm until it drops to 14.5 PSI at 6000rpm and further from there. You don't want any more believe me on this turbo."

Hi John,

Could you tell me what type of car you have and year. I have fitted a dawes to my 1998 Uk turbo, and cant get the boost to go above 15PSI before the fuel cut comes in. It also spools up very quickly...too quickly... and I read that you make a bigger hole in the dawes. Where abouts?

Scoty
Old 06 February 2002, 10:05 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

It is a MY00 which I think has a higher fuel cut than the 98 anyway, but another 2 PSI higher because I have a PPP. Also I think 98 was the changeover from big to small turbo, and the engine was changed again in 99.

If you are getting too quick spool up you probably have a small turbo model with a TD04L.

The hole to drill is the small one in the end of the Dawes which is 0.5mm. Increase it to about 1.5mm and it will be much smoother.
Old 06 February 2002, 10:12 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks very much John
Old 06 February 2002, 10:32 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Smile

John, could you please tell me one more thing....you are the man in the know and this is the first turbo car I have had

First time round:- I disconected the pipe from the wastegate, connected the dawes to the wastegate, and then connected the pipe that was originaly connected to the wastgate to the other end of the dawes. Result.... Peak Boost up to 18-19PSI momentarily, then settles to 14-15 PSI with no fuel cut off at boost peak.

Second time round:- I connected the dawes directly between the wastegate and the nipple on the turbo, and blanked off the pipe that was originaly connected to the wastgate. This is the one that runs into the wing somewhere? Result... spools up quickly, does not overboost, holds 15-15.5 PSI through the revs and gears, doesn't drop off or settle, but cannot get it past 15-15.5PSI without fuel cut comming in

Do you know which way is correct?

Scoty
Old 06 February 2002, 10:37 PM
paulwadams_my99
Scooby Regular

doesn't the first time round mean you still have the restrictor and boost control solenoid in place?
Old 06 February 2002, 10:41 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Second. Your boost gauge may be under-reading - it is common by 1 PSI. Until I realised I wondered why I couldn't go higher. Fuel cut is over 17PSI on MY99/00, MY98 may be slightly lower.

Just turn it back 1 PSI from fuel cut. You will still get excellent peak power and much improved spool up. Don't get too hung up about the midrange boost - 15 is not that different from 16 when you consider different gauges etc - running less boost will give you more ignition advance and keep things cooler and your power at the top end will be excellent.
Old 06 February 2002, 11:03 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks once again guy's,

You have confirmed to me that the Dawes is now correctly fitted(second)and set fairly accurate. Petty about the gauges, just paid £300 for them At least they look good

Jim at Star Performance advised me that once I got the Dawes, I should bring the car to him for fitment and setting up...I can now go up and say..look Jim I fitted it myself

Thanks again Need any help with stubourne people give me a shout

Scoty
Old 06 February 2002, 11:09 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I am very near to Star also if you want me to look over your installation and check it, but it sounds as though you've got it. We need more pictures posted guys with digi cameras!
Old 06 February 2002, 11:21 PM
lizzard
Scooby Regular

Hi Fellas,
Old 06 February 2002, 11:30 PM
lizzard
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hi Fellas,
Sorry about the last post!! Off to a new start
I have ordered a Dawes from Darren and have offered to him the "before, during, and after" digital pictures.
He said that he will set up a link page to the photos when he gets them.
I originally was going to put them here as well, but I need someone to tell me how to get jpeg's up on the site.
Do I "cut and paste" them? That sounds too simple!!
Actually I just tried that and it doesn't work
Any Ideas??

Old 06 February 2002, 11:33 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

http://upload.turbosport.co.uk/

It gives you a link to post in with [ i m g ] link [ / i m g ]

(without the spaces I have put in)
Old 06 February 2002, 11:37 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi John,

I have got a digi camera, and will take pics tommorow morning and post them up. I will take before, during and after pics. Is there anything you want specifically taken?

I would realy appreciate you looking over the car John, as I am a complete novice

Scoty
Old 06 February 2002, 11:40 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Just read the reply's, thanks for the ideas.

I know how to upload and post pics on the BBS, if you look tommorow after say 12pm, I should have some good pic's for all to see

Scoty
Old 06 February 2002, 11:48 PM
paulwadams_my99
Scooby Regular

As Jamie is now the "sole" uk distributor could we not all help him to host something? Seems like he has it all in place, Jamie?
Old 06 February 2002, 11:50 PM
lizzard
Scooby Regular

John Banks
When connecting the Dawes do we infact do away with the existing waste gate.
From what I can see under the bonnet the hose from the nipple on the turbo does indeed go to the waste gate. However there is a "T" junction in the hose between the turbo nipple and waste gate about half way along the length of the same hose.
This "new" hose" (coming from the bottom of the "T") goes to a Denso electrical solenoid/switch of some sort bolted with some other solenoids, in front of the "RIGHT SHOCK STRUT MOUNT"
Are you still with me?
Where do you put the Dawes in all of this?
Do I eliminate the bit to the waste gate or to the Denso solenoid?
HELP!!
I need to know ALL the details so that I can label the photos with all the relevant parts under the bonnet.
Old 07 February 2002, 12:00 AM
lizzard
Scooby Regular

This is just to test the image.
It may be "blured" as I think I took it too close!!

Old 07 February 2002, 12:00 AM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Hello Lizzard,

John will probably confirm this, but when fitting the Dawes, do away with the T-peice, and put a screw into the tube to blank it.Do not connect any of the pipes attached to the t-piece to the dawes.

To connect the Dawes, you should have a pipe running from the turbo nipple to the long staight end of the dawes, then connect the other end of the dawes to the wastegate nipple.Pics tommorow

Scoty
Old 07 February 2002, 12:03 AM
paulwadams_my99
Scooby Regular

that hurt my eyes
Old 07 February 2002, 12:18 AM
lizzard
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Right fellas!!! IT WORKS!!!
Heres what to do... Step by Step...

1)Take the pictures as you would normally do with your camera and down load them to your computer.

2)Save them on the "desktop". That makes it easy to find them after.

3)Go to this web site http://upload.turbosport.co.uk/

4)"Click" browse on the first line and a "Windows Dialog Box" will open asking you to choose a file.

5)Highlight file to be opened and click "open". The WINDOWS box will close.

6)Something like this should appear in the first line of the turbosports upload page:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\WRX3.jpg

7)"Click" UPLOAD

8)A new page will open (be patient, it can be SLOW)

9)Cut and paste this new line into your BBS POST and it will appear as a PICTURE

DA DA !!!

Old 07 February 2002, 12:21 AM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Smile

Any chance of some decent pic's then

Only messing around

Scoty
Old 07 February 2002, 12:24 AM
lizzard
Scooby Regular

Question

Scotty
Not trying to be thick here but do I blank off the bit to the denso as well as the waste gate.
In other words I will be blanking off TWO hose ends
One to the waste gate the other to the DENSO thingy

Old 07 February 2002, 12:36 AM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Hello,

What's the denso?

Disconnect all pipes from the wategate and the turbo nipple. You should be left with a T-peice, with one pipe going back to where the turbo nipple would have been connected, and anouther pipe running to the left hand side wing to a ???????

Pull the T-peice apart, so that you have a plastic T-peice in your hand... a small length of piping in your habd...and a pipe that runs(still connected) to the denso? at the left hand wing?

The Dawes should connect between the wastegate and the turbo nipple. all other pipesshould be blanked off, as these other pipes are connected to the restrictor and boost control solenoid, which will, when connected reduce the boost..it will peak for a second at 18????? then settle o standard settings.

If it doesn't make sence let me know. i am on-line for a couple of hours

Scoty

Quick Reply: Dawes Device 18Psi peak but holds 16Psi