Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

HELP With Drivetrain (Urgent)

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2008, 09:22 PM
Scooby_Baly
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP With Drivetrain (Urgent)

Hi all, newbie reg here. Picked up an STI v2 with a knackered gearbox and a knackered rear diff. The guy i bought it off said when he drained the rear diff, it drained silver metal filing oil.

Transmission is 5mt TY752VB4AA

with a 4.11 rear diff.

I have purchased a recon gearbox but am having trouble sourcing a rear diff.

Que1: Are the wrx and sti gearboxes for 1996 the same? or is it true that the STI box is much stronger? As i have checked jap specs and forum posts and no one mentions any part number just rear diff ratios. Or are part numbers irrelevant when it comes to rear diffs?

Que2: If i do need a part number Does any1 know the number for this scooby? if so please let me know. Or does any1 have 1 for sale?

Que3: As i'm gona put in another drive train, any advice on clutches? shes dynod at 303rwhp. I'm more of a street man than rally and mega track days. As its going to be my daily runner.

Any further advice on engine oils, gearbox oil, and rear diff oils would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance

Baly
Old 12 January 2008, 11:06 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no difference in the strength of WRX and STi boxes and they are interchangeable Jap to Jap however you need to ensure the diffs are the same front to rear. The ratios of the boxes may be different so that needs checked out and the best way to check out ratios is by the TY752 number.
Uk car boxes are not interchangeable with Jap. Jap boxes are 1.o:1 drop gears and have usually 4.44 or 4.11 diffs. but there are some 3.9s.
Uk cars are 1.1:1 drop gears with 3.9 front diffs and 3.545 rear diffs.
You could put an advert in wanted for a 4.11 rear diff and phone round breakers.
BTW it is not unusual for some metal filings to come out of the rear diff at an oil change, some, not a lot.
For your car I think you need an EXedy Organic uprated as sold by API Engines and possibly Mocom but it must be the uprated version. David at API may be a good source of a 4.11 rear diff and he could check over your existing diff and give advice on the various TY 752 numbers which also includes the rear diff ratio.
Old 12 January 2008, 11:52 PM
Scooby_Baly
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks Harvey that was a eye opener and i'm glad i finally got a straight answer regards to the wrx and sti rear diffs.

Thanks

Baly