Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

WHAT SPEC??????

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2007, 08:55 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT SPEC??????

i have a 96 sti wagon. what spec is the engine? its a red top. is it a closed deck block? are the internals forged or stronger than uk cars? what turbo does it have? i've tried to look for an indication but can't see any marks. i plan on tuning, with a set of headers and a sports cat exhaust. either a cold air induction kit, or performance panel filter and maybe a remap. i'm looking for a moderate 330bhp. will the engine i have tolerate the mods i propose? can anyone advise me please?
Old 27 September 2007, 10:36 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chris1scouser
i have a 96 sti wagon. what spec is the engine? its a red top. is it a closed deck block? are the internals forged or stronger than uk cars? what turbo does it have? i've tried to look for an indication but can't see any marks. i plan on tuning, with a set of headers and a sports cat exhaust. either a cold air induction kit, or performance panel filter and maybe a remap. i'm looking for a moderate 330bhp. will the engine i have tolerate the mods i propose? can anyone advise me please?
That is most likely an STi Vers 2 look for GF8 C58D on the 'applied model code ' on the chassis plate.

It will have Subaru forged pistons better cams, unlikely to have Closed deck block as it was mostly still available only on RA version 2 and l do not know of an RA wagon. Turbo should be TDo5/ 16G "snorkel" [ or angled entry ] type.

The biggest drawback to your tuning path, which looks fine to me so far, is the small angled top mounted intercooler. For any power increase it is dangerously small and a front mount intercooler should be included in the plan. You will need 440 injectors [ yellow colour ones ] as your grey colour 380's won't make 330 hp.

Unless you do make a proper cold air induction box, stick with the original system as it is extremely efficient up to and beyond 350 hp, a good panel filter will suffice.

Toleration of the mods is a bit of a " crystal ball " moment. It will depend upon the miles of the car, the service history and also whether it is still the original STi 2 engine in the car. Over the years it could have been changed for anything.

In good condition the engine will be happy at your proposed mod level.

Good luck, call at some time for a talk through if you wish. No obligation to buy.

David APi
Old 27 September 2007, 02:11 PM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

Good advice there from David although I'd question the airbox's efficiency, Newage maybe for over 350hp with a suitably sized turbo but certainly not the early classics induction side.
Depending on how far you decide to push the TD05 it may bode well to source 550's rather than 440's, save you changing injectors twice
Old 27 September 2007, 02:20 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

550's will bring enough power to bust the box on that age of car. I was trying to avoid changing the maf tube and the MAP sensor which opens up the potential for too much power, if there can ever be such a thing !!

David
Old 28 September 2007, 06:44 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Default thanks

Many thanks for your advice Mocom and API. is a FMIC essential for my tuning pack? would a higher volume TMIC do? i am on a very restricted budget. and wish to upgrade in stages exhaust system first.
Old 29 September 2007, 09:32 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

ANY top mount, no matter how good the claims are, is in

THE WRONG PLACE.

David
Old 29 September 2007, 04:15 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Default point taken.

thanks David. i know heat sink affects TMIC quite badly and colder air contains more oxygen therfeore is more efficiently burned by an engine. FMIC it is then. on holiday soon but the pennies will be getting saved as soon as i arrive back and start earning again. thanks for your advice. Chris.
Old 29 September 2007, 09:08 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

You know it makes sense....................

Good decision.

David
Old 30 September 2007, 01:39 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Default which mod first.

i propose to change the headers and full system first. would this be the best move or could i install 440 injectors and FMIC first. the exhaust is standard at present as is the whole car its a 12 year old timewarp to be honest! would the standard exhaust be constrictive? would it be necessary to map the ECU for changing the exhaust only? or is it a plug and play modification.
if i mount the FMIC and change the injectors would this require a map? or could i just do all the modifications then do the map? sorry for the ask ask stuff. the last thing i want to do is change components on my standard car and end up with a basket case that i will have to break for spares.
Old 01 October 2007, 12:41 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Changing the injectors and the fit the front mount is too risky on a wrong map.

It will be sort of OK on the exhaust decat system, providing that you are sensible. Otherwise, fit the FMIC but don't connect it to the induction system remain on the top mount, as it'll save time when the car goes to be mapped and don't fit the injectors until you are where the car is going to be mapped.

David
Old 01 October 2007, 06:22 PM
chris1scouser
Scooby Regular

Default many thanks

Thank you very much for your advice.
i'll save the pennies and get all the work done in one go. i'll source the parts. then get the work carried out.
i've a feeling i'll have to replace the clutch first as i'm getting judder in first and second gear. i again thank you. i may pay your business a visit in the new year. christmas will have to come first. all the best. Chris.