Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Castrol syntrax or Slikolene silktran????

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2007, 05:42 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Castrol syntrax or Slikolene silktran????

am looking to do a gear box and rear diff oil change on my00 classic sti. what is best?

runing abit more power than standard.

thanks
ian
Old 13 September 2007, 12:44 AM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You missed out Redline 75w90NS. Check out their website for all the predictable blurb about how fantastic it is. I ordered through Turbobits online, swapped it for the Shell stuff already in the box and gearchanging is certainly sweeter than before.
Kevin
Old 13 September 2007, 07:50 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

Millers CRX75w90 or Motul gear 300 are also preferred options...............

alyn
Old 13 September 2007, 09:48 AM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Redline heavy shockproof gear oil - wouldnt use anything else now I haev tried this stuff!
Old 13 September 2007, 02:42 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

where can you et the redline stuff from? price etc?
Old 16 September 2007, 05:26 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaOne

bttt
Old 16 September 2007, 08:28 PM
Blademaster
Scooby Regular

am looking to do a gear box and rear diff oil change on my00 classic sti. what is best?

runing abit more power than standard.

thanks
ian
The best advice I had from API who know about boxes was either, syntrax or syntrax.

Guess what I use in two race cars?
Old 16 September 2007, 08:46 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about trying Syntrax ??

David
Old 17 September 2007, 10:01 AM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Opie Oils: Performance Lubricants
Old 17 September 2007, 12:17 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Got a my00, just changed from silkolene syn5 to castrol syntrax meself as i were beginning to notice problems with the syncros-having had 5th gear sorted previously i dont wanna be going down that route again-paul at zen sorted box last time and his preferred oils are millers however i hated how notchy the gearchange were,RCMS use silkolene syn5 (bin for major service and other bits)really did like the stuff however im beginning to believe that a fully synthetic gear oil as opposed to semi synthetic just aint as preferable in a non dccd car-did a search on here about it first and found bob rawle saying subaru use semi-synthetic so were good enough for me-change is lovely again now thank god.Castrol syntrax(driveline)for me from now
Old 23 September 2007, 07:57 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

I used silkolene sylktran, bad move i velieve the stuff is too slippery to climb the synchros.

Another thing ive noticed, they get very notchy once the car and oil is up to temp, so im thinking of trying a thicker oil next time round.

Castrol syntrax for me so far.
Old 23 September 2007, 09:17 PM
sti.dean
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i recently started getting syncro problems going into 5th on a 6 speed box i don,t now what oil was in there because i,ve not owned the car for long. i had the oil changed to silkolene that made it worse. keep reading a lot of good things about syntrax so i thought i,d try it before doing a grand on a box rebuild, changed the oil this afternoon took it out for a short blast no grinding gear change any more syntrax seems to have cured it.i,ll let you now if its still ok after a long journey when the oil temp is a bit higher.
Old 26 September 2007, 06:03 PM
sce8arl
Scooby Regular

Don't touch the Silktran. Terrible stuff.
Old 26 September 2007, 07:10 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Mine purrs with syntrax, far smoother than the other fluids that have been put in over the years. Had shockproof in the previous scoob and found it wasn't very nice until it warmed up myself.
Old 28 September 2007, 05:27 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Wink

I've used Motul gear 300 and found it wanting, not because of the quality but because its toooo slippperyyyer. Castrol is my next port of call which comes highly recommended by people I know talk the business.
Old 01 October 2007, 06:44 PM
WhiteNoise
Scooby Regular

i have a sti ra,rang and spoke to guy at opie oils,and was advised to use silkolene silktran SYN5 75W90,wonder if i made the correct move now after reading what people have put about it on this thread,he seemed to think it was far superier in quality to red line heavywhieght shockproof,of which i was going to use
Old 01 October 2007, 07:19 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

i had the silkolene syn5 or whatever it was, and i found it a bit notchy until warmed up.
Old 01 October 2007, 07:48 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Whitenoise don't, guy did the same with me, it is a top oil granted but too slippery and imo doesn't climb the gearing as well as required.

I ditched the silktran and switched to castrol syntrax, much better.
Old 01 October 2007, 08:27 PM
WhiteNoise
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hux309
Whitenoise don't, guy did the same with me, it is a top oil granted but too slippery and imo doesn't climb the gearing as well as required.

I ditched the silktran and switched to castrol syntrax, much better.
cheers for the advice mate,will not use now Ł50 lighter in the wallet,great.
think i will try castrol syntrax you recomend,this is o.k in the gearbox and rear diff in a version 3 sti ra i take it mate?
Old 01 October 2007, 10:03 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WhiteNoise
i have a sti ra,rang and spoke to guy at opie oils,and was advised to use silkolene silktran SYN5 75W90,wonder if i made the correct move now after reading what people have put about it on this thread,he seemed to think it was far superier in quality to red line heavywhieght shockproof,of which i was going to use
There was a lengthy thread a couple of years ago re- this very subject. the guy (no pun intended) at Opie oils was quite adament that Silkolene Syn 5 was the stuff to use in spite of a number of us stating FROM EXPERIENCE that we had synchro problems when using the stuff, and that semi-synthetic (eg Syntrax) reduced or eliminated, the problem. His arguement was based on the fluids specification and quality (no disagreement there) and not on the actual performance in the gearbox of an Impreza!
The Syn 5 I drained from the box on my 99MY back in 2001 has since resided in the transaxle of my wifes Primera, where it has done an excellent job!
JohnD
Old 01 October 2007, 10:21 PM
WhiteNoise
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
There was a lengthy thread a couple of years ago re- this very subject. the guy (no pun intended) at Opie oils was quite adament that Silkolene Syn 5 was the stuff to use in spite of a number of us stating FROM EXPERIENCE that we had synchro problems when using the stuff, and that semi-synthetic (eg Syntrax) reduced or eliminated, the problem. His arguement was based on the fluids specification and quality (no disagreement there) and not on the actual performance in the gearbox of an Impreza!
The Syn 5 I drained from the box on my 99MY back in 2001 has since resided in the transaxle of my wifes Primera, where it has done an excellent job!
JohnD
cheers for yours and hux 309 advice,will take this on board,pity i did not read this thread a few days ago,would have saved myself some money,never mind,cheers anyhow.
Old 02 October 2007, 10:09 AM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by JohnD
JohnD
I 2nd that from Johnd, I'm going to change mine for Syntrax early next year and re-use my low mileage silkolene oil in my other car, a Ford (which already is running this oil and is nice and slick for gear changes etc). I hope to improve my Scoob gear changes and stop the gear crunch which happens sometimes.