Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox over run noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2007, 01:06 PM
sparky N
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gearbox over run noise?

Have started to notice a whine on over run which is more pronounced in the lower gears when decelerating? the noise goes when you start to accelerate. The gearbox is a wrx box that was reconditioned a couple of years ago, I'm thinking the cause could be a worn input shaft bearing but wanted to check with the more experienced gearbox people on here? My car is a MY96 uk turbo (i fitted a wrx box and mathching diff when the uk one died) running approx 340 bhp 290 lb/ft @ 1.35 bar with pat herborn map and supporting mods.
Also the speedo reads high but i've assumed this is the 18" wheels?

Any ideas/help greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Neil.
Old 09 September 2007, 03:22 PM
skywalker23
Scooby Regular

Mine started to do same mate,although not all the time...

Standard box 1999 uk turbo 280bhp
Old 09 September 2007, 07:00 PM
anthony300l
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skywalker23
Mine started to do same mate,although not all the time...

Standard box 1999 uk turbo 280bhp
same here on a uk2000 on a t plate
Old 09 September 2007, 07:49 PM
steve ball
Scooby Regular

Is this noise a rubbing/catching noise? i have a my00 uk classic, never had any probs until i had an excedy clutch and fidanza flywheel fitted. Its like a catching noise when u de-celerate. Third and second is the most noticeable for me between 2500 and 1500 revs as you are approaching a junction and engine breaking as it were. Then it goes as i dip the clutch. My mechanic mate is going to have my box out to check everything but i rekon an email to david at api is the way forward as its bugging the hell out of me!
Old 10 September 2007, 09:28 AM
sparky N
Scooby Regular

The noise is more like a grating whine than a catching noise, quite similar to the noise dog boxes make but alot quieter? I've also fitted an exedy clutch and API lightened flywheel (which is a great mod and good value for money IMO) although i'm sure the noise was there prior to me fitting the new clutch and flywheel?
If the noise goes when you dip the clutch there's still a strong possibility you do have a problem with your box mate?
Is there any gearbox experts out there that could shed some light on this and help us all out?
Cheers Neil.
Old 14 September 2007, 06:39 PM
sparky N
Scooby Regular

Anyone? any ideas?
Old 18 September 2007, 06:04 PM
wez wrx
Scooby Regular

Could well be the Input shaft bearings. Can you hear it at a standstill in neutral if you gently build up the revs?
Old 18 September 2007, 07:59 PM
sce8arl
Scooby Regular

Try changing the gearbox oil. I had the same problem. I recently changed my box oil to Silkolene Silktran Syn 5 after owning the car for around 18 months. As soon as I did this I had exactly the same problems you're experiencing. I contacted a number of people and in the end changed the oil after advice from Subaru. I've changed today from fully synthetic to a part synthetic and all is fine. Mine only made this noise on over run if I used the dccd fitted to my type r. Now its fine. Hope this helps.
Old 18 September 2007, 09:20 PM
midas303
Scooby Regular

Mine does the same but only when moving.

Could it be something to do with the prop shaft.? Doesn't do it on mine when accelerating, only when decellerating with foot off the accelerator and at slower speeds.

Hope you don't mind me joining your thread...
Old 19 September 2007, 05:17 PM
sparky N
Scooby Regular

No probs mate, the noise is most noticable on decelleration but there is a little "noise" in neutral that disappears when you dip the clutch which i'm guessing would also point to the primary bearings? sce8arl did you replace your fully sinth with castrol syntrax? that's what's in my box at the moment? and is only just over a year old as i filled the box with new oil when i fitted it? had no problems with noises until now and it feels as good as it did when i fitted it? i have heard that these boxes don't like fully synth?
Can anyone confirm my theory on the speedo reading high?
Thanks for all the replies BTW.
Cheers Neil.
Old 19 September 2007, 06:52 PM
fluffy1970
Scooby Regular

Got the same problem with mine was told by local garage it was bearings in the front transfer box.Believe transfer box can be removed without having to remove gearbox.I decided to wait and repair it when next time clutch is done as bearings can last ages.Or keep you foot down and your music up and you want hear it
Old 20 September 2007, 07:15 PM
wez wrx
Scooby Regular

Sparky it must be the input shaft bearings! there the only ones that move in neutral.
if you can make the noise go on and off with the clutch when in neutral thats what it is.
It makes the noise on decelleration because when you let off, your taking the load off the bearings making the worn bearings more noticable.
Bet the noise goes as soon as you put your foot down?
Old 20 September 2007, 09:56 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steve ball
Is this noise a rubbing/catching noise? i have a my00 uk classic, never had any probs until i had an excedy clutch and fidanza flywheel fitted. Its like a catching noise when u de-celerate. Third and second is the most noticeable for me between 2500 and 1500 revs as you are approaching a junction and engine breaking as it were. Then it goes as i dip the clutch. My mechanic mate is going to have my box out to check everything but i rekon an email to david at api is the way forward as its bugging the hell out of me!
Strange that mine also started doing this after fitting an excedy clutch!

Been like it for 2 years and hasn't got any worse.

Wayne.
Old 21 September 2007, 11:02 PM
sparky N
Scooby Regular

I've fitted an exedy organic clutch too mate? Are they supposed to be a noisy clutch? I thought the problem was most likely the input shaft bearing as the box goes quiet when you dip the clutch thus disengaging the drive from the primary shaft? or could dipping the clutch cause it to stop making this noise if it is the source of it in the first place?
Old 22 September 2007, 12:51 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get this overrun noise on my clutch aswell, but it's the standard subaru clutch and hasn't been changed ever. So I'm guessing the noise is something other than the clutch? Like if you guys have all changed ur clutches......and then it starts happening.....maybe it's just coincidence and something else is on it's way out on the gearbox like? I dunno. I just assumed the noise meant something was on it's way out y'know? I read somewhere that a standard clutch normally lasts about 45k miles, and I'm coming up to 53k now on mine so it's doing well! lol. It just sounds......'rough' I think is the best way to describe it?