Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Newbie question about MY01

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2001, 08:06 PM
john coffey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone please tell me if I was to get a full scooby sport de-cat exhaust from end to end and the recommended air filter to go with it, would that increase the power to the same as a MY01 with a PPP?
Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it when I searched!
And also what is the noise level like with a full ss exhaust? I live in a quiet cul-de-sac and often come home late, is this likely to wake people up?
Cheers
Old 14 December 2001, 08:49 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Smile

John

Its safe to say if you are using the standard exhaust at present then changing to a full Scooby Sport system would make a hell of a diference to noise. Who gives a damn about the neighbours though

Drive it slowly and you'll not make too much noise. Wake the tubocharger up and all hell breaks loose. I've got a Prodrive BB and the nieghbours all tell me when I come home at 3am that they hear me, but nobody seems to mind too much, infact my immediate neighbour loves the noise.

As far as performance goes there have been many debates about PPP vs full decat. You pays your money and you takes your choices. A full decat does nothing for your warranty and the PPP if you have a U.K. car keeps it intact. The full decat does increase power to a similar level of the PPP. The main bonus of PPP as far as I have read is the driveablility (crap spelling) of the car. Both make a hell of a difference over standard though. You could always get both = about 275-280 bhp

Cheers

Nathan

MY01 4dr
Old 14 December 2001, 08:53 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Mine has a full ScoobySport decat including turbo up pipe, plus ITG panel filter. Pete Croney's ScoobySport car rolling roaded at 244bhp prior to up pipe and mine is identical so would estimate at around 250bhp/240ftlb. There is probably no real difference between this and a PPP car.

RB5Scott's car with the above exhaust setup PLUS PPP RR'd at 288bhp.

Check out the dyno page.

My next mod will take mine over 300bhp
Old 14 December 2001, 11:22 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Talking

I test drove a PPP'd MY01 with a serious view to buying one having heard great things about it on this BBS. To be honest I was underwhelmed, although the car was quicker it was not £1600 quicker and not night and day different like the PPP I had on my MY99.

Also having looked at dyno readings for PPP cars, the ones I have seen are making nothing like the claimed torque on the rollers at least, more like what Pete's car was making.

So instead I went for SS D/P and C/S, with ITG filter. Having had it for 2 weeks or so now, my reaction is it feels at least as quick as the PPP'd car I drove, plus you get the superb noise (be warned though, it is quite loud). As I already had a Prodrive backbox, it only cost me just £535, a bit better that £1600 I think

Unlike Dave T-S I haven't had the up-pipe done, as the car is legal emissions-wise without that mod. However Dave is working hard at convincing me otherwise

I suspect my long term plan is the same as Dave's performance-wise, however for now I'm going to concentrate on other mods and let people like Dave do the pioneering in that direction

Cheers

Simon
Old 15 December 2001, 01:13 AM
DT
Scooby Regular

I have the full Scoobysport works on mine too incl the up-pipe. haven't done a back to back with a PPP yet so can't compare but it's noticably quicker than standard.

Have Dynomatted the boot & doors but wifey still moans about the noise. But she only rides in it about once a week so tough! That's the only time I'm really away of it in a negative way, as a driver it's gives you a real buzz, and makes you feel like you are driving something special.

re neighbours, it's louder in the mornings when cold and reving higher on idle, in the evenings I just pootle down the road, so quiet then.
Hope to get a Link soon so bhp should then show a significant hike over PPP.
Old 15 December 2001, 08:55 AM
john coffey
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your help, my mind is now set, a full ss exhaust system
When I come home late I'll just turn the engine off and push it up the road.
Cheers
Old 16 December 2001, 05:52 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

i installed the scoobysport bb, centre sections and down pipe on my my 01 a couple of weeks ago. it's still not making any pops and bangs (but i'll give it time!) but very impressed with performance. no complaints from neighbours, surprisingly, (yet) but agree with the 'noisier when cold' comments (or maybe i just got used to it when i've driven home)

how much difference will an up-pipe make, and how difficult are they to fit (lost 30% of my hands trying to get the heat shield off for the down-pipe- won't do that again in a hurry!)
Old 17 December 2001, 03:43 PM
TKH
Scooby Regular

Who lost 30 % of hands

Old 17 December 2001, 03:58 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

RRH - decat up pipe = flames - need I say more??

simes - i'm obviously not trying hard enough
Old 17 December 2001, 05:58 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Red face

TKH- fair comment & credit where it's due.
maybe that's where the wierd cooking smell is coming from!
Old 17 December 2001, 08:31 PM
TKH
Scooby Regular

No i think you'll find thats your ****

p.s. could be time to try some octane booster

Regards

Tim
Old 17 December 2001, 08:39 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Wink

ho ho ho
Old 17 December 2001, 08:44 PM
PRINCESS DUFFER
Scooby Newbie

Ive got an MY01 with a PPP and whilst the scoobysport exhaust does make the car a lot quicker and sound wonderful, its not as quick through the gears as the PPP!! Cant understand how you can be underwelmed by the PPP - it makes an absolutely huge difference to my car.

But I'd love a scoobysport Up-pipe and down-pipe

That would be fantastic!!!

xxx