Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

2000rpm loss of power - non turbo

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2006, 10:00 PM
dansorensen
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000rpm loss of power - non turbo

Hi, First time Impreza owner and first post so please bear with me. Thouroughly enjoying the experience, watching people dive for cover, pull out your way in a hurry, turn around to see what the bloomin noise is etc...

Problem is the noise sounds like a misfire on 96 AWD sport between 2000-3000rpm. I've looked all over the forum and decided it could be 1 of a hundred possibilties:

The car's fitted with an air induction kit - which on a non-turbo sounds a bit of a waste of time? I doubt it was calibrated by the previous owner so I'm tempted to replace with original kit if this is going to impact on ECU/fuel mix?

Part of the above kit involved moving the solenoid back but it appears that it was getting wet through the bonnet scoop cos they've put a plastic bag around it which fills with condensation anyway - this is bad right?

Then's there's MAF sensors...oh lordy.

The other option of course is that I've knackered the clutch myself by pulling away too fast (there was a bit of a burning smell!). The juddering and loss of power is mainly from 1st/2nd gear, is intermittent, and clears as the revs rise - though power doesn't seem as it should even at higher speeds, like someones nicked a few horses. Most posts complain about problems from cold but this seems to get worse the more I drive, mornings are actually fine.

Want to love the car but I think I need to give it some TLC to get the best back from her.

Thanks
Dan
Old 24 November 2006, 10:40 PM
prana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my guess would be a non calibrated MAF which may causing the car to run on limp, lost of power, rich and conservative timing. Very easy to check via a dealer with diagnostics. Recalibrate the MAF to account for increased air, or put the stock box back on (cheaper) as an alternative and see if your car starts to beave again, if it does then you found your problem

Last edited by prana; 24 November 2006 at 11:04 PM.