Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Smokey MY00 Uk Turbo Full S/S System

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2001, 01:30 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posted on behalf of ScottW who can't come to the net right now

Coming back from the IOW last night Scott's UK Wagon MY00 Turbo with a full Scoobsport exhaust (d/p, mid and bb) was spewing out a fair bit of smoke. Drove back from Southampton to Bracknell and upon arrival all seemed ok - no smoke. Cleaned the exhaust and ran the car on tickover with a white cloth and it came away clean. This morning went out to start the car and again all was fine no smoke. All this time he's been driving around not using the turbo and seemed ok. Went to Romford today and all was ok but on arrival, the car started to chuck out smoke again on tickover. Car now seems to be ok again on the drive back. Oil was checked at 6ish last night before boarding the ferry and again this morning and it isn't losing oil - the level is the same.

Anyone got any ideas what this could be? Suggestions of things to look for, check etc????

Cheers
Neil.
Old 22 October 2001, 02:07 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

No idea, but good luck in sorting it out, and heres hoping its nothing serious.

David.
Old 22 October 2001, 05:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the smoke whitish in colour??
It could be the oil on the inside of the exhaust just burning away, it may take a few hundred miles for it to soot up a little and hopefully it will be ok after that
Mine did it one day, started the car and big plume of white smoke out of the exhaust, had nothing since then and the exhaust is lovely and sooty now

Tony
Old 23 October 2001, 07:50 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Mine always puts a some crap out after I've spent all week commuting slowly in traffic and I open it up on a lovely clear piece of road

I think it gets somewhat choked up, and needs a good bootfull now and again to clear its lungs.

Old 23 October 2001, 04:25 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Thanks Neil for posting this for me.

Tony the smoke is/was mainly white with a blue tinge.

The car hadn't done any commuting at the weekend as we spent most of the time taking in the local scenery on the Isle of Wight.

I've taken it to a dealership who said the oil level is as it should be and that it's not leaking anywhere obvious. I've given the car a booting (following instruction from the dealership) and so far I've not had anymore smoke in almost 200 miles
Old 23 October 2001, 10:00 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Could be turbo oil seals. Especially if you are not obviously using much oil.

Does the smoke get worse when the car is boosting?

If so the turbo is on the way out.

Trout
Old 24 October 2001, 08:50 AM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Trout,

I drove to Romford I drove at 2000 rpm everywhere just to see if it had any effect, and this is when it let out a big cloud of smoke once stopped. Since then and the visit to the dealership I've been driving normally (i.e. Using boost) and nothing happens.

I only seemed to get the smoke once I'd let my car idle for a good couple of minutes. I've again done this since the trip to the dealership and nothing has happened.

Scott
Old 25 October 2001, 12:15 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hiya scott im no tech head but i had a nissan sylvia turbo do exactly that! very infrequent, mainly when left ticking over then huge amounts poured out! they did valve seals and ll that, but it was the turbo seals in the end, no oil was used as a small drop can cause worrying amounts of smoke. same with audi quattro we had turbo seals again, the dealer did engine rebulid to find it was still smoking!! Hope it helps only speaking from past experiences, god knows why i bought anoter turbo charged car! lee
Old 25 October 2001, 12:26 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hiya scott im no tech head but i had a nissan sylvia turbo do exactly that! very infrequent, mainly when left ticking over then huge amounts poured out! they did valve seals and ll that, but it was the turbo seals in the end, no oil was used as a small drop can cause worrying amounts of smoke. same with audi quattro we had turbo seals again, the dealer did engine rebulid to find it was still smoking!! Hope it helps only speaking from past experiences, god knows why i bought anoter turbo charged car! lee
Old 25 October 2001, 02:21 AM
submannz
Scooby Regular

Check you ECU codes you will most likely have a problem with your O2 sensor. Black smoke is running too rich.

Dan
Old 25 October 2001, 04:15 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Lee thanks for that - it seems to be the answer most people are suggesting. I'm going to try and book it in to a dealer and see what they say.

I'll let you know what happens.