Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Lifting a back wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2005, 12:06 AM
tath
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifting a back wheel?

Bit of an unnerving one when this first happened!

Pretty slow cornering up a steep camber-changing hill and suddenly the revs went from about 2k to 3.5k without any change in acceleration. Felt a bit like a slipping clutch. Since then i've had it a couple of times coming out of sharp junctions and on strange angled surfaces like entering my steep drive.

Am i safe to assume that one wheel is lifting due to the ludicrously stiff Cuscos not dropping the wheel more than about a cm ?

The car is an RA with a plated rear diff and DCCD in free, so is that the kind of slip one would expect?

Any help muchos appreciated!
Old 30 November 2005, 09:39 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Mine does it all the time on track - caused by suspension set-up in general (ARB's also have a big influence) and cornering speed.

Richard
Old 30 November 2005, 10:23 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll probably find that all the suspension has very little up and down travel and that the front is compressing further than the droop on the rear. Bit of a problem to fix if that is the case, other than tightening up a rear LSD and keeping drive to the remaining floor mounted rear wheel.
It would be easier to offer a more constructive opinion after sight of the car.

Good Luck David APi
Old 30 November 2005, 12:07 PM
Tim-H
Scooby Regular

mine does the same , it`s lifting and spinning the inside wheel untill the diffs catch it, mine was worse with very hard billy`s on, lot better with pss9`s, if you wind a bit more center diff on, it calms it down ( I always run a min of 1 click anyway, 2 in the wet, besides general grip stabilises the braking)
Have a good one
Tim
ps David, please correct me if I am wrong but the DCCD in open is not truly open, it is something like 65/35 but that is a torque split not a % split, you could not hold the front wheels still and spin the rears for more than a split second ( jdm 6 spd/dccd bought from you about 8 months ago, more than 400bhp going through it, superb box, never did say thanks :-)
thanks
Tim
Old 30 November 2005, 12:19 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim-H
mine does the same , it`s lifting and spinning the inside wheel untill the diffs catch it, mine was worse with very hard billy`s on, lot better with pss9`s, if you wind a bit more center diff on, it calms it down ( I always run a min of 1 click anyway, 2 in the wet, besides general grip stabilises the braking)
Have a good one
Tim
ps David, please correct me if I am wrong but the DCCD in open is not truly open, it is something like 65/35 but that is a torque split not a % split, you could not hold the front wheels still and spin the rears for more than a split second ( jdm 6 spd/dccd bought from you about 8 months ago, more than 400bhp going through it, superb box, never did say thanks :-)
thanks
Tim
I knew that !!

Kind regards David
Old 30 November 2005, 12:49 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does exactly the same, just drive round it!
I tried softening the roll bar rate to gain some 'compliance' but it made less tight bends worse!
Graham.
Old 30 November 2005, 01:14 PM
Tim-H
Scooby Regular

forgot to mention , can be used for the fun factor aswell, not that i would ever do it, but if someone in a similar, car exits the same pub as I do very occasionally, floors it just before the tight exit, off camber, off a small kerb, it will light all 4 up going up the hill, if anyone ever did it , i would presume a scoob smoking all 4 tyre`s from a virtual standstill may look impressive :-)
Have a good one
Tim
Old 30 November 2005, 01:16 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

I think I'm going to start driving with a bit more centre diff lock and stop worrying, after all it's getting a wee bit slippery out there .

Had my geometry done at the same time as the coilovers and still getting used to a car that handles

FYI the car is a MY95 STI-RA which came with throwaway suspension and every adjustment apart from the front camber was out of tolerance

Thanks for all the replies gents, you've put my mind at ease and all that

edit: Just remembered - there's a clunk/click/thump just started coming from the rear n/s suspension. Shaft felt ok in the rain last night so I'm guessing ARB bush? Which probably isn't helping my cause either...

Last edited by tath; 30 November 2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old 30 November 2005, 06:15 PM
Scooby Regular

Bit of a boring video, but you can see the conditions (in the wet) with my V3 Sti on 'dry' settings, wait for the last few seconds and watch the rear wheel lift.
This is the only bend on 5 hill climb tracks i race on that this happens.
http://jusspress.com/daymainframe.ph...102&imageNum=3

Graham (too old to go faster)
Old 30 November 2005, 10:19 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
(too old to go faster)
Crikey, wouldn't have wanted to meet you when you were 17 with the immortality card that's issued with new licences

I'm gonna get the Whiteline rear droplinks as i can't even be arsed to start messing around with those plastic affairs.

Be all right with the steel ones? Alloy is a bit bling for £40 extra. Next mod is a Whiteline rear ARB then I'll be a happy bunny
Old 30 November 2005, 10:36 PM
Scooby Regular

You won't be happy for long.
You will be back for more
You will realise that there is a fine chassis under the car and when you finally get there... is the result.

ps: I did not win the race in the video, an EVO did and the driver is 61 years old. I'm not there yet, but catching him up in more ways than 'chronolgically'!
I'll catch him next year!
Graham.
Old 30 November 2005, 11:55 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

Won't be happy Whiteline ALK, Cusco coilovers, 225 Potenzas, solid rear droplinks + Whiteline ARB, Whiteline geometry settings, all in a RA?? If i can get it better please tell me how!!??

Thinking of getting it corner weighted next year and a new set of Teins from www.rsemotorsportuk.com they seem to know their stuff and they're 2 miles down the road from me.
Old 01 December 2005, 07:15 AM
Scooby Regular

You have lots to do yet!
It does go on for a bit longer but the changes are more extreme and the car will loose a lot of it's great all rounder quality.
If you wish, see my Projects thread 'In search of the Perfect Chassis'

Graham.
Old 03 December 2005, 12:35 AM
hmhaga
Scooby Regular

My MY98 wagon got much worse after fitting a rear whiteline strutbar.
Strange, but the rear end of the chassis of the classic wagon must be VERY flexible as the change was very noticeable.