Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Thought my clutch was slipping but now im puzzled - any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2005, 08:01 PM
Omen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thought my clutch was slipping but now im puzzled - any ideas?

MY99 WRX Sti Type RA
22K miles.

Other day i accelerated in 4th and when boost kicked in engine revved right up and i thought i had lit the back wheels up and thought nothing of it. Then, the day after it happened again and i looked at boost and it went right up to 1.3bar for a second then revs dropped and boost too to normal levels. I could then do it all the time in 4th.

Reckoned it was clutch but couldnt believe it after 22K miles and it hasnt been abused at all. Some hard driving now and again but no launches or drags etc... So i was resigned to it been the clutch but thought id try a couple of things to make sure.

I tried a stall start in 5th and it stalled but it was on a uphill slope. Tried it again with more revs on flat and slower release of clutch and it almost stalled but kept going but was chuggin like ****. Honked like hell and was almost gippin with the smell.

Anyway still wasnt sure so ive just taken it for a good blast and inlcuded up and down the motorway. No matter how hard i pushed in 4th and 5th i now cant get it to slip again - if it ever was that.

It wasnt over boost cos ive experienced that before - this was different.

Im now scratching my head and cancelled the clutch i was going to buy as it seems spot on again.

Any idead folks? Could there be a problem with boost that could cause clutch slip like behavour? Suppose i'l be happy if its not clutch but at least i would have known what it was.
Old 27 November 2005, 09:32 PM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

I had a similar thing for a day or two and thought that the clutch was slipping under hard acceleration and then it stopped doing it. I'm sure that it wasn't overboost and a mechanic that I spoke to said that it could have been a high spot on the clutch plate. (MY98, 30K)
Old 28 November 2005, 11:13 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

More than likely it is your clutch, They don't always slip constantly. Just check that the clutch arm on the gearbox still has it's return spring fitted (Not Broken & fell off)
But otherwise i would say this will gradually get worse

Dean
Old 28 November 2005, 11:52 AM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

Had the same on my MY00 at about 24K miles.. Thought oh no bit early for a new clutch.. Anyway - it has reappeared once or twice in the two years since then ( but not as bad ). Now on 56K with the same clutch and not done it for over a year.
Old 28 November 2005, 03:59 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

I think part of the problem with scoob clutches is that the fluid heats up and expands which takes up all the freeplay in the clutch pedal.

This results in the release bearing puting a little preasure on the cover which causes the slipping this is certainly the case with my car

Check the freeplay when cold then again when hot you will see what i mean my pedal is actually solid sometimes with nil freeplay!!
Old 01 December 2005, 01:28 PM
Omen
Scooby Regular

Talking Update

Well its now 4 days since i had any slip!! Fingers crossed it was a high spot etc and the stall start sorted that out! lol

I had got myself all motivated to do the clutch too so a little disappointed im not going to be doing it in a away but id rather not have to do it right now especially with the expense and the cold weather.

I thought 22K miles and a non abused clutch was a bit of a short lifespan.

You watch - itl be slippin its nads off on my way home tonight! Such is life.

Thanks for the feedback peeps.
Old 03 December 2005, 01:12 AM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

22k ?????????????????
i wish,lol.
replacing mine monday after 4000 miles