Best bigger MAF for classic ealry Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2005, 09:34 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Best bigger MAF for classic ealry Impreza

As the car will need a remap soon, and the MAF voltage currently maxes out at 5900 rpm then what would be the recommended higher flowing / measuring MAF?

I heard of the Z32 / 300ZX MAF being an easy fit?

The car is a 94 with 90 degree turbo inlet.

Not sure of inlet pipe sizes but are the Z32 a 90 mm diameter? Am i looking for higher reading MAF or higherflowing or both?

Any others, and what sort of cost?
I have seen these on ebay 2nd hand but from 1996 cars?

hanks

Neil

PS yes, I know it needs rescaling during the remap - Apexi PFC.
Old 03 September 2005, 09:44 AM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on what you are looking for. The z32 maf is pyhsically the same size, so will go straight in with whatever induction you already have. If you can get the connector to match, it's an easy swap and the unit is good for around 500hp.

Another option has recently presented itself though, I mentioned it to Andy, so if he is doing your remap he may be interested in giving it a try.

Paul
Old 03 September 2005, 09:52 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks Paul.

Yeah, was going to have the remap by Andy ( he did last one ) once I get the car back from API and run in! I'll drop him a note and enquire!

Looking for a MAF that can read the air flow to the red line at the current 360 (and small hike in !) power to maybe 400 bhp.
Ive seen Z32 items and they do look the same, but seen similar that were 90 mm diameter ( think my OEM one is 80 mm ).

Would that spoil low flow response ?? ( 90 mm ones )?

Thanks

Neil
Old 03 September 2005, 12:55 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I have a Z32 MAF... option 3 in the Apexi air flow menu and as Paul says same physical size so an easy swap (no 90mm versions out there).

You could also get a Q45 MAF which is 90mm but as Paul said the Z32 being capable of 500bhp should satify your needs. Not that expesive either. £75 with connector on e-bay quite often, or go to a Nissan breakers (which i did.... less than £50 ).

Both the above Nissan MAFS are quite 'rugged' too.

Tony.
Old 04 September 2005, 10:47 AM
megrac
Scooby Regular

Has anybody ever just put a diode in line on the output of the maf to drop the voltage by half a volt then remaped to suit?
Most maf's will read well above 5volts but the loggers or ecu's they're connected to don't so the doide might work.
This works well for my maf when im just logging it with the sm4 and need some more headroom.
Old 06 September 2005, 11:21 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Got me a 2nd hand Z32 from USA .. but also got a deal for *NEW* Z32 MAFs at about £190 including plug ... if I can get 5 sales... Else about £225 ... carriage about £20.

Any interest here for classics pushing their maf to it's limits with high airflow / big turbos, FMICs etc. ?

Also about £490 plus £25 carriage for Apexi PFC including hand commander.

Just a thought, I fancy a NEW maf!!! ( got my PFC from here! )
Old 08 September 2005, 12:11 PM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by vulnax999
Got me a 2nd hand Z32 from USA .. but also got a deal for *NEW* Z32 MAFs at about £190 including plug ... if I can get 5 sales... Else about £225 ... carriage about £20.

Any interest here for classics pushing their maf to it's limits with high airflow / big turbos, FMICs etc. ?

Also about £490 plus £25 carriage for Apexi PFC including hand commander.

Just a thought, I fancy a NEW maf!!! ( got my PFC from here! )
Silly thought here. If you took the later induction pipe from a 98-00 (larger ID) and just cut out the early maf sensor and plug and fixed it into this later tube would that not just do the same job but for FAR less than a Z32 MAF????? i have the Apexi induction with multiple holes so it will bolt to the later pipe also.

Obviously you would have to rescale and remap for this change.

Stuart

Trending Topics

Old 08 September 2005, 12:23 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coulty
Obviously you would have to rescale and remap for this change.

Stuart
There's the reason for you.... so much easier to just plug in the Z32 (you may have to do some rescaling but no where near as much). Also you have to source the larger tube... that will cost some £, my Z32 MAF and plug cost much less than £50 , just not worth the hassle of doing something 'custom' when a cheap plug and play solution is available IMHO.

However considering the cost of a new one... £250 would put me right off and the hacksaw, blue tack and hammer would come out

Tony.