Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Engine goes bang, ah well??????

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2005, 07:20 AM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine goes bang, ah well??????

Hi All,

I'm sorry, but am I missing something, I just read a tread statig "My Engine went bang?????????" and the thing I feel I'm missing, Is it just accpted??

WHY??????

"oh look my engine on my new (ish) 30K car blow up, ah well it going to happen, I'll drop down the garage for a rebuit.!!! "WHAT!!

Really am sorry if there a really good reason to just taking this and (a) you alot have stupid amounts of money to burn or (b) you all idoits!(which by the way your all not, :-) )

Some please clarify this for me... Thanks
Old 22 April 2005, 08:35 AM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

OH dear god,

I might have over estimented the people on this board!!!! No replies!! So one can explain this?

You all just accept it...???

How about an easier question, Does happen only to Imports or European car?

Later

"Is it Gravity or does the world just Suck!"
Old 22 April 2005, 08:36 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

I think some people have an outlook on life that sort of says "Ah well, I enjoyed pushing the car, drove it hard so I've got to accept the consequences. It's only metal after all"

Whereas I worry constant about the state of my engine, will the car still be on the drive in the morning etc...

Perhaps the former have it sussed?

...or they have more money than sense
Old 22 April 2005, 08:48 AM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

Think you have to balance everything. Yes, I worry about my engine going bang as well, even though it's only lightly modded (filter, exhaust only), but that doesn't stop me doing enthusiastic drives down the twisties and the odd trackday. If it goes, it goes. It'll hurt my pocket, sure, but at the end of the day I bought the Scoob to enjoy, not to worry about.
Old 22 April 2005, 08:52 AM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies,

I have returned to inner calm :-)
Old 22 April 2005, 09:53 AM
Luke C
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes my engine went bang. Well done in your observation, i take it you attended night school to learn how to do this.

Not once did i say i was happy about my engine going bang but rather than being a complete child about it and crying for hours on end and moaning i took the route of getting on with life and sorting it out.

So i can afford to re build my engine to 500BHP - Many appologies for having a good job that pays me serious amounts of money and lets me enjoy the finer thinigs in life.

If you are at the Jap show ill look for a scoob with a selection of recently thrown out toys and dummies around it and ill come over for a chat.

I take it you were bullied at school or someone had a better transformer than you. Is that where the jealousy stems from?

I hope this reply is not too grown up for you perhaps you would prefer some good old name calling. Ok Ok ill start............Mr. poopy pants? Or how about 'wee wee man'?

Post your address and ill happily send you some nappies or perhaps would would prefer a cheque for 75p so you can buy yourself a better personality.

Bye for now
Old 22 April 2005, 10:01 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Originally Posted by Luke C
Yes my engine went bang. Well done in your observation, i take it you attended night school to learn how to do this.

Not once did i say i was happy about my engine going bang but rather than being a complete child about it and crying for hours on end and moaning i took the route of getting on with life and sorting it out.

So i can afford to re build my engine to 500BHP - Many appologies for having a good job that pays me serious amounts of money and lets me enjoy the finer thinigs in life.

If you are at the Jap show ill look for a scoob with a selection of recently thrown out toys and dummies around it and ill come over for a chat.

I take it you were bullied at school or someone had a better transformer than you. Is that where the jealousy stems from?

I hope this reply is not too grown up for you perhaps you would prefer some good old name calling. Ok Ok ill start............Mr. poopy pants? Or how about 'wee wee man'?

Post your address and ill happily send you some nappies or perhaps would would prefer a cheque for 75p so you can buy yourself a better personality.

Bye for now
Luke,

I don't think he was having a pop at you mate, least that's not how I read it.
Old 22 April 2005, 10:02 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Think she's upset!

MB
Old 22 April 2005, 10:12 AM
eric Scofield
Scooby Regular

"Luke,

I don't think he was having a pop at you mate, least that's not how I read it."

nah nor me, but that was a highly amusing reply nonetheless ...

Old 22 April 2005, 10:17 AM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

Talking

Wasnt having a go at you Luke, untangle you panty's! :-)

I really happy that, you feel you need to spent large amounts of money on a jap car to get it to 500bhp, Nice one, I mean it!!

I was pointing out that, this problem seems to be accepted, as its going to happen, not that your happy about it!

Sorry if I upset you, easy off the coffee :-)
Old 22 April 2005, 10:22 AM
Luke C
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, Currently reducing coffee intake dramatically.

Also, currently untangling pants.

Yup all done.

No hard feelings

Last edited by Luke C; 22 April 2005 at 10:31 AM.
Old 22 April 2005, 10:23 AM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

It happened to my Dads MY02 WRX while still under warranty.

He wasnt too pleased, as he had to drive around in a Golf 1.4 for a week, but it was still under warranty, so he wasnt gonna complain too much. They took the car in, worked out what was wrong, fitted a brand new engine to a 20k mile car, and gave it back, having given it a good clean. Oh, and that was Simpsons Subaru, near Swindon, so if your engine blows up take it to them, at least you'll have good service!

Anyway, I pity the MY99 owners who have suffered with the weak MAF sensor whilst out of warranty.

Adam
Old 22 April 2005, 11:37 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

A lot of imports have gone 'bang' due to things like people running the wrong fuel with a dodgey maf sensor, it gives scoobys a bad name. Chav's seem to like to comment about how they would never own a scoob since they all blow up (and cost more than £300) ) after a mate of theirs neglected one and thrashed an sti to death on 95 octane fuel. you wouldn't run your 911 on diesel would you

Other people, like myself keep tuning them. eventually it's going to 'pop' the standard engine will only take so much. I maintain it well, and will be upset, but I know it's coming so can't complain. It's not that i'm an idiot or have too much money it's just something I love to do.

And some people look after them properly, keep them standard and they still go wrong, happens with every car. subaru didn't top the jd power survey a few years back for building unreliable cars.

Dave
Old 22 April 2005, 12:47 PM
dogpole
Scooby Regular

I'm running 1.5bar on standard internals and accept theres more than a 50/50 chance it will probably go bang, ok i take the necessary measures with optimax, booster and knocklink.
But if it does go bang, i'll have to pay for a rebuild, granted it will be a 2.2, you only live once.

dp

Old 22 April 2005, 02:25 PM
New_scooby_04

[QUOTE=bobn3]OH dear god,

How about an easier question, Does happen only to Imports or European car?

QUOTE]

There was a big thread about this a while ago. David at APi who rebuilds Scooby engines contributed the following nuggets:

1) It is predominantly imports. I think he mentioned about 90% of the cars he sees.

2) Many cars go bang after being in a new owners hands for not much longer than a couple of weeks? Speculated it's cause the new owners don't know how to look after/drive them

3) Many cars arrive with the fuel tanks on/near empty

Basically if you:

Use the appropriate grade of fuel -with octane booster- if applicable
Service the car properly with the good stuff i.e fully synth of the right grade
Warm it up and cool it down
Don't run the petrol right down to the bottom all the time
Don't mod/Modify it sensibly

You shouldn't have any problems.

Unfortunately, there will always be a couple that let go, even given the best of owners!

NS04
Old 22 April 2005, 04:04 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

If *well* modded, there is no reason why these engines cant last nearly as long as a standard one. I will go back to the John Banks example, UK car modded to way over 400bhp and lasted a long time so far!

There are a lot of people on here who go off on their own experimantal modding route, without much knowledge. There are plenty of modded cars with a lot of miles under the belt.

That's where it goes wrong. Ive spoken to many a chav at the petrol station driving the obligatory L reg WRX - they always try and tell you the car has 350bhp (while filling with NUL) with the aid of a bleed valve a big filter and a shiny backbox. "Standard turbo is it?" - "yes" you try and tell them but they dont listen...

There are plenty of them lurking on here too

Clearly non modded cars do go bang, im not denying that - just talking about modded ones here as there seems to be a perception they cant handle a big power hike.

MB
Old 22 April 2005, 04:11 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark

Clearly non modded cars do go bang, im not denying that - just talking about modded ones here as there seems to be a perception they cant handle a big power hike.

MB
I guess at the very least we need to remember that UK cars have ECUs set up to take account of the restrictive std exhaust system. Go for a free flowing one, get a remap by professional (knocklink and boost guage to be safe) and there is no reason why the car's reliability should be compromised.

NS04
Old 23 April 2005, 04:54 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

new scooby 04, yup, agree with what you said in your thread, and dark blue mark, those chavs are exactly the one's that give scoobs a bad name

As I recall John banks' 2.0L ran 1.6bar boost on ported headers with a FMIC, before swiftly swapping it for a 2.5L (after the 2.33 fell though if I recall the thread correctly), you couldn't hope for a reliable uk 2.0L at that level for a realistic lenght of time really.

Dave