Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

piston slap

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2005, 05:00 PM
acf8181
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default piston slap

just trying to gain knowledge before pruchasing a scooby (maybe upto a years time, but best to learn before buying), and have heard a few people saying some scooby's suffer from piston slap. whats the deal? is it only certain years? and is there anyway of diagnosing it when viewing a car?
Old 23 January 2005, 07:03 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by acf8181
just trying to gain knowledge before pruchasing a scooby (maybe upto a years time, but best to learn before buying), and have heard a few people saying some scooby's suffer from piston slap. whats the deal? is it only certain years? and is there anyway of diagnosing it when viewing a car?
From what I've learnt it is mainly my98's, though my97's have been known to have it. It seemed to have occured fairly early on in a car's life and most will have been dealt with under warranty.
It is pretty obvious when car is cold, so I'm told.
People more in the know will no doubt correct/expand this.

Nick
Old 23 January 2005, 07:29 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm

Check out Common Problems...

Sam
Old 23 January 2005, 07:35 PM
XS-Home
Scooby Regular

Listen to the car from cold, if you hear a mettalic kncok every now & again its more than likely to be piston slap; if it goes after 10 minutes then not a major issue, if it doesn't then at this stage walk away; unless you want an engine build
Old 23 January 2005, 07:37 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much are the costs for resolving a Piston Slap issue on a 1998 Scooby...?

Also if in the event the engine had to be rebuilt for are the rough costs?
Old 23 January 2005, 09:59 PM
acf8181
Scooby Regular

many thanks for the replies guys.

i'll have a read through that link, cheers sam.

xs-home - what were to happen if you ignored the rattling...would the engine eventually pop? you'd start using up more oil as well wouldn't you?
Old 24 January 2005, 10:18 AM
AvalancheS8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by acf8181
many thanks for the replies guys.

i'll have a read through that link, cheers sam.

xs-home - what were to happen if you ignored the rattling...would the engine eventually pop? you'd start using up more oil as well wouldn't you?
Providing the noise stops once the car has warmed up it won't cause any problems beyond the noise. At this level it doesn't seem to develop any further or cause any problems. It just acts as an audible indication of whether the engine is fully warm, so you know when it's O.K to give it some stick !!

My car ('97) is a bit slappy when it's cold, it lasts about 5 - 10 minutes depending on what kind of driving you are doing and the ambient temp. After that it's sweet as a nut, uses no oil and the noise hasn't changed in 30,000 miles (since I've had the car) It's now done 90k.

It's not as big a deal as it is made out to be provided it is quiet when it's warm. Far more than just the '97 & '98 cars suffer from it to some extent, but it does no real harm. In terms of fixing it, pretty much the same work would need to be done to fix one like mine as would be required for one that did it all the time and used oil, so if it goes away when warm there is no point in doing anything about it if you can live with 10 minutes of rattle, since you lose nothing by leaving it. If it gets worse and starts to burn oil you get it fixed, if it stays the same it's no problem. It's not going to cause the engine to go pop and take out lots of other bits.
Old 24 January 2005, 04:56 PM
acf8181
Scooby Regular

thanks for the info again....have now read through the link in full. really helped, i know have some understanding of the car.

think i'm most likely gonna wanna get a MY00, which from what i read elsewhere is the only year you can get the car in my favourite colour, mica red.

my next q regards sunroof, i've started a new thread about it - http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...64#post4219464