Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Oh Dear what have I done !!

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2004, 08:26 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh Dear what have I done !!

This afternoon coming on to A21 at North Farm Ind and exited the big roundabout at full chat, changed into 3rd and this was quickly followed by a loudish bang it came from the front of the car and clutch pedal stayed on the floor and I lost all drive. Coasted to a stop and I could hear a loud rattle coming from clutch area. Gear selection is fine and feels no different, no fuilds leaking and the engine is OK.

Do people think it could be anything other than the clutch going bang? may be the release bearing ???

I've been using an AP organic so I'm a bit disappointed if this is the case.

I will need to replace it with some more suited to handling high outputs, any recommendations which won't cost an arm and a leg? Exedy cermetallic racing clutch, ACT Racing Clutch, Clutch Masters Stage 4.

For those of you who don't know my car I have been sprinting it on a regular basis so it needs to take some abuse but also be driveable.

Mark A

PS big thank you to Jon B for towing me home with his 4 foot tow rope
Old 11 December 2004, 10:49 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

sounds like you have ripped the centre out of the clutch if you can still select gears but have no drive.
Old 11 December 2004, 10:55 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beat me too it P20, sounds about right to me too.
How much power are you putting through the AP organic? Been thinking about a new clutch for mine soon, just waiting for it to start slipping since the remap.

Dan.
Old 11 December 2004, 11:23 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Not more than 350bhp at the moment. I haven't even fitted my 2.5 yet !
Old 11 December 2004, 11:37 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Do you think you could get away with changing the clutch plate and release bearing only if that has happened?

I appreciate it's hard to give advice when I can't say 100% whats happened, it's just bad timing with Christmas just round the corner.

Just looked on the AP website and they now sell a 6 puck sprung drive plate, anybody tried this?

Mark A
Old 12 December 2004, 07:32 AM
Scooby Regular

Mark:
I had a 4 puck ceramic with a sprung centre in my 911.
It makes the clutch tolerable on the road, but the take-up of the paddle type is still 'abrupt' so nose to tail traffic is a real bind.
I used to leave the hill climb at Loton Park in Shrewsbury on a Bank Holiday Monday and the traffic was really bad, but survived that with just my leg feeling dead!
You could contact Super Clutch (Tony Dewson) as Tony knows hill climbing and road clutches well and I think they might have something for the Impreza now, possibly Exeedy. He used to work for AP 10 years ago.

Time to get out and under....

Old 12 December 2004, 10:19 AM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

How long you had the clutch?

Warranty you could possibly claim on.

Jon.
Old 12 December 2004, 01:00 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Jon about 2 1/2 years, but it's only done 5k miles since fitting. I will give them a call, they might offer a discount on a new one.

Graham, thanks for the reminder. I'm gonna have to use a friend's barn I think. I can't face working on the street in this weather.

Mark A
Old 13 December 2004, 12:03 AM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Graham have you a number for super clutch ?

Mark A
Old 13 December 2004, 10:51 AM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Anybody who's used a twin plate clutch ala Exedy or Super Clutch able to give me feed back?

Mark A
Old 13 December 2004, 11:08 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

I have heard that the exedy and OS Giken are superb. Went in a car with 400+bhp and torque on Saturday, and that had the OSG in it, and it felt (as a passenger) as though it coped well with the (extreme) abuse that was being thrown at it.

It convinced me thats the one i am going for.
Old 13 December 2004, 12:16 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Mark, if you hang fire a bit, we are just starting a potential group buy for the OSG twin plate over on 22B.

Steven
Old 13 December 2004, 04:02 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark A

PS big thank you to Jon B for towing me home with his 4 foot tow rope

/QUOTE]

The theory is; the closer you are to an object the lesser the impact- think about it !! 30 mph with a 4 ft gap - moderate hit - 10 ft gap - big hit. 2 inch gap - no hit at all. So I advocate 2 inch tow ropes - 4 foot is for wusses.

David API
Old 13 December 2004, 05:07 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Yeah right David, if only I'd had my pen knife I would have shortened it, Jon was not to happy about cutting up his only tow rope.

Must speak with you David about a 6 speed soon. If the gearbox is coming out for the clutch then I might aswell swop them. I plan to do this in the middle of January. Do the 6 speeds come with a flywheel ?

Spoke with AP today, they want the clutch back to have a look if it has disintergrated, and might be able to sort something out due to the fact it's only covered about 5k. They also suggest that it may be the release bearing thats gone and not the drive plate.

Either way I need to spend some time getting dirty

Mark A
Old 13 December 2004, 05:14 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark A
Yeah right David, if only I'd had my pen knife I would have shortened it, Jon was not to happy about cutting up his only tow rope.

Must speak with you David about a 6 speed soon. If the gearbox is coming out for the clutch then I might aswell swop them. I plan to do this in the middle of January. Do the 6 speeds come with a flywheel ?

Spoke with AP today, they want the clutch back to have a look if it has disintergrated, and might be able to sort something out due to the fact it's only covered about 5k. They also suggest that it may be the release bearing thats gone and not the drive plate.

Either way I need to spend some time getting dirty Mark A
Mark, we have 9 gearboxes arriving on December 30th of which one is earmarked for you. Sounds like relatively good timing as far as that is concerned.

Let me know your master plan and we can get you sorted. There really doesn't seem to be any point in doing the job for a 5 speed to do it all again with the 6 speed a few weeks later.

Your original flywheel is all you need - unless of course it's stuffed, OR if you are going to go ceremetallic clutch then you'll need a billet steel flywheel version as cast ones get ripped to bits in about 30 yards - sometimes 15 yards.......... To answer your question; no our gearboxes don't come with flywheels.

David API

Last edited by APIDavid; 13 December 2004 at 05:17 PM.
Old 13 December 2004, 05:34 PM
Scooby Regular

Mark: Sorry for the delay, Super clutch details are

01926 812136

Postman tried to deliver me a package today, must be the Boost valve as expecting no more bits, so thanks, ps you havn't cashed the cheque yet!!
Old 13 December 2004, 05:47 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
Mark: Sorry for the delay, Super clutch details are

01926 812136

Postman tried to deliver me a package today, must be the Boost valve as expecting no more bits, so thanks, ps you havn't cashed the cheque yet!!
No I've not had chance to get to the bank, and now I'm carless I'll have to visit one lunch time.

I rang super clutch, £992 exe vat for twin plate clutch

AP seem interested in the state of my organic clutch so they might take pity and sort out a new drive plate (6 puck sprung paddle is what I'd want now, as the covers are no different).

Mark A
Old 13 December 2004, 05:55 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

There is a dedicated clutch place on the Colebrook Ind Est, opposite Maccy D's.

Might be worth a try.

What did Jon B tow you home with? Not the GTA
Old 13 December 2004, 06:02 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

Could it be that the centre bearing (or whatever its called ie the thrust bearing) has slipped out of the clutch?

I know of one person who came to me for a gearbox after having a similar incident,and after removing the box found that the release bearing had slipped,or the circlip had come away.

might not need a clutch plate,although you would have the same amount of labour in both...
Old 13 December 2004, 06:18 PM
Scooby Regular

That's a good point, this happened to Carman's RA. Only the ring had popped out. Once back in, no probs (he had a paddle/sprung centre too)
Might as well put a paddle in there.
Old 13 December 2004, 08:37 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Wouldnt that make the clutch perdal very light, infact have no return once depressed? Also wouldnt it make the selection of gears, whilst stationery almost impossible with the engine running?
Old 13 December 2004, 10:27 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the words of encouragement lads, I hope it is something simple.

Nathan, fortunately he used the espace. I'll be buying him a longer tow rope for Christmas.
I will be doing this myself unless Santa's little helpers turn up after the Christmas period.

Mark A