Forester Forum

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2001, 02:49 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Dear Mr. webmaster,
Please could we have a 'Forester Forum'? There's one on I-club, but I'm the only UK driver there!!!
How many Forester owners look at this forum? Make yourselves known!!
Toerag
Old 27 September 2001, 03:13 PM
KevMac
Scooby Regular

Me got Forester Turbo although I’m in Ireland.
Old 27 September 2001, 03:37 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hey KevMac,
quick response, at least you don't have a US spec car! Check your email, I just asked you about your insurance and the WRX based forester!
Toerag
Old 27 September 2001, 03:41 PM
KevMac
Scooby Regular

Check it tonight. I’m at work.
Old 27 September 2001, 04:08 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'm planning on buying my wife a Turbo S next year ..... (as my, I mean her runaround car)...

Matt
Old 27 September 2001, 11:48 PM
obi
Scooby Regular

We have a s/tb, which is quite fun now its fitted with 'proper' tyres and an up-rated swaybar.

Old 28 September 2001, 09:13 AM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

Obi, that's the STi version isn't it? How powerful is it, and are there any other differences with the S-Turbo?
Toerag

PS. The swaybar is supposed to be the best mod you can do to the Forester, good choice.
Old 29 September 2001, 12:53 PM
obi
Scooby Regular

Toerag

the s/tb is different from the sti available in japan. i believe the differences are;
s/tb - 240bhp and reasonably well equiped
t/tb - more carpet, chrome and usually automatic
sti lots more body plastic, chrome and sti suspension components

i think all 3 have the shorter sti gearing which gives 0-60 in 6 seconds and good acceleration up to about 130. above that the gearing and boxy profile make it a struggle to reach 140.happily, most of the modifications available for imprezzas are applicable and 280bhp is easily achieved.

we test drove a uk s-turbo and whilst it is a good car there is no comparison performance wise. so your choice is governed by your feelings towards grey imports. the prodrive package helps close the gap although i had reservations about the cornering. the salesman who followed me in our car spent some time peering at our suspension...!

change the swaybar immediately. an 18mm bar (from a sti) gets rid of the understeer and makes the handling quite neutral. a 21mm bar (some sti and P1) gives good fast turn-in but don't chicken mid corner. took me 20 minutes with a standard socket set. good rubber also helps and we changed to 225 toyo proxys with great results.

enjoy obi

Old 29 September 2001, 05:07 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Hi Obi,
long time no speak - trust the tyres were OK.
Interesting to hear about the suspension mods. Where did you get the info?
I had my stb timed for the Banzai thrash last month and shows what the stb can do. 0-60 in 6.34 secs, 1/4 mile in 15? and 0-100 in 18 ? secs.

I presume my engine is a 240 bhp version (1997). Does anyone know how to increase up to the 260 bhp version?
Is it a very easy add on or major surgery?

It would be nice to have sub sections on the BBS with other models other than the Imprezza. Any questions not connected with the Imprezza seem to get swamped with all the other stuff and forgotten about.

Regards

Nick

Old 29 September 2001, 05:59 PM
obi
Scooby Regular

Nick,

The tyres were a great improvement, how are the 17"ers doing?

The swaybar change seemed so obvious once I realised that the fitted item was only 12mm in diameter. I could twist this item with my hands so there was no chance that it was going to be effective on a 1400kg vehicle. I found a chart from a link on the MRT site which gave the increase in torsion resistance for various diameters and worked from there. I bought s/h 18 & 21mm bars, found a suitable road with reasonable run offs and got fitting and testing. As the Forester is Fifi's car we opted for the 18mm,had it been mine I would have gone for the 21mm. It allows you push into the corners much faster but increases lift off oversteer. However, both greatly improve the cornering and allow you to drift the wheels with confidence. Changing the bar is very easy. None of the suspension moves when you unbolt it and there's just enough room to thread the bar through without moving the exhust.

I am lucky in that I live quite close to Scoobysport so they do our servicing. They believe that the exhaust is quite restrictive so that should be the first change when you want to up the power.

Interested to read your timed figures. Obviously the extra weight doesn't help when comparing a standing start to our smaller brothers. Take heart that two friends with uk imprezza's cannot get away on the straights and don't gain that much in all but the tightest corners.

now....can I wrestle the keys away from Fifi for a quick play?

Obi

Old 01 October 2001, 10:58 AM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

Understeer?
Not the way I drive matey!!!!!
No seriously, I found understeer a problem in the wet, although if I managed to get the fronts to grip in a 1st gear corner I could squirt the back out in my old GLS. I the dry the handling was neutral enough for 4 wheel squeals as long as the corner wasn't too much of a kink. A seven second squeal at 60mph was the best on a spanish mountain A road! Haven't tried anything in the new S-turbo yet due to running in and **** weather.
Toerag
Old 01 October 2001, 11:08 AM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

Oh forgot to ask,
Isn't the swaybar on a turbo thicker than the one on a GLS? I also thought the S T/b was the STi version? Correct me if I'm wrong please. In the meantime go look at
Old 02 October 2001, 10:13 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just following up from Obi,

The US Forester site seems a little confused about the models in Japan. I have also heard that there are other engines with more than 240 bhp. These may be fitted in the mark 2 Forester (1998-), but I am not sure. Hope to have mine on a RR this month.

My tale of putting on 4 pots revolves around getting wheels to fit. The 4 pots are dead easy to fit (about 3/4 hour each side unless the brake hoses are seized).
I really wanted 16" wheels in the same 5 spoke design that my stb came in but I could not get anything to fit. the Imprezza 16" has too much offset and hits the rear struts.
I fitted 17" wheels with Pirelli Pzeros, which I cannot recommend at all for the Forester.

The STi version is a bit tarty (says he whose STB came with extra chrome bits) and not really worth the extra money.
I have seen several TTBs and they have all been autos.

Regards Nick
Old 02 October 2001, 11:05 AM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

Ok, thanks for the info guys!
Next question:- I saw a performance pack for the forester on the prodrive site but it appears to have been pulled. What did it involve, and how much was it? Also, what is the difference between my engine and an impreza turbo 227bhp one?
toerag
Old 02 October 2001, 12:59 PM
obi
Scooby Regular

Toerag

The swaybar on our s/tb was 12mm diameter. I don't know whats on the GLS but I'd be surprised if it could be much thinner.

In Japan the s/tb and sti are advertised as different models. I'm fairly sure that much of the mechanicals are the same except for stiffer sti suspension units. The sti also gets lots more 'aero' body parts, I've seen one and the words 'Oh dear' and 'ah' spring to mind. I believe that there has been talk of the STi Forester being officially imported and much made of the 240bhp. This is the engine that comes with all grey Foresters and so perhaps this has led to the confusion.
A good set of tyres is the first step to sorting the wet weather handling. We got ours from 'butty' when he uprated to 17" rims and you should get some comments based on his experience. Not sure whats on the s turbo but uprating to 4 pots is probably the next job for us and again, Nick can help with tales of his smooth hassle free exchange.

cheers

Obi