Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Sports cat - Any other Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2004, 10:38 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sports cat - Any other Ideas?

I have been looking at this, has anybody got a sports cat?

I take it, I will also need a centre section to join to my Magnex Oval 6x4 rear box

Can anybody give me more info or alternatives, I expect a Tek2-3 remap would not do a miss after fitting.

Any other Ideas?

http://tsl-motorsport.co.uk/exhaust.html
TSL Sports Catalyst for all 01-03 WRX

As a responsible tuner.. both technically and environmentally.. we have long been wanting to achieve a balance between the performance of our de-cat downpipes and the legal and environmental advantages of the factory catalyst.

After months and miles of testing we are extremely proud to announce the launch of this fully catalyst equipped sports downpipe.Crafted in lifetime warranted stainless steel this downpipe improves torque and BHP with gains in the region of 20 BHP being seen on test whilst retaining the emission figures akin to a standard car.

These days with the increasing number of roadside emmisions checks.. its good to know that you can drive a quick car .. with no fear of retribution. This of course brings similar benefits at MOT time, when a Thundercat equipped car will sail through its gas check.

£581.63

Ajax, Paul
Old 18 September 2004, 01:04 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

I ve got that one propper Job, when the car was mapped I was told it was quite good ( probably not lost anything over a full decat but Im only around 280bhp ) Think the sports cats get more restrictive the more power you want to run

the std euro centre section will no longer fit, you could get your self a hks hiper / blitz nur spec r which comes with the centre and fits a treat ( all asuming you have a my01 + car )

as you say its just like putting on a decat so a remap is advised but many do with out
Old 18 September 2004, 07:07 AM
scoobyexhausts
Scooby Regular

We can supply a down pipe with a 100 cell high flow cat in at a cost of £475 + vat =£558.13.

Ian
Old 18 September 2004, 08:06 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I also have the TSL Sports cat, my car dyno'd at 270 bhp and 265 ib/ft.
Like Rich above we both had various other exhaust bits and the TEK3 after that.
Old 18 September 2004, 06:54 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Talking

WRX Rich: This seems the right way to go, my WRX is 18 months old and I want to keep it a while, as I have never PPPed thank goodness, I will at the two year point start my mod plans as I am sure most warrantee claims will be met by fair wear and tear warrantee replys, by Subaru.

So this gives me a fairly blank sheet to work with as far as the car goes.

Can you recommend where I should take it, I live in the Oxford area but don’t mind travelling.

Scoobyexhausts; that is a better prise, but why are they so dam dear??? surely everybody would fit them rather than decat, if the price was more reasonable.

MaDaSS: looks like I am on the right track for modding then.

Looks like TSL is the place to go, want to get my springs sorted out when I go up there.

I will try and get a deal for the lot, if the price is right next year.

Thank you all your replies

Ajax, Paul

Last edited by Ajax; 18 September 2004 at 07:00 PM.
Old 18 September 2004, 10:55 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Hi

engine - Roger clark motoesports

geometry - powerstation

Remap - Bob Rawles

I live in worcester ( not a million miles away ) and I must have visited every scooby garage in the midlands ( I am also on scoobynet far to much for my own good ) and I would never stray from the above unless you want to travel mega miles but then Im not sure if I would change

I tried many a time to get a deal out of TSL and never got any where - they lost 2k's worth of work on my car as they were not willing to throw in a free paint job on some fog lamp covers, others say different may be its just me

I only went for the sports cat as on my work route they do a lot of emission testing - I would have just gone for a scoobysport decat otherwise
Old 19 September 2004, 10:11 AM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Milltek do a very nice sports cat.
Old 19 September 2004, 12:02 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

WRX Rich: Yep I have heard good reports on your recommendations, shame about TSL, we all like to feel we are getting a good deal, especially if we are putting all of our mods to one modifier / garage.

Just liked the idea of a one stop shop, still nothing like picking up bargains shopping around a bit.

Seems you have done much of the ground work, I love Scoobynet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob D: Ah, you meant this one, just looking for the price or sorted the place to by it from, just yet.

http://www.millteksport.com/subaru.i...hiflow.cat.cfm

Subaru Impreza Exhaust System - Hi-flow Cat

Our Prodrive STI gained 30bhp+ after installing the Sports exhaust. It also achieved nearly 30% more power at the wheels across the rev range. On top of this the STI’s now legendary exhaust note has gained a subtle hard-edged rasp under full throttle without ever being intrusive on cruise.

The Hi-Flow CAT provides excellent flow characteristics and superb emission levels. Our system meets all current MOT and Police Noise and Emissions tests with ease.

Milltek Sport Performance Exhausts > Subaru Impreza Exhaust System > Hi-flow Cat

Have you got one?

Ajax, Paul

Last edited by Ajax; 19 September 2004 at 12:04 PM.
Old 19 September 2004, 08:22 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul,
The Milltek one is also supplied to Prodrive as part of the 2001> STi PPP.
They do come up now and again in the FS section and Ebay (there's one there now by the way) for about £200-£300.

Nick
Old 19 September 2004, 08:54 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Ajax

Why not give Power Engineering in Uxbridge a ring. They do a Sports Cat for £350 (£411 with VAT) that replaces the centre section. You will need to replace the down pipe as well, but then if you went for sports cat in the down pipe you would need to replace your existing centre section containing the secondary cat anyway. Placing the sports cat in the centre section is supposed to give more rapid turbo spool up.

Another avantage of using PE is they can do the ecutek remap at the same time. Your proposed exhaust mods would cause significant boost spikes which could easily damage your engine without a ecu remap.

Of course TSL will also be able to offer an exhaust fitting and ecu remap service. TSL also do the ecutek remapping on the road which is better than on a rolling road (PE use a rolling road), but may be more expensive.

You really need to speak to TSL and PE to find out the total cost of the exhaust system changes and ecu remapping rather than focussing on the cost of just one component, i.e. the sports cat.

In addition to TSL and PE you could also try Power Station at Cheltenham who fit Milltek exhaust systems amongst others and also do remaps. As you may know PowerStation were responsible for the Type 25 and my experience with them on suspension mods and solving a fuel starvation problem has been excellent.

Hope the above ramble helps.

Alan
Old 19 September 2004, 10:21 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I gotta agree with Lemmy here, cost em up then go for it.
But i am a TSL man meself, you cant beat being in the car on the road whilst your car is being mapped on a laptop! lol.
Well funny.
Old 19 September 2004, 10:34 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Butty: The Milltek one looks well engineered from the photograph above, real solid.

Lemmy: Alan, Power Engineering are on my short list, and that £400. Price is a bit nearer the mark, on price.

So I take it from what you are saying, you only need one sports cat in the system, apart from the back box, whether it’s in the centre or the down pipe.

The tek3 three has always been it my plans, thats why I did not waste money on PPP, just needed to level out the car as far as warrantee for the first couple of years, just in case |I had a duff one.

I was going to get the Tek3 done at the same time as the sports cat, using the same garage if possible,

I could not see anything on the power engineering site saying they guarantee it passes the emission test for the MOT, so it put me off a bit.

But on the other hand TSL says it does.

http://www.powerengineering.co.uk/ac...s_exhausts.htm

POWER T75 CENTRE SECTION

It’s good to hear that you have experience of Power Station at Cheltenham, they are also in the frame.

What I am doing at the movement, is doing the ground work for my plans.

The cheapest mod will be the laser alignment and springs next year, nothing to radical and will get it done when a new set of tyres go on.

That takes me up to two year point, then a bit later on the zorst and map is sorted.

But I need to get it clear in my mind, what I am talking about, so I get the right thing and not break my car.

You would have thought this sports cat thing was more popular and cheaper, what with the emission laws and all the messing at MOT time.

I can’t believe insurance companies have not got more to say about full de-cating, after all it seems to be an illegal modification, thought it would void your insurance.

I wonder what they have to say about sports-cats, remaps and springs, that’s another thing to sort out on the way.

Thanks for helping me on my quest.

By the way Alan, it was nice to see you both again at Alton

All the best, till the next time.

Ajax, Paul
Old 19 September 2004, 11:18 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

"I wonder what they have to say about sports-cats, remaps and springs, that’s another thing to sort out on the way."

Another important point! Do remember to tell your insurance company about your mods BEFORE you get them done. I am afraid that both the suspension (springs) and exhaust/remap will probably result in a premium rise. In my case the rise was more for the suspension mods. In fact my insurance company didn't want any more premium for the exhaust and remap perhaps because the STi is already a group 20 car. However, insurance companies vary in how they view mods.

Regarding the cost of your mods, I would expect the exhaust and remap to cost around £1600. Suspension mods will be much cheaper. If going for prodrive springs buy from Subaru dealer with SIDC discount and get them fitted with laser alignment at Powerstation. They charge less for fitting than Subaru garages and offer laser alignment for around £70 which makes a huge difference to how the car handles. Powerstation will recommend suspension settings according to your driving requirements and offer a large range of other suspension handling components. They have more experience than anyone of making Scoobs handle properly. I would not go anywhere else for suspension work.

One other thing to think about is a Knocklink to warn of engine det and thus avoid an expensive engine failure. I had one fitted to my STi a year after the PE remap and found that I was getting det spikes. Although these should not damage the engine they should not be there. Therefore I will be getting my remap done by the best - Bob Rawle.

Alan
Old 20 September 2004, 11:04 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Nick

[The Milltek one is also supplied to Prodrive as part of the 2001> STi PPP.]

I can state categorically that Milltek DO NOT supply the downpipe to us for the STi PPP.

Mike
Old 20 September 2004, 12:24 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Sorry Mike,
Was info passed on to me by a respected party and so i've gone and continued it.

The Prodrive one has a separate wastegate collector pipe straight to the cat, the Milltek has a std collector.

Nick
Old 20 September 2004, 12:27 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Nick

We've changed the design recently so we no longer have a separate pipe for the wastegate and have an open neck with a machined splitter to get the flow right.

Mike
Old 20 September 2004, 01:00 PM
Wonder Wagon
Scooby Regular

Mike who makes it for you or is it done in house

PS Congratulations to the team for a great job at the weekend
Old 20 September 2004, 01:23 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Now that would be telling

It's made to our design but as we don't have a department devoted to exhaust manufacture, it's made by someone who does.

Mike
Old 20 September 2004, 02:28 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Lemmy; Alan, I am with Subaru Insured, because they do the best deals for the old folk like me, the insurance company is Zurich that insures me.

I want to keep my 17” standard wheels; will the tyres effect the laser alignment if they are old or new or even if it’s a different brand?

If not I will get it done sooner rather than later at Power Station.

Now I have got a few names and places, I will chat to my insurance company and find the wording that will suit the intended modifications.

Paul

------------------------------------------
Insurance

It’s interesting to note that all the de-cat owners are quiet, about the effects this has had voiding their insurance.

You can’t tell me that they have informed their insurance company’s, they have increased the power of their car by 30ish BHP, by doing an illegal modification.

I can only expect that this an expectable practice and a bit of a white lie carried out by many owners.

-------------------------------------------------

Mike Wood:
I expect that Prodrive are protecting their interests by not recommending companies, as they are in a competitive industry.

I realise that you have sorted out a few facts here and thank you for that.

However it would be nice to get a nod of approval, if a manufacture was seen to be supplying or producing a quality product.

-------------------------------------------------

Thank you all for your interest replying to this thread, as I am sure many people fancy this route to modification and don’t know who to turn to for impartial advice.

Some good stuff has come out of this.

Ajax, Paul

Last edited by Ajax; 20 September 2004 at 02:30 PM.
Old 20 September 2004, 04:55 PM
Mad Hammer
Scooby Regular

Just a note on the de-cat with insurance.

I work as an account manager for a national intermediary who shall remain nameless, I have yet to see a policy voided for a de-cat. Void requests from underwriters actually come through a team that report to myself so if there had have been any I'm sure I would have seen the odd one.

I expect engineers that inspect the cars don't even look for this and I am pretty sure a body shop would not report it as they would lose out on the repair
Old 21 September 2004, 02:54 AM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Mad hammer: So it’s a risk worth taking, do you know of any other mods I can make the wont invalidate the insurance

Just did not realise how the system works.

Thanks for your advice.

Ajax, Paul
Old 21 September 2004, 09:26 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Ajax

I am sure that worn tyres will not affect the wheel alignment. However, if they are unevenly worn the beneficial effect may be diluted. Infact the wheel alignment should reduce uneven tyre wear. You certainly don't need to have the wheel alignment redone when you have new tyres.

Regarding decats and insurance. The fact that a decat is illegal does not affect your insurance cover, in the same way as having a blown headlight bulb wouldn't. Of course if you fail to tell your insurance company about performance enhancing mods such as a change of exhaust system, then your insurance will be voided. As for what mods you need to tell them about then I would suggest: exhaust, ecu ramaps, other engine mods which increase power (not dump valves), suspension changes, larger wheels, uprated brakes. If in doubt ask them since it is not worth the risk.

Alan
Old 22 September 2004, 02:36 AM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Default Sorted

Lemmy: Alan, Thanks for the reply; it’s now clear what I am doing.

Speak to insurer about the mods, Power Station for the spring fitting and alignment. Early next year.

Reminds me got to buy some rubber soon for the front, as I have the dreaded edge wear.

Perhaps the springs and laser alignment will help.

That and not tearing the *** out of roundabouts all the time might also help

Sports cat and remap late 2005 a I cant be bothered with the de-car route, that gives me time to save up and let the warrantee run nearly out.

Ajax, Paul