Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Which backbox - Hayward & Scott or Magnex?!

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2004, 10:45 AM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which backbox - Hayward & Scott or Magnex?!

The car:

MY00 UK Turbo bought 3 weeks ago, standard apart from K&N induction kit and dump valve which previous owner had fitted.

The dilemma:

The standard backbox is too restrictive and sounds wimpy so I've been looking for a replacement backbox (my bank can't yet afford a centre section as well).

However, in a strange quirk of boowocka I now have 2 backboxes and don’t know which to put on the car! I bid a very paltry sum on a handmade Hayward & Scott exhaust yesterday morning on ebay, the auction ended during the day when we were at the NBO (fantastic event!). Then at the NBO Stan Palmer was selling a Magnex exhaust for £50 – a good offer I thought – so, thinking I’d never win the other one with such an offensive cheapo bid, I bought the Magnex. Then I got home and found I’d actually won the H&S exhaust!!

The Exhausts

1) Hayward & Scott with twin pipes (I don't know dimensions as the ebay listing was vague)
2) Magnex 6 x 4 inch oval pipe

Opinions Sought

Which do you think would be the best backbox to fit to my car? Is one louder than the other, and do you have any idea how loud it would be? Which is likely to give better performance? Which will be easier to add a de-cat centre section to later on? I know answers to these questions are subjective but I'd appreciate your opinions on either of these exhausts, so thanks in anticipation!
Old 14 June 2004, 11:04 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Two pipe H&S? Sounds like a one-off perhaps? The original(ie the one they used before switching suppliers) 'Scoobysport' spec H&S was a single pipe.
I'd go with the Magnex, but I'm saying that only because I've heard those and they are fine...the custom H&S is a bit of an unknown quantity.
RGds
Chuck
(Old Scoobysport-spec H&S on mine btw, lovely exhaust)
Old 14 June 2004, 04:32 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for replying Chuck. So do you think the H&S is a custom built exhaust? I've been looking on the net but have never seen one with twin pipes. How loud is your old Scoobysport-spec H&S, can you hear yourself think and hear music in the car?!! I don't mind loud(ish) but I'd like to be able to hear my CDs in the car and not have everybody stare at me whilst driving around town - the dump valve turns enough heads as it is and it even made the trolley-collector in Tesco's car park jump out of his skin!
Old 14 June 2004, 07:47 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

you could also get the magnex non-res centre de-cat section for about 60 quid delivered if you shop about
Old 14 June 2004, 09:09 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dazza1802
you could also get the magnex non-res centre de-cat section for about 60 quid delivered if you shop about
Cool, I like the sound of that!
Old 15 June 2004, 07:03 AM
scoobyexhausts
Scooby Regular

Hi the twin pipe back box is becoming quite popular ( it was not a one off ) for the customer who wants performance and also the standard look with out to much noise.

Ian
Old 15 June 2004, 09:02 AM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Old Scoobysport H&S back box on mine with full Afterburner Decat - sounds immense
Old 15 June 2004, 09:41 AM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyexhausts
Hi the twin pipe back box is becoming quite popular ( it was not a one off ) for the customer who wants performance and also the standard look with out to much noise.

Ian
Thanks for the clarification Ian! What kind of de-cat centre section could I add to the H&S - is there a large variety or would I be limited in my choice?
Old 15 June 2004, 11:21 AM
scoobyexhausts
Scooby Regular

We can do a de-cat pipe for £80 or if you want one with a silencer at £150.If you want a single outlet we have a second hand one hear for sale (a customer has asked us to sell it for him , changed to a different design )

Ian