Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Afterburner Vortex V Prodrive BB

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2004, 09:50 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afterburner Vortex V Prodrive BB

okay I have just taken the plunge and ordered an Afterburner Vortex for MY00 UKTub ppp

I currently have a Prodrive BB and find it a little on the quiet side having had a HKS full Decat non resonated on my prev 93WRX. I have recently had a Magnex Twin Dump D/Pipe fitted which has made a nice improvement to the car - however my question is will I feel any difference with the Vortex fitted rather than the prodrive ?

I have read the info. on Scoobyworlds site but just wanted some more feedback from anybody who has a Vortex fitted ?

Cheers
Old 10 February 2004, 11:21 PM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

I had my Vortex fitted today on a Classic MY00. It is fully decatted with H&S D/P and centre section.
Believe me, you will not be disappointed! These backboxes make a big difference...i'm astonished at the difference to performance.
You will find it quite loud with a deep flat four and lovely roar on acceleration.
Old 11 February 2004, 04:30 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

I personally think there is little differences between backboxes other than noise and looks. Obviously, the old twin pea-shooter from the old shape UK Trubo/Wrx vs a straight through BB is going to have some small amount of difference but any "performance" BB vs any other is IMHO going to be mostly about personal taste than anything else!

Matt
Old 11 February 2004, 04:46 PM
WendyT
Scooby Regular

Mutant_Matt - Have a look at the rolling road graphs on our website - these prove that there is a substantial performance gain (almost 10bhp at certain rpm's) between our new Afterburner Vortex and previous version (and I would imagine, many other backboxes).

This demonstrates that there is a lot more to a backbox than simply sound and looks, and in the case of our new backbox, minimising the pipework bends leading to the silencer and adding a spiralled baffle works to great effect.

Neil
www.scoobyworld.co.uk
Old 11 February 2004, 04:49 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Thanks all for your replies - I must confess that I was very impressed by the power graph figures on the SW site

Can't wait for it to arrive now
Old 11 February 2004, 05:01 PM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

sorry to hijack this thread, but what is the difference as mentioned above between 'Twin Dump D/Pipe' and a normal performance 'd/pipe', ok, so i guess there are 2 holes at the turbo end may be, leading to one? am i right or r u thinking 'silly to*$er!'

thanks for advise here
Old 11 February 2004, 08:07 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Wendy according to Prodrive the bends in the back box are there for some reason...torque low down!
So worthwhile the extra HPs if you loose driveability?
Just my opinion may be I am wrong.
JIM
Old 11 February 2004, 09:18 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Stonkin - you are quite correct in your assumption mate that the twin dump is exactly what it says. Basically the Magnex one that I bought has two exits - one for the Turbo and one for the wastegate gasses. The 2 pipes then join farther along the pipe...does this make sense ? Whereas the open neck is one much larger exit which encompasses both the turbo and wastegate. I was very tempted by the open neck but decided to go for the twin dump having read problems others have had with having to remap etc.

Hope this helps ?
Old 12 February 2004, 03:43 AM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

Having the Afterburner Vortex on my full decat has without any doubt given me better performance. Indeed the rolling road figures do speak for themselves. I would never have thourght a backbox could add so much until i had the Vortex fitted.
The drivability of my Classic has IMO not been compromised.
Old 12 February 2004, 09:03 AM
WendyT
Scooby Regular

Jim Theo

If you look at the rolling road graphs, you'll see that there is no noticeable loss of torque at low revs (which is backed up by Pappasmurfs reply), therefore the only reason for the additonal bends in the pipework seems to be to ensure the exhaust exits at 90 degrees from the back of the car.

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/trolley...r_fullspec.htm

Wendy

Last edited by WendyT; 12 February 2004 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12 February 2004, 10:55 AM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Thanks PS and Wendy for your replies - for me the graphs speak for themselves but it is nice to get some feedback from people who have a Vortex fitted. Just have to wait for it to arrive now - like waiting for Xmas. Once it has arrived and has been fitted I will post up my thoughts on it too - I have a MY00UKTub with PPP.
Old 12 February 2004, 02:56 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Well firstly a big thanks to Wendy and the team at Scoobyworld - the Vortex BB was delivered today I have just been out and talked a local exhaust fitters into fitting it for me and what can I say but Awesome !! I knew as soon as it was fitted - the guy at the station started her up (to check the fit) and he just smiled and said Wow sounds a bit different doesn't it. She now sounds like a Scoob should IMHO. The driveability has not altered at all and if anything low to mid range feels better and from 4K upwards it just keeps pulling !! The soundtrack is exactly what I was after - a very deep throaty burble that emanates into a roar when on boost !! 10/10 for this backbox. Be warned though I am running a lagged Magnex Decat D/P and a standard prodrive decat resonated centre. Even with this it is quite loud but I love it.

Here are some pics witt it fitted to MY00 Classic

Last edited by NelsonUK; 12 February 2004 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12 February 2004, 05:57 PM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

NelsonUK,
I know exactly how you feel!
By the way, Afterburners pull more BHP on Mica Red Scoobs

smurfy.
Old 12 February 2004, 06:04 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

LOL - yea right PS - but I bet you get even more BHP with an Afterburner if you have a Mica Red Scoob and Gold wheels