Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Views on "The Link" Engine Management

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2004, 06:45 PM
Ian P.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Views on "The Link" Engine Management

Is anyone running a possum link / Link plus ecu on here?

Would be interested in your opinions of it.

Been trying to find out as much info as poss , Aus. guys seem to have differing opinions of it i.e. nearly impossible to map it to get a smooth idle. Its got poor cruising abilities and allways running over rich???

Anyone tried mapping it themselves, i.e. with pc link or hand held tuning module? What sort of results?

In the States they are trying to set up a "map sharing" site, where you can download maps and compare. Would be a good idea if you wanted to tweak your own map a little if you added mods of the equivelent.
Prob not a good thing for the retail tuners though.....

Thanks for looking guys, let me know your views

Last edited by Ian P.; 06 February 2004 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06 February 2004, 08:15 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Any ecu is only as good as the mapper.

As for my Link mapped by Bob [BRD] it has none of the problems you mention. Infact my car runs and idles better now than it did with the standard ecu.
Old 06 February 2004, 09:20 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ten row link on MY00 STi ver 6 Wagon producing very good power but retaining all the features of the O/E ECU. ie. cold start, air con cut in and so on. Very competant and cost effective package and as already stated above is only as good as the mappers ability. Read Bob Rawle.
Old 06 February 2004, 09:53 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Yup mine was mapped by Bob back in 2001 (97ron)on the old chip and last year on a new one(98ron).

Never had any cold start or idling problems, ever.

Car starts, car runs, cars shuts off. No kangaroo jumps, nothing.
Old 07 February 2004, 05:45 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

I too run a Link on my MY98 UK Wagon, I mapped it myself and whilst the idle setup is fiddly, it's not that hard.

My car starts and idles fine hot or cold.

Andrew...
Old 08 February 2004, 10:41 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

same here. possum link ecu. cold start and warm start are fine, as is my idle. suppose it just depends on the mapper

cheers

big sinky
Old 09 February 2004, 11:05 AM
Crusty
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've had a Link on my car for over 5 years. Very important to get it tuned from cold thru hot running. Will run rich if only tuned when warm. Otherwise no starting problems at all. BTW the Link is made here in NZ ;p
Old 09 February 2004, 11:57 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Dont fancy posting me one Crusty?!

MB
Old 10 February 2004, 12:44 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

The only problem that I have had with the Link is with boost control - and this is with me mapping the thing (so not exactly a professional ). I can't get the thing to control boost well - it is possible, as Bob appears to be able to do it very nicely thankyou - but I couldn't get it to work well with a couple of fast-boosting turbos, so got lazy & stuck in an AVC-R instead...

A smooth idle is much easier to get with a wideband IMO, although those who know what they are doing can manage very well on a standard lambda in good nick. I have a smooth idle on 3.8 bar 550s running at 14.7-15.2:1 @ 800rpm, which isn't bad if you ask me

Cruise can be set up very easily, just run open loop instead of closed. It's very reliable - I'd say more so than an ECU trying to find stoich with the average iffy lambda probe. I set my car up at the end of the summer to run at 15.7:1 at a cruise, and it's still there. Economy is now better than the standard car's...

Map sharing is lunacy! Great if you sell or recondition engines, but for those of us out here in the real world, it's a looming disaster if abused. Very interesting to be able to look at someone's 'before & after' map if they have changed a specific component know precisely what they are doing, but a bit if people who don't understand it all start lobbing maps into their ECU 'cos they share 90% of the same kit, there's going to be a fair few engines on the skip.