Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

DIY Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2001, 01:40 PM
rjh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm about to do a mid-service oil change (circa 3k miles). I'm going to use a genuine filter and Motul 15/50 oil. Might be a dumb question but where on the engine is the filter? I've looked underneath and can find the sump plug but not the filter. Do I have to remove the tray? If i do how do how is it held on?

Thanks

Richard
Old 04 September 2001, 02:00 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

It's an easy job mate, and you'll need to remove the undertray.

It's held to place with screws on the sides, and a couple of clips in the rear.

The filter itself is easy to get access to, remember to fill the new filter up with oil, and put a little bit of oil on the gasket, before you refit it.

Then just a smidge above 4 litres of oil should do it.

I've *heard* that the car needs to be level so all old oil can be drained, can someone confirm this?

/J
Old 04 September 2001, 04:13 PM
IggDawg
Scooby Regular

if you have the 2002, and I assume earlier models are similar, you can grab the filter from the top. Its a little messy, but the underskirt won't mind a little oil. If You're facing the engine from the front, its directly underneath the front of the right side of the engine , about 6 inches in from the side. Use a towel for grip (one of the many uses of the venerable towel) or a filter wrench. It a lot easier than taking off the underskirt. If you're real picky about being clean, a quick wipe will clean off the skirt.
Old 04 September 2001, 05:20 PM
rjh
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Thought it had to involve taking the undertray but didn't want to start ripping bits off without knowing what I'm doing

Mines a MY00 - how level do these cars have to be to drain the oil? My drive slopes a bit, should I park it nose up or nose down? (or do it in the neighbours drive!)

Richard
Old 04 September 2001, 05:33 PM
IggDawg
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'm pretty sure the neighbor's lawn is actually the best place. reason being that the grass does a wonderful job of absorbing waste oil, thus eliminating the need to buy an oil pan. If you feel you must do it in your driveway, nose down is usually the best way in my experience. No matter what you do, there'll always be a few drops left, so quibbling over those last bits is no big deal. Generally though, I'd go with nose down.

-IggDawg
Old 04 September 2001, 08:32 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

Just changed my oil for the first time between services, watch out when you remove the sump plug as the oil really shoots out. I have one of those oil can catch tray thingys placed under the plug but I didn't anticipate the flow rate. Very messy!

I'd say if you can't get the car level then have it slightly up hill as the plug is towards the back of the engine and this will aid the draining. The clips at the back weren't easy to remove on mine, they got stuck for some reason. I think I needed more support at the front of the undertray, once the bolts were removed.

F

Old 04 September 2001, 11:08 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

The trick is always getting your hand out of the way before the oil shoots down your arm.

Does the undertray not have a hole in it to get access to the sump plug (I haven't looked underneath, so sorry if this is a stupid question)

Trending Topics

Old 05 September 2001, 03:31 PM
IggDawg
Scooby Regular

Carl, depending on the age of your baby, the drain plug shouldn't be a problem. older models like the seemingly immortal late 80's early 90's legacys have metal bash guards under the engine which take little effort but must be removed. the newer ones just have plastic undercovers that don't reach as far back as the drainplug. just take a quick look underneath and all should be apparent.

-IggDawg