Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Dawes Device - is it a safe mod

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2004, 12:57 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dawes Device - is it a safe mod

Im about to purchase a Dawes Device to fit onto my MY98 Type R,is this a safe and worthwhile mod? the last thing i want is for it to go bang on me altho i rarely thrash it.I dont yet have a Knocklink but the car is always run on optimax.Any help would be appreciated
Old 03 February 2004, 10:05 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
Im about to purchase a Dawes Device to fit onto my MY98 Type R,is this a safe and worthwhile mod? the last thing i want is for it to go bang on me altho i rarely thrash it.I dont yet have a Knocklink but the car is always run on optimax.Any help would be appreciated
I had one of these on a MY96 WRX. i invested in a variable rate fuel pressure regulator, knocklink, air/fuel ratio meter, and good boost gauge. i ran no fuel cut defender but managed 1.1 bar held in gears 1-4. 5th proved a problem in that boost cut was hit in cold weather.

Get bang for your buck, a bit crude but effective. don't use this without a knocklink.

cheers

big sinky
Old 03 February 2004, 10:29 AM
iain atkins
Scooby Regular

I would personally first fit a KnockLink as a type R will be mapped for 100 octane, and the absolute best youre gonna get with Optimax is the high 98's, you may already find things are getting a bit sparkly at higher revs. A shot of octane booster would also be advisable.

Once all is monitored etc, then it is possible to fit a dawes but you need to be extremely cautious and keep your eye on the knocklink.

As well as the knocklink i normally recommend an uprated fuel pump and reg as well, but this is all IMHO.

Be safe

Iain

Last edited by iain atkins; 03 February 2004 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03 February 2004, 11:50 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I fitted a Dawes to lower the boost to just below fuel cut. I have found it to be a very stable device and it seems to always control the boost to its precise required setting. The only danger from it is from the owner setting the boost too high and causing detonation. It helps the spin up of the turbo too.

Les
Old 04 February 2004, 06:34 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

As Bigsinky has said, you get good bang for not much buck.

They are alright if set up correctly but also very crude,the problem i found with the car i drove that had one fitted (MY01) was it was all all nothing with the boost and very jerky on part throttle.

Zippy