Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Engine rebuild costs?

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2004, 02:14 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just after some rough costings really, labour only. Or possibly the number of hours it takes to do a rebuild. Because im just being curious i don't want to start wasting engine builders time by asking for quotes etc.

Also what parts would you consider needing replacing... i'd consider uprated pistons (and rings), rods but what about bearings, head studs, midified oil pump, cylinder liners? etc. Costs of these etc. I've done a search but costs seem to be few and far between.

Any advice/experience etc would be most appreciated.

Tony.

Old 19 January 2004, 02:23 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on what performance you are looking for. If there is a factory assembled short block for good money that will do what you want to do it could be a good choice I've not so far been disappointed in the quality of a factory motor in terms of manners (noise, oil usage, smoothness) or reliability, but 3500 miles is early days on my 2.5 granted (but that is already about 20-30 times the mileage my three custom engine builds did and it hasn't put a foot wrong). 400 BHP on the 2.5 is unstressed though IMHO and delicious to drive.

A fancy engine build can easily turn into a living nightmare with your car off the road for months with one problem after another, delay after delay. And then if you break it it costs a lot to replace.

Whilst an expert engine builder may be able to do a better job than a production line motor, it would help me sleep at night to know that there were Japanese OEM standards of QC on it. The choice of components and hoping that there are no mistakes in assembly make the whole experience rather less haphazard.

If you get a quality engine build from a quality supplier like Roger Clark Motorsport that may be a different matter, but it will cost you.

Cheapest quote is likely to result in the worst quality job, and there is so much to go wrong on a project like this it isn't funny even thinking about it.

[Edited by john banks - 1/19/2004 2:27:53 PM]

[Edited by john banks - 1/19/2004 2:30:33 PM]
Old 19 January 2004, 02:56 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No... it hasn't let go has it Tony??

Simon
Old 19 January 2004, 02:57 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

PS: API David who posts on here quoted £1500 I noticed in another thread.. www.midland-impreza.co.uk have a couple of options.

Simon
Old 19 January 2004, 03:01 PM
Denmark
Scooby Regular

I purchased a 2,13ltr shortengine from Mark,and yes it running with out problems,at 1,8bar on a garret turbo

there is another problem now.......crunch...crunch

Skassa
Old 19 January 2004, 03:09 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Cheers John,

I wasn't thinking of anything fancy.... just a good strong 2.0 (i have a CDB in the car already so have a good starting point) to take a maximum of 375-400bhp. So essentially some rods and pistons. Such as the eagle rods and JE pistons from the states that Andy F higlighted a while back (£600).

Simon... it's still in one piece. Just thinking that the cars getting old now and with the FMIC etc coming soon it may die a death. Saying that it may not and i know a few WRX/UK internals that are taking 375plus bhp. I just want to get a rough idea of the costs involved if it does go.

Tony.
Old 19 January 2004, 03:11 PM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Also interested in the various prices. Could be looking for an uprated build.
Old 19 January 2004, 03:18 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

I am not sure whether to strip mine and rebuild either with a new short block, or buy a secondhand short block and replace when it goes etc..

Currently got 142,500miles on it and Pat is mapping it on Friday..
lol..

1.2bar max tohugh and it has run less than 1bar for most of it's life.

Simon
Old 19 January 2004, 03:37 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

LOL

whatever you do, get a detailed spec for your build in writing, breakdown of costings, and delivery time to hold supplier against.

Also check with the builder then understand the requirements of the engine in terms of clearances and finishes and the like which are subtly different on the subaru flat 4 compared to say a cossie. Although I would imagine you would use a company with a Subaru reputation.

I think you would be horrified at the true cost, and to be honest 2.5 short engine would be my choice for almost anyone.

Paul

Old 19 January 2004, 04:05 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

totally agree with paul,

now that the 2.5 sti block is available and is semi closed, I would rather run a few and almost treat them as disposable to trst the limits of what I am trying to achieve with another engine.

It has cost me the best part of 8 2.5 short blocks so far to build something that might get me an extra 50bhp!
Old 19 January 2004, 04:10 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Paul... my initial slection of engine builder would be Prosport as they are only down the road from me and have a wealth of experience.

Horrify me..... think it would horrify Nicola more than me . So what's the ball park... £3k, 5k etc. Do i need to remortgage???

Tony.
Old 19 January 2004, 04:18 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

8 blocks Adam... bloody hell

I think my situtation is a little different tho. I'm not after 550bhp or anything extreme. Just a strong engine that will last with 375bhp put through it. It could be that my current engine lasts at this sort of power level and a rebuild will never be needed.... touch wood.

Tony.

Old 19 January 2004, 04:20 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

4k would probably get you a rebuilt short engine using most of your existing engine.

Whereas for about £1500 you can pick up a 2.5 shortblock and all the things you need to fit it (gaskets and consumables etc) and it will be good for 450hp. Add maybe £700 to do the short engine swap, sell your CDB short engine for say £500 or so, and it's cost you less than £2k.

With the spare you can spend it on a new gearbox.

Paul
Old 19 January 2004, 04:22 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

just to mention the prices I was estimating included some parts.

Paul
Old 19 January 2004, 04:50 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

That does sound tempting....

Tony.