Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

power run or not?

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2001, 12:50 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do a before and after at least. Even though you won't get the full power of the FMIC on the dyno due to lack of air, you will still get comparisons. Personally I'd get readings after each mod, and lastly the Motec, but that's me as I like to know how each part contributed seperately.
And the most important point is what Rich said, a consistent dyno will be needed.

WREXY.
Old 27 June 2001, 10:27 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Guys, I need some advice here!

Am about to fit a shed load of mods over the course of a few months.

These include several major performance mods, such as headers, turbo, fmic, motec??, water inj, breather mods.

The car is running as standard now except full BPM exhaust and K&N induction kit.

I am interested to know how many of you think I should bother getting it dynoed, rigth at the beginning for refernce.

I can't decide if I should waste the time and money or not.

Also if I do ever compare it will be on the same dynos, I just wondered which one, bearing in mind I live in north london.

I hear there is one in Luton which is very convenient, but power engineering is also an option.
Old 27 June 2001, 10:31 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Hard call aint it.

With all the variable factors temp, humidity, atmospheric pressure,.........

then the variable car factors............

then is the rolling road consistent for different power readings as well as different dates,.......

but, at the end of the day its only like £50 and a couple of hours, and you will have a benchmark figure for pre mods.

Are you planning on all mods in one go though, or in sequence with rolling roads in between?

robski
Old 27 June 2001, 10:35 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Another problem is will you get enough air into the car with a FMIC to make the comparison fair? (Although I guess this will be the same with the TMIC to a certain extent)

I'd do it BEFORE modding anything. At least then you've got a benchmark. Try to note all variables, such as temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure, software revision of Rolling road, brand of fuel used, ... anything that may change.

Then come back later post-mods and try to break their rollers

Go for it. You must be curious as to what you're running at now
Old 27 June 2001, 10:40 AM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

You could always get one of the accelerometers or road dynos, they are about £150.00 and supposed to be quite accurate. That way you could do a comparison after every mod to get a better picture of value for money for the various mods.

Andy
Old 27 June 2001, 10:42 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Will prob go for it.

Robski, there are too many mods to consider effects one by one. Simply can't justify it.

Since the fmic is for development, may do a run before and after on that, but no more.

Not really interested in the combined effect, and also, until motec is on, dont believe I can take advantage of everything.

I cannot take advantage of any hybrid turbo that I buy also until the motec is fitted, and will be cancelling any interim trackdays, as I presume it will be flowing more air. No way I would risk running lean on track. Not sure if it would be too good an idea on a rolling road either.

that just leaves which rolling road to choose.
Old 27 June 2001, 11:40 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Adam

Without getting into the old argument of under/over reading - I would use PE's RR as it seems fairly consistent in my experience (compared to a few others I've tried).

And consistency is what you are looking for to see the gains from fitting various mods.

Of course you still have the general issues that robski and chiark mention

Rich.

**Edited for spelling**

[This message has been edited by Rich_R (edited 27 June 2001).]
Old 27 June 2001, 03:55 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Adam.
I don't know if PE do it, but at PTS they can input different temp and pressure measurements to get an direct comparison even if the runs take place on different days.
Also, PE charge £45 for a power run and PTS £25.
Why not go on both?

Stef.