Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

advice on exhausts required..

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2001, 12:03 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be happy to let you here what a Scoobysport exhaust sounds like.

Pete
Scoobysport
Also in Basildon
Old 29 May 2001, 09:54 AM
smanning
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

calling all scooby oldies...

I have an '00' turbo which is pretty standard apart from a greentune fueline. I want to upgrade the exhaust to give the car a nice note and up the performance a bit, but also regularly do long drives with the other half from essex to devon and this it has to be bearable.... (else earache from the woman)

I have heard that a lot of people say scorpion exhausts are one the the best for scoobies... is this true? Can anyone offer me some advice on the choices I have / cost and where to go. I'm in basildon if anyone is local and would show me what they have done....

thanks all..

from a grateful scoobie newbie...!!!!

I have h
Old 29 May 2001, 02:43 PM
smanning
Scooby Regular

Wink

sorry, a little slow there..... i tried phoning the other day, couldnt get through and gave up...... i shall phone
Old 29 May 2001, 06:38 PM
LES H'
Scooby Regular

IF YOUR NOT AFTER TOO MUCH NOISE FIT A MAGNEX BB 6X4 OVAL DE-CAT CENTER SECTION WITH RESONATOR BOX SOUNDS GREAT
BB=£208 CENTER PIPE=£115 STRAIGHT THROUGH CENTER PIPE=£56 TRY ROADRUNNER NOTTS,DEMON TWEEKS,OR GRAHAM GOODE RACING.
lES h'
Old 29 May 2001, 06:47 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Or try a Blitz mid and backbox with a J-Speed cat less front pipe, so your won't even hear her whining that her ears are hurting.

Ramon
Old 29 May 2001, 07:31 PM
darren johnson
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

HI MATE IVE GOT SCOOBY SPORT FRONT PIPE & CENTRE SECTION WITH A PRODRIVE BACK BOX I DOUBLE RAPPED THE FRONT PIPE WITH HEAT RESISTING RAPPING WHICH HELPS WITH PERFORMANCE AS WELL.THE SOUND FROM OUT SIDE IS AWORSOME BUT INSIDE IS CHANGED FOR THE BETTER A BIT MORE NOISEY BUT IN RIGHT WAY SEE YA DAZ.................
Old 31 May 2001, 07:44 PM
smanning
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all that chaps, seems everyone has a system which is pretty good.

Apart from earache froma noisy exhaust i have to balance that off from earache from a whining woman though if I get one...we do a fair bit of long distance... i have to get a louder stereo to drown her out already.....!!!!!!!! :d
Old 31 May 2001, 09:25 PM
Mark Piesse
Scooby Regular

Talking

If you're interested in hearing the Magnex (6 x 4), you can contact me off board to arrange something. I don't live that far from you.

Mark P
Old 01 June 2001, 07:42 AM
chuckdog
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm local and could show you another alternative. Perhaps a meet at scoobysport is in order LOL - as if saddo scooby guys don't hang around there enough already
The Sunday meet n greet on southern events section would also let you hear alot of different set-ups.
Chuck
Old 01 June 2001, 11:12 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Go for the Scoobysport - for the convenience sake!

I have a BPM so I aint baised - you would not want this - BPM is much, much, much louder than Scoobysport

You would not want Blitz - they are too loud.

As for Magnex and Scorpion, well.... lets just stick with proper exhausts... thanks

I can feel a Kev boy racer Magnex driver about to argue the point that the exhausts are fantastic, that is until they realise that they have'nt gained anywhere near as much as a Scoobysport exhaust on the Rolling road!

Old 02 June 2001, 10:18 AM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

I have the Scoobymania full system and it is a little loud, but the sound is awesome. I don't know if the backbox alone would be as loud as the scoobysport 'box?

I just wanted to be a liitle different.
Old 02 June 2001, 11:41 AM
Mark Coleman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I do about 50K a year, mostly motorway and had a Scoobysport back box fitted from the start.

Can't say I really notice the cabin noise, but wind down the windows and the sound is awesome. Probably the best sounding system in the world.

Old 06 June 2001, 10:30 PM
smanning
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

Thanks for all your advice... very interesting. I think on reflection I'm gonna go for the boring old scoobysport system... tried and tested, but I wouldnt mind meeting up with some of you locals if you're up for it :d

Drop me an email if you fancy it... mainmanning@hotmail.com and we will arrange it.. I only work about a mile from scoobysport or we coul meet up on the littlechef on the a13....??!?!

later....

steve
Old 06 June 2001, 10:53 PM
NeilS
Scooby Regular

Red face

'Boring old Scoobysport System'

What a thing to say about the finest exhaust on the market
Old 07 June 2001, 06:36 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Wink

You could always buy the ONLY Subaru UK approved exhaust from your friendly local Subaru dealer.

This is quiet on the cruise so will not offend the other half.

Mike
Old 07 June 2001, 11:03 PM
smanning
Scooby Regular

Sorry...., not meaning to offend, scoobysport exhausts are one of the best, and I know that prodrive ones are approved also, it was just dodgy wording.....!! :d

I have aquired a second hand scoobysport system, fitted it tonight... a most excellent mod me thinks.., but when it came down to it i had to consider the earache from the woman for spending all that money on the car instead of the house.... so reached a compromise.

Thanks again all for the imput. Now... anyone know where i can get hold of a cheap quickshift.......??

Old 07 June 2001, 11:52 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Just to add my two penneth,
I ran a SS back box and Magnex centre (with resonator) on my MY99 then MY00 for 16 months, noise level bearable, but a touch tiresome on long journeys.
I then added a SS downpipe and managed 5 1/2 weeks before I gave up, and sold the lot.
It wasn't noisy but the frequency was headache inducing very quickly, and I have never suffered from headaches.

I now run STD downpipe, P1 (STi5) decat centre with a PPP back box, and the sound is very muted inside, but definate Subaru burble, but not in your face from outside.
Clog it and it sounds very nice.

Observation for Mike Wood.
I have owned 3 Imprezas over the last 3 years 8 months, and from day one was after a round tailpipe design Prodrive back box, but didn't want nor could afford the £2000 for a PPP set up, without the added insurance bill.

But your company insists on marketing an oval (read Impreza Sport style) tailpipe design, that is quite clearly NOT what the paying public want.
Had a round pipe version been available, I would probably have bought one for each of my cars. Ok I'm lying I would have transfered it from one to the other, but it would still have been one more sale.

Cheers MTR
Old 15 June 2001, 08:54 AM
smanning
Scooby Regular

I think that concludes the conversation then....
Old 18 June 2001, 07:45 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Smile

MTR

Thanks for your comments

Our policy of not supplying the Performance Package silencer separately has come in for some criticism over the years. Some companies have even been started as a result of this decision

This policy decision was made in an attempt to help the resale value of cars with the performance package fitted. As the silencer was only supplied on cars with the performance package, if your car had that fitted, it must have a performance package. As it's the only externally visible part this means that it's easily identifiable to the next owner as such and you would expect to see a reasonable return for the investment made when you sold the car.
If we supplied it separately it would not be possible to be certain that the performance package was fitted without further checking. You would find that dealers would therefore be wary and your second hand value of the performance package would be eroded to the level of just the silencer.

To some extent, this has worked. How many models of car can you think of that actually command a premium for those fitted with similar engine modifications? Does the example of Cosworth Fords ring a bell?

You could be cynical and say that every silencer sold would have been a potential lost sale of a much more expensive Performance Package and that's why we don't sell it separately. This however is not our reasoning.

SOME of the paying public want a round tailpipe I will agree. I wonder why? Could it have been because we created that demand?

We chose the oval tailpipe design for the WRSport silencer as it was different and attractive. It also suits the bumper opening on both the Turbo and WRX.
Maybe oval will become the next round

It sounds like you now have the silencer you were after all along.

Enjoy

Mike
Old 18 June 2001, 09:41 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mike Wood,
Thanks for the reply.

I personally feel that had Prodrive marketed and sold a round tailpipe style design backbox, perhaps somehow different than a PPP backbox, thus confirming the fittment of the more expensive kit, then they would have sold MANY silencers, and made even more profit than currently.

As you have observed there are companies whose main initial thrust has been the marketing and selling of primarily ONE item, a back box with a round (read rally car style, not Prodrive style) tailpipe.

Far from this detracting from the sales of the PPP kit, it would have enhanced just by volume the prescence of the Prodrive label in the marketplace, far more widely than currently done with the sales of interior/exterior/engine/suspension upgrades, which to be honest are not that prevalent when you see large groups of Imprezas.

This is not because the goods are ineadequate, but simply that people perhaps cannot justify to themslves or families, the considerable extra cost needed to upgrade an already good car.

The type of customer who probably wouldn't hesitate to equipe his brand new £21000 + car with some or all of your enhancement packages is not put off by the cost.
I mean have you seen how much these people pay for car polish

They can readily afford it, and DO buy them.

But there exists a much larger customer base, like myself, who would gladly buy a quality product endorsed with the Prodrive logo, which didn't cost £0000's and didn't put the insurance into the silly league.

Your company market a P1 upgrade backbox, which doesn't actually say Prodrive on it, but I'll wager that people want them, because the afficinados know that it is Prodrive gear.

Your company could market 2 styles of Round tailpipe design backbox, one with Prodrive PPP, on it for example, and one with Prodrive for the non upgraded car.

Surely your manufacturers can engrave whatever defining mark you saw fit to diferentiate your companies varying kits, and therfore allow yourselves to capture a a sizeable slice of profitable market.

Just about every Impreza I have seen attending all the runs I have been on, or arranged have a non standard tailpipe.
And those that don't, would like one.

With the advent of the new MY01, are you going to sit back and let other manufactures take your potential sales/profit.

I am not a business man, but would have thought that any profitable sale, is a good sale.

I fully understand the potential dilema your company faces, but am at a complete loss as to why your marketing people just sit back and watch thousands of pounds per year going to competing companies, who do not have anything like the kudos that Prodrive know they have.

Oh and yes, I am enjoying the sound of my Prodrive backbox, to some tune, pardon the pun.

Cheers MTR (in talking mood)

[This message has been edited by MTR (edited 18 June 2001).]
Old 18 June 2001, 11:22 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I LIKE THE LOOK OF THE STANDARD SYSTEM :P - SO THERE :EEK:

To make the vehicle look a little better I would prefer slightly larger maybe shaped / angled twin tailpipes.

Ultimately - the system that one of the guys had on his car (in sweden? blue car in snow) which had 2 tailpipes either side! - Absolutely fantastic looking - Well done that man.

Mick
Old 19 June 2001, 07:11 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Question

Anybody know the power/torque gains you could expect on a 98 WRX with a Scoobysport backbox and decat centre (and an induction kit) compared to a standard exhaust, filter setup? I've heard mixed reports ranging from very little to over 10 bhp.

Steve, is there really a clear advantage over a Magnex exhaust (sound apart)? If so, got any figures?
I hope to get either of the above fairly soon, so would be really intested to see some evidence that the Scoobysport exhaust is worth the extra from a performance point of view.

Thanks for any replies.
Old 19 June 2001, 10:22 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Scoobysnacks,

I would be very supprised to see 10 bhp from a BB, centre and a filter. All you will get is better flow from the restrictive DP and a bit more air into the engine. You will just get to the red line slightly better cause the car will breathe better. You may get a couple of BHP and torque. You will get more noise however.

The biggest differance is in the DP. All I can say is the grin factor is immense.

I have listened to a Magnex BB, IMO it is quieter than an SS BB, but sounds pretty similar at tick over.

The SS turns in to definate 'brap' at high rpm. The DP makes *alot* more noise, and if you go for an SS centre, then whoa, people will here you comming from some distance. Even if you aren't booting it.

P. (Will be corrected if I'm spouting ****).

[This message has been edited by Sith (edited 19 June 2001).]
Old 20 June 2001, 07:02 AM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Wink

Jesus' this post is a bit deep
Old 20 June 2001, 02:00 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Its all a load of bollox. There are thousands of posts exactly the same as this in drivetrain and they all churn out the sam argument.

And as for slating magnex, have half of you tried one? Do you know anything about weld quality or materials? At the end of the day Magnex make and design exhausts and that's their business, do you really think they are going to be bad?

In my opinion they are top quality. To a large extent a pipe's a pipe, were not talking fu***ng gas turbine theory here. As long as the bore is the same, what other restriction is there? Downpipes are slightly different but centres and bacboxes don't give big power gains, therefore differencs between them are small.

And power gains on a rolling road are speculative, im sure there is sod all in it.

MB
Old 20 June 2001, 02:54 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

The definitive test was
Old 20 June 2001, 02:58 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Pete Croney:
<B>A pipe, in this case, is not just a pipe [/quote]

Ah, ceci n'est pas une pipe.

Old 20 June 2001, 05:56 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Question

So... you can get as much as 20 bhp and 10 lb/ft extra just from change of back box and air filter as shown in the above linked dyno page:

Standard: 284 bhp, 253 lb/ft
Scoobysport back box, RamAir filter:301 bhp @ 7346 rpm 259 lb/ft
Blitz back box, RamAir filter: 304 bhp, 263 lb/ft

Interesting to note that the Blitz back box gives the best increases as I usually hear that the Scoobysport back box is the best you can get. Of course the Power Engineering one is also supposed to be the best...
Is there a down side to the Blitz, like it being stupidly loud or expensive or lacking in the lower rev range, etc?

Still not sure which exhaust to get as everyone has there own opinions. Magnex seems sensible though as I can get a back box and decat centre and have money to spare compared to buying just a back box from other companies. I haven't seen any proof that others are really much better than a Magnex either. It appears the main difference is that they all sound a bit different but I know the Magnex sounds good as well, so why pay so much extra for others?

I'd love to see a definitive test of a range of back boxes on the same car on the same day on the same rollers to clear all this up once and for all. Sound files of each would be great as well.
Old 21 June 2001, 09:04 AM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Cool

Anybody care to comment?
Old 21 June 2001, 05:47 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Question

Anybody?