Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

What the hell is this?

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2001, 11:43 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Had me MY00 since March 1st, ran it in, had it's 1000 mile service, ran it in for another 150ish miles.
Took her out for a decent country lane blast and all was well and I was in love.
Came round a corner to see the road straightened and was clear for about half a mile.
Made sure the car was straight and floored it in 2nd.
Fcuked off at a great rate of knots upto approx 6000 (First time ever in this car remember :eek changed to 3rd, let out the clutch, re applied the power ......and......THUD woossshhhh!?
up to 6000 and the same again.

It doesn't seem to have done any damage because the car runs fine normally and if i perform the same excercise but change at 5500 there are no problems or if i take it to 6000 and prolong the gearchange slightly it's fine.

To describe the noise, it's like i'd imagine a backfire to sound from inside the car and the whoooossshhh sound is the normal turbo malarchy that gets unleashed everytime we get happy with the gas

I don't think it's doing any damage, i'd just like to understand my car a little better.

Any comments welcome,

Cheers

MIKEY
Old 16 May 2001, 11:55 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mickey
it could be a case of overboost, I found it most annoying on my car when I first got it, but after 15k of (shall we say) enthusiastic driving i have learnt to drive more PROgressively, and not so AGGresively, try it again but just don't be such a hurry to re-apply the boot-full of welly. You'll find it's no slower in the long run, and it saves your neck!
Enjoy
Ron
Old 16 May 2001, 11:57 PM
M11
Scooby Regular

That same thing happened to me when pulling away from a toll booth last year.
Mined you it was quite a take off. I think you will find it was just a back fire and nothing to worry about.

Cheers m8

P.S I hope this puts your mind at rest.
Old 17 May 2001, 10:32 AM
Akira
Scooby Regular

Cool

Could it not just be a CLUNK from the diff. as you grab the next gear and then release all that torque? I know my STI protests a bit if I am giving it socks.

Just a thought.

Chris.
Old 17 May 2001, 10:53 AM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

Hi Mikey

Could be an overboost.. or misfire... tell u what mate, drop it round and we will check it out FOC if that helps,

Cheers Paul, TSL
Old 17 May 2001, 12:05 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers dudes. (Don't ya love this bbs?)

Didn't wanna ask the dealer as it would have been a sharp intake of breath between clenched teeth and a long drawn out war story about how only last week a chap brought his in and.....blah, blah, blah.

This overboost thing then, I take it that this has something to do with the turbo, exhaust gasses,etc?

(Thick) Mikey
Old 17 May 2001, 07:25 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Paul - TSL
sorry to nip in here but i hope u can help, i've had this same experience since fitting a de-cat magnex to my 97my, all of a sudden when i'm being heavy footed the power seems to disapear and i nearly go through the windscreen, i've been told this is overboost, if so what can be done to sort it and how much will it cost? also will it have to be done on a rolling road?
Cheers
Robby
Old 18 May 2001, 03:46 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Trouser,

Cheers chap, I'd really appreciate your opinion. I'll give you a bell within the next few days to see when you are free.

In anticipation, cheers again.

MIKEY

p.s. say hi to Hanslow for me, he's at your place on the 18th having a centre section fitted

p.p.s It's really cool to have an acknowledged scoob "fettler" ( ) on ya door step