Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

STi8 Type UK Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2004, 10:34 AM
Ady 1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone please put me out of my misery? I have read lots of threads saying that the STi8 engine is not like a pucker STi motor, well I would like to take an extract from Jap Performance Jan/Feb 02 (bear in mind this is the UK Type and NOT the JDM one). Here goes.....So for starters you get a PUKKA STi engine with that red crackle-finish intake manifold. It's 80% different compared to the WRX engine,featuring a semi-closed deck block,reshaped piston heads,forged pistons, screw in type con rods,shimless valve lifters & sodium filled exhaust valves. The 15PS shortfall over the Jap STi is down to the extra catalists and the ECU remap for our fuel.So please tell me who is right, the researchers of the magazine or the experts on here, and if the latter then just what motor do I have in my car cos it is beginning to baffle me?????

Ady

[Edited by Ady 1 - 1/10/2004 10:36:14 AM]
Old 10 January 2004, 11:23 AM
Ady 1
Scooby Regular

Sorry people, no need to reply now as I have got an E mail from Pete Croney of Scoobysport and he assures me that the engine internals are the same as the JDM so I rather think I will be taking his expert word than some of the threads I have read on here.

Cheers Ady
Old 10 January 2004, 12:19 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Here's a question, whats a semi-closed deck ?

does it have ribs at the top of the liner instead of a solid lump of metal ?

Old 10 January 2004, 12:32 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

What have you heard on here to make you think what you originally did?

Matt
Old 10 January 2004, 12:56 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

the engine internalls of the my03 (jdm sti9) are not the same as the uk car, neither is the turbo, i thought it was common knowledge?
Old 10 January 2004, 01:17 PM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

Talking

JDM STi 8 engine internals are different to UK/Euro STi 8 Engine internals. JDM versions have bigger ports in the head and thats just for starters.

Conrad
Old 10 January 2004, 01:20 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Exclamation

If you were to compare the ImprezaIII MY03StiUK engines mechanicaly, it would be a closer match to a ImprezaII MY02STi7UK than a ImprezaIII STiJDM.

IMHO

Tony

[Edited by T5NYW - 1/10/2004 1:23:40 PM]
Old 10 January 2004, 01:25 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

i beleive it has a different crank, pistons, con rods also??
Old 10 January 2004, 04:43 PM
Ady 1
Scooby Regular

Matt, I think the threads after yours seem to answer your question, obviously people think or know that the STi8 internals are different to the JDM one but no one can seem to say just what other than yes they have differences eg like STi8 has a wooden crank and a rubber turbo etc (just being stupid because anyone can say yes they are different) come on guys what differences exactly and how do you know? As I said before, my sources are a well researched magazine and Pete Croney from Scoobysport who has years of scooby experience so I still tend to believe him.

Ady

P.S. Gary C, a semi-closed deck block is stronger than an open deck block as it does indeed have extra webs around the waterways as does a closed deck block, therefore it will be a better block to sustain modifications around, which is what I obviously need according to the apparently sh!te engine I have in my STi8!!!!

[Edited by Ady 1 - 1/10/2004 4:54:35 PM]

[Edited by Ady 1 - 1/10/2004 4:55:29 PM]
Old 11 January 2004, 12:26 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Wink

ADY,
Nobody has claimed your engine is Cr4p it is just not the same engine it goes OK does't it

I sure there was a reply by a Prodrive bod to that fact, I'll do a search if you ask Conrad (RSVR racer) I think you will find he has tinkered a little with a MY03STiUK engine.

Tony
Old 11 January 2004, 12:34 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Can someone please put me out of my misery?
Misery? It's not like your dog just died, is it? A bit of perspective here please!

I have read lots of threads saying that the STi8...
You're doing that silly "STi8" thing again. Do you really mean an MY03 STi Type UK?
...engine is not like a pucker STi motor
Is it a "pucker" STi engine? Yes. Is it exactly the same as the MY03 Japanese market STi engines? No. Methinks you're working yourself up into a state rather unnecessarily here. As Tony says, it's hardly fair to describe the Type UK STi engines as "cr*p", is it?

Sure, there are detail differences between the specification of the Japanese market STi engine, and the Type UK STi of the same model years, but there are more similarities than differences.

The most fundamental point regarding your general ideas about the engine's suitability as a base for modification, is that both the UK and JDM engines are built on the same EJ207 semi-closed deck block. The current Jap cars unquestionably are slightly better specified (different port sizes, nitrided crank, likely to be stronger pistons, twin-scroll turbo and associated exhaust manifold changes), but the fundamentals of the engine are the same.

As I said before, my sources are a well researched magazine and...
Remember, never believe what you read in the papers...

[Edited by greasemonkey - 1/11/2004 12:40:02 PM]
Old 11 January 2004, 03:34 PM
Ady 1
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks guy's, I'll just have to get over my hang up. There is one thing though and I speak form raw experience here, at least I won't have to change my ECU or have it re-mapped to run at full chat without it spitting the dummy out as happened twice with my old JDM Type R STI V4, rather expensive to rebuild an all.........
...........or do you guy's know something else that I don't??????

Ady

PS Greasemonkey, take the point about reading the papers etc but what about Mr Croney, surely he knows about the scooby engines??

[Edited by Ady 1 - 1/11/2004 3:36:58 PM]
Old 11 January 2004, 04:09 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

at least I won't have to change my ECU or have it re-mapped to run at full chat without it spitting the dummy out as happened twice with my old JDM Type R STI V4, rather expensive to rebuild an all.........
Goes with the territory. If you're going to run a high performance sportscar on a much lower grade of petrol than which it was designed to use, you can't really complain too much if something goes wrong.

or do you guy's know something else that I don't??????
The STi Type UK's are mapped for UK pump petrol. While it would be unrealistic to claim that it was impossible to blow one up in normal usage, it certainly is fair to say that they should generally be reliable provided they're left standard and serviced properly.

Greasemonkey, take the point about reading the papers etc but what about Mr Croney, surely he knows about the scooby engines??
You're largely into semantics and wordplay here Ady, and a lot would depend on exactly what you asked Pete. Hopefully he'll see this thread tomorrow and clarify his opinion.

If the question was "Are the engine internals on the UK STi8 and the Jap STi8 the same", the answer could be yes, as there's a whole load of confusion and double meaning given to the term "STi8" by different people.

Many think of the Japanese MY02 car as an STi8 (while referring to the MY03 version as the 9), and if you compared the MY02 JDM STi engine with the MY03 UK one, you'd find they were very similar indeed.

If everyone stuck to model years and markets with the new age cars instead of this inappropriate and confusing number system, there'd be far less confusion.

The components on the MY03 STi Type UK and the base spec MY03 JDM STi have a high degree of commonality (as mentioned, the block is the same, but there certainly are detail differences.
Old 11 January 2004, 05:15 PM
Ady 1
Scooby Regular

Cheers Greasmonkey, I give in now, won't write any more cr&p. So I now refer my car as MY03 STi Type UK to avoid further confusion or the one with the 'lardy engine' (just my little joke, don't post a whole load of put you downs). By the way Greasemonkey, what do you do for a living? just curious as you seem to know a lot about these motor cars!! I am an Engineer at BAE Systems and seem to know fek all about them!!

Ady

[Edited by Ady 1 - 1/11/2004 5:19:55 PM]
Old 11 January 2004, 08:18 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ady,
GM now his stuff I think he is a Subaru Mechanial Technician

MY's last years new 2.5ltr USA was a MY04

The new MY04STi10jdm is out this year IIRC

Tony
Old 12 January 2004, 07:55 AM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Wink

I am an Engineer at BAE Systems
ROTFALMAO
Promotion Ady ?

Where did you get to on Sunday ? We had a Subaru trained mechanic with us, who would have happily answered a few of your concerns / questions.

Chris.
P.S. Tea, two sugars next time I call in