Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2001, 08:26 AM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Gents,
is a UK 97MY PPP worth doing?
I know 2K is a lot on an old runner, but as it is my pride and joy (33K circa) I don't mind the expenditure and I want to be comfortable in the knowledge that it is safe, being Prodrive assured (i.e. chocolate piston concerns).
However, It has been brought to my attention that the PPP is not that good on a 97MY and if you are out of warranty, "why not go for a possum link or other?"
Is the PPP as good on a 97MY as say, a possum link?
Are the alternatives to PPP as safe?

Any advice will be appreciated as I have seen many posts, but none on the 97MY.

Thanks in advance, Jacko
Old 29 March 2001, 08:48 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Jacko

Sounds to me like you have already made your mind up, so a PPP it is then. Never heard bad reports about the Possum, but there is more to the PPP than just the ECU. You will also benefit from quality after sales service from the top Subaru kiddies and the dealer network. I also suspect that the PPP could work out better in the long run when you come to sell your beloved Scooby. (Yes, I know you don't want to think about that right now, but one day you will have to!)

All my opinion so feel free to shoot me down!

TONY

Old 29 March 2001, 08:59 AM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the feedback Tony. However, I am not completely sold on the PPP as you say. I am trying to get an understanding from MIKE WOOD and the populous the following:

97MY UK standard (208 BHP/214 lbft@4K) upgraded to:-

PPP Vs Possum/other = Power+TORQUE
PPP Vs Possum/other = Safety
PPP Vs Possum/other = Cost

Cheers, Jacko.

[This message has been edited by Jacko (edited 29 March 2001).]
Old 29 March 2001, 09:34 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

As your car is a MY97 and it is now 2001, your three year warranty has expired so your choice of aftermarket ECU is greater.
Whether you need the RamAir Filter and Backbox provided with PPP only you will know.
I personally don't think you will find much difference between PPP or Possum [or any other you may opt for].
You will find a huge difference to the performance of your car.
If the PPP is fitted by Subaru, investigate the warranty issues.
Old 29 March 2001, 02:19 PM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers for the advice Bajie, but I'm after more technical answers. I am a bit of a petrol head and just want to get the BIGGEST BANG 4 me buck!

Mike....where are you????

Jacko

[This message has been edited by Jacko (edited 29 March 2001).]
Old 29 March 2001, 03:30 PM
Simon
Scooby Regular

Jacko,

It is not really possible to compare the power and safety aspects of the PPP and the Link, as they are quite different.

The link is a completely mapable ECU, and any power/economy/safety gains depend on how it has been mapped. You could map a Possum Link ECU to be identical to the standard Impreza map... if you wanted to.

The Prodrive ECU comes with a set map from the factory, i.e. not tuned specifically for your car, and cannot be changed.

As for price, once you have paid for the ECU, mapping, knock link etc., there is probably not much difference between the link and the PPP. The MY97 PPP, however, does include a Ramair filter and Prodrive backbox and centre section, so if you don't have these, the PPP may be a good idea. If you already have an exhaust/filter then maybe the Link (or even UNIchip) is a better option.

Simon

Old 29 March 2001, 05:34 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

From what I remember the MY97 PPP was not that good. But I may well be wrong.

Dan
Old 29 March 2001, 05:37 PM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Simon, thanks for the info. I have been contacted via e-mail on an issue just as you describe, that the PPP is factory set and may not generally take well to my particular vehicle
I have had a story where the PPP actually reduced the performance of a 97MY, where the owner actually got a refund and put back to std !
I must say I am a bit dubious now over the benefits of a PPP if I already have a ITG and SS BBox. I was thinking along the lines of changing to a SS centre but staying legal with the DP.
Possum is starting to sound more and more appealing by the second, but I can't help the purist within me that wants to stick with PPP.
I would like Mike Wood's opinion on this! I am concerned that I may not get all I desire with a PPP due to my car not taking to well to it. However a possum is mappable to my car! I don't have manuf warranty to worry about but I don't want choc pistons either!
If prodrive gave me a money back guarantee if not entirely happy, then I think I would prefer to try it first. If they can't......then I think Bob R will be getting a call pretty soon to book me in.

P.S I didn't think the 97MY did come with centre section?
P.P.S what boost does a std with PPP run on a 97MY (i.e. if I added a SS centre, it may overboost with PPP)?

Jacko.
Old 29 March 2001, 08:33 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Jacko, a UK MY97 does have a centre section.

I tried a PPP ecu in my car just before going to the Link. I run the car on the rolling road with the PPP, and found the power dropped by about 20BHP at 5000rpm, up to the red line.

The figures I have had with the link are from the Powerstation rollers, 246bhp, 242lb torque.

Make your own conclusion from that!

Dan
Old 30 March 2001, 07:07 AM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers for the info Danny.
It seems as though there are big doubt's over the PPP's benefits on a 97MY.
It would seem that most of us 97MY owners that want more, go for the Possum with knock and Lambda links. If the price is comparable or hopefully cheaper, I think this is the way I will go. Especially as it can be re-mapped to any changes in hardware.
It's good to know that we can use the BBS as a sounding board for money decisions such as this.
Are there any other 97MY owners (STEF?) who wish to bat for the PPP side? MIKE WOOD?

Cheers again fella's. Jacko
Old 03 April 2001, 10:56 AM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

TOP...
Is there anybody out there...???????
Come on all you 97MY's with PPP's.....
PPP or Possum..????