Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Orrible noise.... and no its not the missus

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2003, 09:59 PM
cdco
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right, help required from all you 'experts'. Just got in after a trans pennine jaunt and the scoob's started making an 'orrible noise from what sounds like the front end drive train. From 50 mph upwards there's a new whine appeared that increases in frequency with road speed. In gear out of gear, clutch in or out, under load or not this sodding noise is still there. Cant see anything obvious catching the rotating parts. Before I book it in to Gibbsons and look a berk if its nothings any ideas. [Edited to add] Oh just to say its not related to engine speed just road speed.

X plate Classic UK Turbo

Ta Carl.

[Edited by cdco - 11/23/2003 10:03:40 PM]
Old 23 November 2003, 10:26 PM
Mr Slim
Scooby Regular

How do,
Had a similer noise on my MY00 about a month ago, also comming from the front end, this noise also increased and decreased with road speed. Looked everywhere for the cause, finaly found what was causing it. Check the brake pads. Mine have two small pronges on the inside of the pad, and one of these pronges had bent in a bit, must have been hit by a bit of road debris, and was just touching the disc, bent it back out and all is now fine.

Hope this is all it is. See ya Paul.
Old 23 November 2003, 10:41 PM
cdco
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks paul, will do, It could easily be cos ive not long put new mintex's on. If ive bent the wear indicators that could be it. Any more Idea's any one before I tear the front end apart?

Carl
Old 25 November 2003, 09:44 AM
cdco
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Right the noise is getting worse, especially under load so Ive bitten the bullet and the cars booked into Gibsons of Brock on Thursday, so ill be tooling around in a justy! Bugger !!!