Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Engine pre-heaters?

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 1999, 12:01 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PE are developing an accusump system for the impreza. The system is designed to regulate oil pressure when running and store pressure so that the engine can have full oil pressure on cranking. This would make a massive difference to cold-engine wear.

Moray
(Seriously)
Old 24 November 1999, 12:05 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Your fan heater idea would be incredibly inefficient, you would be better served using that energy to centrally heat an insulated garage to keep a minimum temperature and reduced humidity for the entire car.

You could do a web search for Kenlowe engine pre-heater products. There would be a moderate weight penalty for this type of system.

Moray
Old 24 November 1999, 12:15 AM
leestudd
Scooby Regular

Hi Gethin,

There used to be a product available called HotStart. It was basically a mains powered water heater/pump that you plumbed into you radiator hose. It also had a tough, water-proof mains cable to power it.

Mate I shared a house with had one on his 5 turbo. He would plug it in in the evening after he got home from work. A timer switch would switch it on 30 minutes before he left for work. Used about 8p worth of elecy.

Get in the car and it would almost be up to temp. Heaters would work straight away. I guess it also helped the wear on the engine as well (don't know, but that is what they claimed).

Best bit was you could clear ice/snow in about 2 minutes.

This widget may still be available, have a search on the 'net.

Cheers

Lee S.
Old 24 November 1999, 12:48 AM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into it further and let you know what I find.
Old 24 November 1999, 11:19 AM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Back in the days when I bought loads of 4x4 magazies I looked into the possibility of installing an engine pre-heater on my 4x4 programmed to come on 30 mins before I left the house so that the jeeps engine would be warmed up by pumping heated water around it, thus reducing cold start engine wear.

Is there a similar product available for my scoobie? I have also thought of possibly a poorer DIY solution by blowing hot air onto the radiator for a set period of time to warm the water using one of those fan heater jobbies using a mains timer switch before setting out.

Any ideas anyone? Or is it a complete waste of time?

Gethin.
MY96 WRX
Old 24 November 1999, 11:57 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Gethin,

I find that lighting a small fire under the engine warms it up nicely, the cold oil in the sump being heated through at a fair old pace. Obviously this is more straightforward if you have a proper garage with a concrete floor and built in engine warming fire gratings. If you are clever, you can wait 'till the engine is warrmed through and then move the car so the fire heats up the passenger compartment too!

Moray

( )
Old 24 November 1999, 02:35 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Taking it to the extreme...

When I used to spend some time in Canada it drop to below -40 ... they used to have battery heaters (at that temp the battery wouldnt work)... they also used specially designed heaters for the engines....you plugged you car into the mains....even the shop carparks had places for you to do it... It was weird seeing this little bit of flex and plug hanging out of the car grills...

J.

Trending Topics

Old 24 November 1999, 03:11 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

firefox,

Yes, my Sister in Vancouver has told me simlar stories when on escapades into the Rockeys in winter.

I'm sure it would reduce engine wear big time...but difficult to prove i'm sure without long term tests. You can hear the engine is under more strain when cold.

Anything to make life less painfull for my scooby would be welcomed !!! (sad scoob owner!)

Gethin.
Old 24 November 1999, 03:48 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Clifford do an add-on for their alarms called 'Intelli-start' which allows you to start the engine remotely for the purpose of warming the engine/heaters before use.
I guess it depends where the car is left and how brave you are!

Stef.
Old 24 November 1999, 06:14 PM
Guy Humpage
Scooby Regular

If I had a garage then I'd definitely investigate getting a block heater, being able to get in a (nearly) warmed up car in the morning, without having to drive 5 miles before things get up to temperature.

The Kenlow system mentioned above just plumbs into the main coolant circuit of the car, so should be fitable to a Scoob, the only hassle would be getting the right hoses to do the trick neatly (and perhaps finding room in the engine bay).

I know that block heaters are very popular in the colder parts of the USA so perhaps Subaru USA sell a kit specifically for the Impreza...
Old 24 November 1999, 07:05 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty sure Webasto make a system which runs off the car's petrol supply, I'll try to dig out some details.