Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Back boxes - ScoobySport v Prodrive

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 1999, 09:11 AM
Mark Barrett
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Have seen a few people selling nearly new Prodrive rear boxes.

Can anyone tell me whether I would be better off with a Prodrive box or a ScoobySport?

Is the Prodrive box any good without any ECU mods, or would it be a waste of time?

Also, I am interested in user's experiences on backboxes in general. I am interested in improving the mid range response, but I do a lot of motorway miles and do not want to increase the "drone" too much in this kind of driving.

Help!!
Old 09 November 1999, 09:29 AM
PaulP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too would like to know which is the best exhaust. At the moment after reading through other related items, it does appear that the ScoobySport exhaust is the better one.
I have had Magnex exhausts fitted to my other cars (not Impreza's) and they did cause a lot of ear ache on the motorway.
It also appears that an ITG filter provided by ScoobySport is a good companion for the ScoobySport exhaust. Using this combination, would I expect a little more in the way of mid-range punch?
If the answers are positive about the ScoobySport mods, then I will be ordering from ScoobySport, so let me know.....
Old 09 November 1999, 09:52 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Most people sell their Prodrive back boxes when they change to a SS one, after paying out for a PPP (which includes a back box!).
The general concencus of opinion, certainly on the BBS, is that the SS backbox/ITG filter combo is a great alrounder. It's not too intrusive in the cabin, yet sounds great outside whilst also improving throttle response somewhat.
It's very much a personal choice, but it's really best to come along to a track day and listen to a variety yourself.
There must be a reason why so many people sell their Prodrive boxes, but you see hardly any second hand SS ones!!
Hope this helps.

Stef.
PS Incidentally, I have neither a SS box or an ITG, so I'm not biased!
Old 09 November 1999, 09:59 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi guys..

Most people change their exhausts to SS for two.. maybe three reasons:

1. SS is more noiser (in a deep rumble sort of way)
2. People jump on the band wagon... because 200 other people have the SS, then must have one too
3. There is a slight marginal gain from mid to top end on the SS box...due to it flowing better... low down is virtually the same...

J.

ps - As StePH has said.. it comes down to personal choice.. and money...
pss - I've had the SS box.. for a long time now...(before SS started supplying them)
Old 09 November 1999, 10:16 AM
JohnT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

If you have a 5 door checkout the noise levels before buying a SS backbox. The open boot acts like a bass bin especially on the motorway.
Old 09 November 1999, 10:51 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

I think someone mentioned the Prodrive box was made by Janspeed.

Backbox and air filter seems to make the engine a little more responsive, adds "character" to the exhaust note and a few bhp top-end.

For real power increases you need to be looking at the whole exhaust system , especially the downpipe.
Old 09 November 1999, 10:46 PM
strong
Scooby Regular

At
Old 09 November 1999, 11:10 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Talking

I hope we can do a backbox comparision on the 11th December at the next Dyno day.

Jonathan