Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

fmic advice

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2003, 10:31 PM
smartecosse
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no idea which one to get at all for my classic wrx.

they all seem to say they r the best.........

any helpfull advice would be welcome as at the moment i am leaning towards the pace one
Old 07 November 2003, 10:56 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Lots of pros & cons on most.
The Pace one - I'm not so sure about that one! Good if you don't want to hack anything up...
HKS I think is pretty good (don't mention the pipework, but it's pretty bad on all of them anyway )
I have an APS - chosen really because it's very tough - AFAIK, all but the APS have very fine fins - excellent for heat exchange, but not so good with the FMIC being the first point of attack for gravel! Mine's been on for over a year & there isn't a single bent fin... I'd get one again, but I haven't used another one to compare it against, so can't really offer any real insight!
Old 08 November 2003, 01:35 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just done this myself..

HKS - bumper needs cutting, large core, but long pipework
PACE - No bumper cutting, intercooler is not massive but aduequate, comes with a radiator which is okay but not good if you want to run big power.. as can run a bit hot.
APS - bumper needs cutting, intercooler reasonable size and works well but pipework is not ideal.
Lateral Performance Intercooler - no bumper cutting, Core is bigger than HKS, comes with a radiators and uprated fans.. but no pipework and no room for air con rad.

I went for the Lateral Performance one and have done the pipework myself.. but other places could make some pipework for you.. Lateral might be able to supply pipework now too?

See here for pics of my car..

If you want a bolt straight on and go one then I'd buy the HKS..
If you want as good or better core and short pipework then the Lateral one fits the bill.. IMHO of course..

There are others.. Greddy and MRT for example but I know less about them.. I think the Greddy one you have to lose the foglights and pipework is still fairly long on them both.

JGM
Old 08 November 2003, 07:19 PM
smartecosse
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies. do i have to loose the aircon with all the intercooler mods or not?
Old 08 November 2003, 08:11 PM
Wizard
Scooby Regular

Hi Matey
Have just fitted a Pace FMIC, it was realativly easy to fit but did require a bit of jiggery/pokery to get it to sit properly in the engine bay. I have noticed that the engine temp has creeped up a bit but thats to be expected as the radiator is now closer to the engine plus its now out of direct air-flow bieng behind the intercooler. Hope this helps there is a great range to chose from just what suits your situation best IMHO.
Chris
Old 08 November 2003, 08:26 PM
sg72
Scooby Regular

No.

I run an HKS.

These are Model specific.

So if you have aircon, the intercooler sits in front of the Main rad. Which in turn sits in front of aircon rad.

Have had no problems at all with temps.

Also comes hardpiped and can be ordered in a variety of pipe finishes.

I chose this over others.( I did a SEARCH.) because of efficiency and cost plus prefered hardpipe. A piece of mesh protects cores.

Steve
Old 08 November 2003, 08:53 PM
smartecosse
Scooby Regular

hks is sounding good, how much chopping of the front bumper is required then to make it fit?

Old 08 November 2003, 11:52 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you can keep air con with most of them if this is a requirement.. personnally I thnink I used it twice this year..
and just thought to the extra weight loss, on the car ditching the compressor and me sweating

I think bumper cutting is a reasonable amount with HKS which I came close to doing.. I thinnk all the fins behind the number plate have to go.

LOL

JGM