Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

impezas are fragile are they not

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2003, 09:37 PM
sti-spec-a
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont get me the wrong way i love them the noise ,the accelaration,the handling You know where im coming from But before i bought the car i was under the impression that Subarus were reliable powerful fun cars ,the last 2 yeah cool dont have a problem Reliable i wouldnt put them in that catagory my old vtec civic in 3 years didnt do a single thing to it , thrashed its nuts off not once did fail to start or miss or drop power The scooby owned it 1 year now Touch wood shes fine but when i log on to scoobynet forum and read the threads listed in technical i dread taking the bitch anywhere near an open road Now i feel as if im startin to drive like my dad Paranoid about every squeak,knock,rattle Love the machine of doom but it looks like ill be trading it in against one of those wee Perodua Nippa 660cc with 5 years warranty ............................maybe
Old 19 October 2003, 09:43 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are so many members on here that the percentage of problems must be fairly small..

Most of the problems are solvable..

Also a lot of the cars with problems are modified and sometimes without the needed precautions imho..

put 60,000miles on mine in 3years (136,000miles) now.. they are solid if you are sensible. Car is not standard for last 36,000miles either..

JGM
Old 21 October 2003, 08:08 AM
Matti
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Know what you mean sti-spec-a. Had MY97 just over six months, and several niggly probs including three oil leaks. I'm still treating it very gently and listening for everything
Old 21 October 2003, 09:50 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Most subaru's in "standard form" dont have many problems, if you read into the stories some guys place on this site, they are fairly self explanatory and of course, self destructing! Some modifications are ok when used in moderation, but remember, at the end of the day. The manufacturer of any car has tried and tested these cars to destruction and built them to a performance level that will give them as long a life as possible. If someone then increases the performance of a car engine, then its future life is greatly reduced because of it.
It is impossible to get performance and longetivity together, one will always reduce the other no matter who say what or tries whatever. Simple facts but no one will accept it when their engine goes bang after spending mega bucks increasing the performance levels. No one in the buisness selling performance parts will ever say to a customer, that by fitting something it will "also" reduce engine life expectancy.

Food for thought, but totally logical.
Old 21 October 2003, 01:32 PM
PhilA
Scooby Regular

Don't forget that scoobynet is here for people to post their problems. You don't get owners posting messages for no reason except to say "Hi, my cars fine thanks".
Old 21 October 2003, 04:18 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

pmsl @ Phil!

agreed - its not like the whole noard and impreza owning community have nothing but trouble with their cars. mine has not missed a beat.

i think with tuneage you have to be prepared for niggles.

Weava
Old 21 October 2003, 06:26 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, my cars fine thanks
Old 21 October 2003, 07:11 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

mine too !

whine - clunk - grind - uh oh!
Old 21 October 2003, 08:57 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Wink

3-4 years ago when I ran my UK98 peaking at 22psi with decat exhaust, K&N filter and ppp ecu as the only engine mods, I was told by "experts" and anyone else that I was mad - "it'll melt pistons", etc etc. After 18 months of trouble free motoring at around 280 BHP, 270 ft-lbs, I checked the pistons (as engine was being upgraded) and not a mark on them, let alone signs of melting ! I had had the engine "select monitor" checked every 4-6 months and serviced regularly.
Now people are getting 400BHP from std engines !! So much for ME being mad ! Just shows how wrong "experts" can be !
Just remember you take a risk with any mod - if you accept that, then do what others have found to work and are "safe" !
Stan
Old 21 October 2003, 10:25 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I've had my car three years now, and the only thngs I have had go wrong, are; the reversing light bulb blowing and the ashtray rattling..........! - just costs a fortune to service !!

alan
Old 22 October 2003, 01:09 PM
rapac
Scooby Regular

my97 with 166000kms,properly moded(around 340hp) and has not mist a bit(Aus. specs).

Chris
Old 22 October 2003, 02:27 PM
paulwadams_my99
Scooby Regular

Don't you think though that there is a high percentage of big end failures that can't really be explained? I reckon there is even more than what you read on here. I am not aware of other modified turbo cars having quite the same failure rate re big end.

I will include myself in the above bracket and know people who have totally standard cars, no track days and no explanation why the big end has gone. Luckilly they are the ones who get the warranty claim and maybe the ones that you don't read about.

Old 22 October 2003, 09:38 PM
Weenie
Scooby Regular

Sorry but I will have to say I wouldnt buy another Subaru. Owned mine for just over 18 months and had to change more or less every thing! Just to finish it off, after spinning it on a slip road, managing to avoid hitting anything it still wrote the car off. Cant belive how weak the car is for it to bend the back end and pop half the spot welds out! Im off to look at getting a Ford
Old 22 October 2003, 11:11 PM
a110
Scooby Newbie

"after spinning it on a slip road"
Yes Weenie, I should stick to Fords in future, you're more their type;o>
Old 23 October 2003, 11:40 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My first Impreza held together very well in an accident..

head on with impact of about 90mph..

JGM
Old 23 October 2003, 09:22 PM
tailfin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

so far so good my00turbo a minter for driving pleasure