ECU Options

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2003, 01:32 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi

I have had a search through old posts and have managed to get myself confused!

I have WRX "02 with full Scooby Sport system from the turbo back, de-catted. I still have the standard Up-pipe. Im starting to think about getting a re-map done and don't really know what would be the best option.

I would like to get it up to arround 280BHP to match my mates '97 WRX import but don't want to strain anything or make it undriveable, family car as well!

I have seen TEK 2, TEK 2.5, TEK 3 refered to and also Link ECU'S. GEMS's, Piggyback ECU systems etc. and now don't know where to start!

I would love something that could be removed easily and put back to normal without any cost in the future.

Any ideas?
Old 20 September 2003, 02:10 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

The TEK ecu's are just a remap of the original ecu, this is the cheapest option really, i would suggest the addition of defi gauges and a knocklink if going down this road so you can see whats happening, it will also invalidate your warranty so be warned!
The most warranty friendly way is the PPP, its slightly more expensive but will give you around the 250bhp mark.
Motec and GEMS ecu's are really for when your going for a very modified car, to have these on a fairly standard car is a waste of time and money as they cost around 1200 for the GEMS and upto the region of 2200 for the Motec.

Tony
Old 20 September 2003, 02:25 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks for the reply

Lets say I wanted to achieve around the 280bhp, what would be the way to go. I don't fancy a PPP and have already spent out on the exhaust system. Are UNI-chips a safe way to go?

I like the idea of removing it and everything was the way it was. Im not really in to knock-links but will be fitting my boost gauge when I can find a nice looking pod!

Old 20 September 2003, 03:49 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

The key here is how close to your notional 280bhp figure you are willing to settle for. It's probably better to forget about having a car with "as much power as your mate's", as his is something like 160kg lighter, and has a better, freer breathing turbo, so even with the same output his car's still going to be quicker than yours. Thus, if you're only doing this for bragging rights, you may as well not bother.

You are unlikely to get 280bhp out of a UK WRX without changing the turbo. Even if you decatted the up-pipe (which you really should), the turbos in these cars are good for around 265-270 as a realistic maximum. Try and screw any more out of them and you just heat the air rather than compress it, which reduces charge density and power output, as well as promoting det and taking chunks off the working life of the turbo. As you've invalidated the warranty, putting your engine in line for an expensive rebuild might not be the best course of action!

The other thing is that you should really change your opinion of KnockLinks. You should not consider further engine related modifications without having one fitted. There are too many circumstances under which a normally "safe" modification could cause your engine serious harm (for example if you inadvertently bought a "bad" tank of fuel". The KnockLink (and also an AFR meter) will give you advance warning of such conditions before serious damage is caused.

In your position, there is no point whatsoever going for a GEMS, Link or similar replacement ECU. These devices offer a level of complexity and complication you don't remotely need, and cost far too much given your intended gains.

A TEK remap of some description would seem to suit your needs best, albeit that you can't just remove it yourself whenever you feel like it. Seeing as you've already got the SS exhaust system installed, you may as well speak to Pete about the remap too.
Old 20 September 2003, 04:33 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Question

You are unlikely to get 280bhp out of a UK WRX without changing the turbo. Even if you decatted the up-pipe (which you really should), the turbos in these cars are good for around 265-270
Err, I know someone who got 284bhp last weekend with an 02 WRX that was decatted and Superchipped. He hasn't changed the turbo.
Old 20 September 2003, 04:53 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Superchip eh?

[Edited by greasemonkey - 9/20/2003 5:03:15 PM]
Old 20 September 2003, 07:44 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the responce,

Im not into bragging about my cars faster than your car, if I wanted a car quicker than my mates I could have saved a lot of money and bought one like his. However, I would like to get close to the speed of his one as it's great fun!

I've been told by a reputable company that with a Tek rempa I should be able to get between 275bhp - 300bhp.

With a turbo and injector change 355bhp is possible? Im not looking to correct anybody and have no experience in this area, just after some varied advise from those in the know.

Cheers

Old 20 September 2003, 09:50 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Superchip eh?
Yeah, but it was fitted by a dealer! Still, the cars running perfectly well, and I know what you're thinking!