Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

strange whining sound - help!

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2003, 08:02 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Always difficult to describe a sound, but here goes... it started off as a very faint whine that increased/decreased with revs. Only really noticed it above the Scoobysport exhaust when coasting.

Now I can hear it quite clearly accelerating and decelarating - what's it like? It's like the word - a "whiiiiinnnne". Rarely there when starting from cold. Most noticeable after a bit of a blast. It's only the fact it's getting more noticeable that I'm starting to worry... so far it doesn't appear to be affecting the drive in any way.

Any ideas? Just something a bit worn that I must live with, or a sign of something more significant?
Old 13 September 2003, 09:48 PM
Phil WRX 01
Scooby Regular

Does the noise seem to be coming from the rear of the car?
If so I think i have the same problem .
Old 13 September 2003, 10:42 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Cool

What state of tune ? (I mean the car, not TUNE in a ' Name that Tune' kind of way ! )

e.g. Full De-cat ?

Have you added anything lately ?

Could be turbo whine, if you've just changed the exhaust. You can defo hear this on a full-decat...

Mark
Old 14 September 2003, 08:13 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Not added anything new - downpipe and backbox been on for years. The noise comes from the front - at first I thought it may be a transmission whine but i don't really know or understand enough to be sure. I just know that it's got louder and because it wasn't there before, I became concerned that something was wrong.Don't get me wrong - it's not so loud that it drowns out everything else. Others in the car can't hear anything, so perhaps I'm just being hypersensitive! Anyone else experienced anything like this who can shed some light?
Old 14 September 2003, 08:56 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Are you 100% certain its pitch is linked to engine speed?
Old 15 September 2003, 01:50 AM
alexWRX
Scooby Regular

MOST LIKELY TO BE POWER STEERING PUMP. HAVE SAME ON MY CAR AND HEARD ITS COMMON FOR ALL SUBARUS.
Old 15 September 2003, 10:05 AM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Interesting... power steering pump. Hmmm, that sounds very likely (I hope). Is it something that needs attention, or just a noise to live with?
Old 15 September 2003, 10:39 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

If it increases with speed, then it's most likely to be the wife/girlfriend in my experience
Old 15 September 2003, 11:05 AM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

My car has had a noise PS pump for 4 years, doesn't seem to have affected performance in any way.

Andrew...
Old 15 September 2003, 10:51 PM
alexWRX
Scooby Regular

i live with it for 1 year and its OK. Decat exhaust done letter time dont let me hear it anymore :-)
Old 15 September 2003, 10:54 PM
phoenix1
Scooby Regular

could be your rear wheel bearings on there way out or slight wear in your rear diff.
Old 16 September 2003, 12:14 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Eh? David says the noise is coming from the front, and is linked to engine speed. Thus, couldn't be the rear diff or wheel bearings!
Old 16 September 2003, 02:41 PM
jbagh
Scooby Regular

I have the same problem... Specially in low revs.. I suspect the turbo that is spooling, which I can hear now with i decat'ed the monster.... ?

Or could be your blow-off valve that is not coping with the pressure?
Old 16 September 2003, 03:52 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

The noise produced by a leaking blow-off valve is normally constant pitch, akin to someone blowing across the top of a milk bottle. Obviously enough, it will only be heard when the engine is under boost. Either way, if the pitch of the noise changes, it's unlikely to be the dumpvalve.

It's important to determine whether or not there's a direct link between your "noise" and engine speed. If there is, it could be PAS pump, alternator, or maybe even oil/water pumps.

If the link between the "noise"'s pitch and the engine is broken at lower speeds/throttle pressures, the likelihood is that it's the turbo. If you've just removed the cat downpipe, it's almost certain that you're hearing the turbo spooling up and down.
Old 16 September 2003, 04:03 PM
Mortywrx
Scooby Regular

Sorry to but in David but i have this whining noise seems to happen under load and goes when I let off the load pedal but it happens at all speeds and just under load. also im not sure this is part of the problem or not but i get a very quiet whining noise at standstill when the clutch is out when I press the clutch it goes and is silent.

Any advice may help both me and david thanks

Darren
Old 16 September 2003, 04:13 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Darren, you may have two separate issues here, or it may be that both are symptoms of the same problem.

The easy one first. If you are hearing a noise at standstill that goes away when you depress the clutch, the problem is either a noisy/worn gearbox input shaft bearing, or damage to one or more of the gear wheels. If this is the case, it's likely that your "under load" issue is caused by the same thing, and your gearbox needs some TLC, but let's keep minds open for the time being...

The one that appears under load. Is it of constant pitch, or does the pitch alter? If it alters, does it alter in line with engine speed, does it sound different according to what gear you're in? Does it simply stop when you back out of the throttle, or does it get quieter, or its pitch rapidly drop, before disappearing?

It's always difficult to diagnose spurious noises without actually hearing them, but if you can give us more details we may be in with a shout.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 9/16/2003 4:18:40 PM]
Old 16 September 2003, 04:33 PM
Mortywrx
Scooby Regular

thanks for the quick reply GM the noise that appears under load is a constant pitch and drops off when i let off the gas..it doesn't go quiet or any thing it just drops off.

Cheers

Darren
Old 16 September 2003, 04:57 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Where, physically, on the car does it appear to be coming from? Experience would tend to indicate a leaking dumpvalve, although blowing exhaust/gaskets, leaking boost pipes and so-on could also cause this sort of noise.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 9/16/2003 5:00:06 PM]
Old 16 September 2003, 05:09 PM
my94
Scooby Regular

Gearbox mate,just had the same problem........check gearbox oil level...........if empty.....fill.
If ok oil level.......get someone to take a look at the gearbox.
Old 17 September 2003, 12:57 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Fascinating replies! Know what you mean about trying to diagnose a problem without actually hearing it.

With mine, the "whiiiinnne" alters pitch with speed - it seems very much in tune (pardon the pun) with the engine. Straight line, corners whatever - makes no difference.

I must have another listen when I get my car back (off the road because the bumper support bracket disintegrated! Rusted away - and the car an immaculate 4.5 years old!!!).