Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Dodgy 5th gear and gearbox noise

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2003, 02:10 PM
SidewaysMatt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Driving back down the motorway last night at 85. When I lifted off coming to the end, the box jumped out of 5th gear. It went in again and hasn't done it again today but still worries me!

Done a search this morning and it seems that it is a common problem with MY99-MY00 boxes. Mines an MY00 so I would be looking at getting this done under warranty, before it runs out in November.

Just a bit concerned that the dealer might see the Magnex zorst I fitted two weeks ago and say that the warranty is void. Does anybody have a view on this. I mean, we all know that an exhaust has no effect on a gearbox, but I also know what dealers (non-Subaru) will do to get out of a warranty claim!

Also now this has put me in paranoid mode, I'm starting to think that the box is making a slight whirring/bearing noise (layshaft bearings?), particularly noticeable at low speed in 2nd. Do they all do this, and I'm just being paranoid and not noticed before or could this be linked to the 5th gear problem?

Will check the oil level tonight, but it should be OK - it was serviced 2-3 months ago, and it's not leaking.
Old 17 September 2003, 02:32 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Get it done under warranty. There's a nut in the gearbox that sometimes works loose causing the car to jump out of gear. It needs a gearbox rebuild to fix it, so get it done ASAP.
Old 17 September 2003, 02:44 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

YEp, get sorted under warranty, fortunately, can be done by simply removing the extension housing and centre diff unit, so not too much of a job, taking a couple of hours max, so done and fixed "same day".
Old 17 September 2003, 03:10 PM
SidewaysMatt
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks chaps. You don't think the zorst will affect the warranty for the purposes of this repair?