Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Best cure for overboost?

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2003, 04:06 PM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

easiest is to change the restrictor in the boost control hosing.
you will probably have a 1.2mm (not sure as yours is STI) brass restrictor in the hose from the compressor outlet. if you increase its size, then more air gets to the actuator and thus will stop it from boosting so-much, so quickly.
it will only need to be increased a very small amount, but that's the standard fix. some people on here mucking around with restrictors solder over one end, then re-drill the hole using small drills (0.5mm etc) availible from RS components to get it just right. or you can get them from subaru - 4 a price...
& it's a bit of hit and miss. too big & you'll have less boost - not enough & you'll still hit cut!
either that, or get a manual boost controller (dawes, GMB(??), etc)
or something more fancy, like Apexi/Blitz electronic controller.

hope that helps
Steve

[Edited by ScoobyDuck - 9/3/2003 4:08:30 PM]
Old 03 September 2003, 08:20 AM
tporteruk
Scooby Regular

Torque IC in Ashford (Kent) have suggested that a re-map is the best cure for the overboost which I seem to be suffering in my STi3. At the moment it is overboosting in all gears bar 1st! They said I could opt for a fuel cut but a re-map would be a safer bet and will also realise better gains from the car. I am desperate to get this problem sorted as I have hit fuel cut several times - I need some sound advice quickly please! Car is standard except for decat and green filter. Help!
Old 03 September 2003, 04:45 PM
tporteruk
Scooby Regular

Thanks Steve - I have got an old Blitz Duel Solenoid Controller I had on my last car - gues this would work. Would the remap work - I know it could be expensive but would it not only solve problem but also allow me to run on 98RON with booster? Any thoughts.
Old 03 September 2003, 07:14 PM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

depends on what they mean by re-map ? how are they going to do a 'remap' to your car ?
the sti3 is same MY as mine & there are limited options here.
if they/you mean put the blitz boost controller on, then that's not really what I'd call a re-map - but just a better way of controlling the boost!

If you've got it, then fit it. you will be able to controll the boost yourself & more importantly, change the spool-up duty cycles so that you make boost & dont overshoot.

I would get that fitted and see how she runs. if you're worried about 98ron fuel etc, then you should already be monitoring the fueling (or at-least had it checked!).

I know everyone bangs on about AFR meters & Det dettection, but these really are the things that kill Scoob engines once you stray from the norm (or not in some cases!)

if you dont go silly with setting up the boost controller (i.e. asking it to hold 1.4Bar) and just set it to how it SHOULD run, then you should be ok.... (but always nice to know what the fueling & knock is doing !)

Steve