Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Are you getting what you pay for?...........

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2003, 09:59 AM
aus73
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

All exhausts aren't the same!!

You've seen the ads - a 3" turbo back exhaust is a 3" turbo back exhaust isn't it??

The following graph is from an '01 wrx - with APS FMIC, APS induction kit, re-mapped ecu, non-APS hybrid turbo, and 3" Subaru exhaust system from an un-named supplier.

http://www.g-force-motorsport.co.uk/wrx_01_exhaust_compare_a.gif

The car originally ran 289bhp - on our dyno, and 288bhp on another dyno. The exhaust was changed for an APS 3" into 2.5" turbo back system and resulted in 320bhp - nothing else was modified.

Don't take my word for it - speak to Richard at Perfect Performance, in Bicester.

We now have in stock FULL 3" Turbo Back and Cat Back systems which will deliver slightly more performance. If you buy a performance exhaust make sure it delivers performance!!

It might be nice to have an exhaust that sounds a bit better - but the novelty soon wears off when you get blown away by a Focus RS.

This is the sort of boost delivery you should see with a preformance system compared to a standard exhaust:

http://www.g-force-motorsport.co.uk/wrx_01_boost_comparea.gif

G-Force Motorsport

Old 14 August 2003, 10:02 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Chris - have PP in Bicester got a rolling road now? Rich did a brake conversion on my old scoob 18 months ago and I was very impressed with his service and attitude
Old 14 August 2003, 10:18 AM
aus73
Scooby Regular

Richard,

Rich from PP and myself get along really well. He had this customer's car to tune while I was on business in Australia about 4 weeks ago. Put all the right bits on it, and it just wasn't delivering the numbers he'd promised his customer. We had a chat as soon as I got back after he'd had the car on another set of rollers - not his own. He then brought the car over and put it on our rollers - and made the same numbers within 1bhp - so there was definately a problem.

I compared it with another system we had done and found the turbo was taking too long to spool up - so we thought it may be the exhaust as the turbo spec was good - so I offered him one of our exhaust systems to try foc, and if it works he's bought it. He brought the car back monday - first run 310bhp. I remapped the ecu that was in it - and 320bhp - as quoted to his customer. He took the offending system back to the dealer he purchased it from to be told - "this is a performance exhaust - but we didn't say how much performance". They obviously don't think 30bhp, or 10% is a big issue - we do!!!

Just a case of buyer beware.

Chris