Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Has anyone cured the scavaging noise after relocating the PS res?

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2003, 07:47 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Lo peeps,

I'm looking for some help from anyone who has curred the scavaging noises that can occur when re-locating the power stearing reservior.

I've used the Astra res, and as reported get scavaging noises when cold, but the noises go away when the car gets up to running temp.

Am I correct in saying that if I replace the Astra res with the STI 7 Reservoir p./no. 34630 FEOOO, the scavaging noises will go away altogether?

Is there anything I can try with the Astra res to make the noises go away? I've tried different positions around the engine bay.
It seems the further away you get from the pump, the less effective the pump is.
Old 11 June 2003, 09:38 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Scotty,

Changing to an Astra reservoir on its own will not cure your problem. The scavenging noise is caused by a constriction in the flow line and is more obvious when the oil is cold and therefore more viscuous. There are a number of things you should do.

Firstly, locate the reservoir as close to the power steering pump as possible so as to keep feed and return lines as short as possible.

I found when I did my installation the most significant constriction was the adaptor I made to take the pipe on to the power steering pump where the original reservoir was connected by a flange. From memory I opened this out to 12mm and that coupled with moving the reservoir close to the pump solved my problem so that the steering system now performs like original equipment in all respects.

Use the largest bore of feed pipe that is reasonably practical.

I use the STi 7 reservoir complete with the O/E feed pipe to the power steering adaptor flange I had modified. To my surprise I found that it was not necessary to mount the reservoir higher than the pump and that made the location of the reservoir much easier and it now takes up the original position of my carbon cannister.

I hope this helps you but if you need photographs of the installation please let me know and I will e.mail them to you direct.
Old 11 June 2003, 10:42 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Harvey,

I'm using 13mm ID/20mm OD, fuel/oil delivery hoses supplied by a local company.
I'll have to move the reg then, as it's currently sitting between the OS strut tower and water header tank.
I put it there thinking it would have to be higher than the pump.

I'll try that tomorrow morning
Old 12 June 2003, 01:58 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Harvey,

Relocated the res to where the CC used to be, and cut the hoses as short as possible, and it has cured the scavaging noises, and the hole thing works like original equipment now.

Thanks for you help and advice
Old 12 June 2003, 02:39 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Cheers Scotty: When winter comes, if the problem recurrs on cold start ups then look at the flange you have manufactured to connect the feed pipe to the P.S. pump. That was my major restriction on my first attempt and it was easily solved by drilling out the fitting to 12mm.
Old 12 June 2003, 03:00 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the removal of CC canister involve block all hoses, and drill vent hole in tank cap?

Paul
Old 12 June 2003, 05:38 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Hi Paul: All I did was get a T-piece and connected all three pipes together. Occassionally when I have had the car on the ramp I have noticed petrol fume smell underneath but other than that it has been O.K. with no smells inside the cabin or in the engine bay.
Old 13 June 2003, 02:36 PM
BazH
Scooby Regular

Question

Can i ask what you guys used to make the flange that connects to the ps pump?

Cheers
Barry
Old 13 June 2003, 03:06 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
paul, thats the way andy did it..

I vented mine in the inner wing..
Old 13 June 2003, 11:51 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

My power steering reservoir was made from zinc or alloy diecast so I took the top off it and smashed it up with a hammer until I was left with the bottom section which was originally bolted with 2 set screws onto the pump. Then using a jigsaw I cut out the approximate shape that I needed to make a flange and finished it off with a file. I then opened out the feed hole, tapped it and screwed in a fitting which from memory was 12mm on one end and male on the other so I could attach the feed hose.

If you replace the `O` ring under the flange make sure it is O/E and not an approximate replacement otherwise you will have continual problems with leaks.

You can see my layout at www.geocities.com/harveysmith3000
Old 14 June 2003, 07:36 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Harvey, just had a browse of your site....
Am quite shocked by it.. just goes to show you dont always get what you pay for

Harsh but fair i suppose

Rob.
Old 14 June 2003, 09:08 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You do not have to be a physicist to realize that if you have different front and rear axles you will have handling problems.
Maybe the Judge reads scoobynet...

Paul
Old 15 June 2003, 09:28 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Hi Rob :

"Harsh but fair I suppose" .

Not sure it is harsh Rob, as the man brought it upon himself when it could have been resolved between us. There was not one minor mishap but a series of major issues which included :-

Charging for work not done.
Work not done properly.
Fitting lower gearing not taller.
Presumably failing to test drive.
Fitting 3.9 diff to the front and 3.545 to the rear.
No limited slip diff in the rear. The diff was fitted by his own mechanic in my presence although I did not see inside the diff but he continued to blame some sub-contractor. The original diff removed had an LSD unit and this is an integral part of the STi drivetrain.

I do not like people trying to take the Michael and this went way beyond a few little genuine excusable mistakes.

Paul : I doubt the judge even knows Scoobynet exists but he was astute enough, with adequate common sense to resolve the matter to my satisfaction.

Glossy adverts and persona took me in when I did not know a lot about Scoobies and it is only fair that new or less knowledgable owners have the opportunity to act with a degree of caution.