Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Dawes Devices??

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2003, 01:42 PM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been using one for over a year with an MY99 without any probs. I'd seriously consider uprating your intercooler pipework and getting a decent panelfilter at the same time. I saw boost increase by 1psi on changing the intercooler hoses, the stock ones are very restrictive.

I've got deltadash road dyno plots showing before and after fitting my Dawes. These show roughly 30lbft more peak torque at approx 16.5psi boost and 15bhp more at the top. Both figures at the wheels. This equated to roughly 0.5 seconds off each 20mph increment in 3rd gear

Go for it!

Simon

PS you'll need a boost gauge +/- knocklink/deltadash to setup and monitor. Only use optimax/sul fuel also.

[Edited to say - you may need to use a stronger spring in the Forge in addition. I wouldn't run a VTA DV with high boost myself due to concerns re borewash and oil contamination]

[Edited by SiHethers - 5/2/2003 1:45:34 PM]
Old 02 May 2003, 10:22 AM
Twigster
Scooby Regular

I am thinking of getting one for my MY99, I currently have a H+S centre and back-box and a forge VTA with the lighter spring. Are they worth getting, and how many problems can they cause?
Old 02 May 2003, 01:46 PM
Twigster
Scooby Regular

Knocklink and lambda links are next on my shopping lists, as is a boost guage. Am just thinking of getting the dawes' first, with it running around at a low setting until I get the rest of the equipment.
Can it be done this way or should I work the other way around?
Old 02 May 2003, 04:43 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hiya chap

I'm not the biggest fan of Knock link/Lambda Link/AFR meters etc as I want to drive my car and enjoy it, not potter around and then when I get the chance to have a blast, sit there with one eye on a miriad of devices all there "just in case" my engine stops performing within parameters.

That said though, it comes down to the type of person you are. Some people care that much about thier car that they want to feel that they are doing everything they can to ensure it's working properly. Nothing wrong with that
Some folk really don't care if the engine blows up and have a whale of a time and face the piper when/if it does all go pete tong, Nothing wrong in that. Most people though will be in the middle and they will have some sort of monitoring device.

Personally I have a DAWES on and have done for about a year now. I have a boost gauge because it interests me how the boost changes dependent on weather conditions, That's it. That's all I have and the car has been fine and i've loved it.
A year ago though, you would have thought that running a DAWES without at LEAST a boost gauge and a AFR Meter as well as having a re map AND a knocklink and an oil change after every visit to the shops means CERTAIN exploding engines
Bottom line, do what YOU feel comfortable with and monitor what you feel to be relevent. DO however do your own research and draw your own conclusions and don't be worried

Mikey (Been there, done that and car is fine )
Old 02 May 2003, 05:11 PM
Twigster
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mikey. Much appreciated.
Like I said, I do intend to put the monitors on the car anyway, just not this month!! Will go ahead and buy one now then !!
Looking forward to some more boost
Thanks fellas.
Old 02 May 2003, 06:52 PM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

I probably wouldn't bother with a lambda link to be honest. The standard o2 sensor doesn't read accurately in leaner mixtures anyhow, it being narrowband. Your knocklink will tell you when your engine's gonna melt, and I've recently been educated by Dr Banks that you'll never outflow you injectors with a td04l turbo in any case. And he should know

All IMHO. I've only just acquired a KL cos I want more boost, so I'm going to remove fuel cut, increase the boost and see what happens

Simon