Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

What size Olive

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2003, 07:22 PM
Lan Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Olive question.

I have just learned that my99 still has a non standard olive fitted from when it had a dawes device on . This had now been removed but the olive still remains.

Anybody got any ideas how this may affect the car, and has anyone got a spare standard one for an my99 floating around.

ps car is running tek2.5, and full decat, and after much contraversial reading I have removed the vta forge, as they sound like they dont do the car/maf any favours, which is a shame as I liked the woosh.

Any thoughts on the olive would be appreciated, he thinks its 1.3mm in there at the mo.

LM
Old 23 February 2003, 12:04 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Info
Loads of info
Info on a thread started by some dodgy bloke

Old 23 February 2003, 12:07 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

It is running a 1.3mm one, I'm 99% sure now as that's what Merv at PE fitted for me when it was on the rollers.
1.25mm might be a better option as 1.2mm will probably give you overboost in the cold.

Or sort it for good with a HKS EVC
Old 23 February 2003, 10:24 AM
Lan Man
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mega,

Just need that degree in rocket science now, to get my heard round all the technical sturf.
Like the sound of the bleed valve, that could work well.

I am just a bit concerned about these fluctuations in boost i was getting before the tek2.5 went on.

I am going to clean all my pipework (ooh sounds painful )
and the boost solenoid.

I taken the dump valve off aswell, after reading so many reports on what they do and dont do to the engine.

Lan Man

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

[Edited by Lan Man - 2/23/2003 10:28:58 AM]
Old 23 February 2003, 10:40 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Lan Man, if you are Dave who has been emailing me and bought Mark's ECU, then your stated 17.5 PSI peak 16.5 held is about right IMHO and quite sweet for efficiency, smoothness and safety, whatever olive is in there, so it could be well advised to just leave it alone.... you are running a little more held boost than either a Tek2 or PPP. You could get a bit more to maybe 18 absolute max peak, and the ECU will try to hold 17.7 PSI, but you could only really get this accuracy with an adjustable valve, going from 1.3 to 1.2 mm might well make it go higher than this.

Don't be tempted to chase every last 0.5 PSI all the time, it will only change on Subaru's standard boost control hardware the next day when the wind or temperature changes Enjoy the car at a safe level IMHO.
Old 23 February 2003, 01:25 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Wink

lol, John this is Steve who bought Neil's (scoobyjawa) Tek2.5 , Steve (LanMan) bought my car, the one you did me a Tek2.5 for last year.

Gets confusing don't it
Old 23 February 2003, 01:32 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL. Everyone has two names as well, and most people are called Dave or John OK, if it is one of mine it has a 17.7 PSI midrange boost target, and I don't want to see more than 18 PSI peaks at the very most in the coldest conditions in 5th gear with the car really hot.

PE/Ecutek's Tek 2 runs a little more timing than my version, so may will be at its sweet spot at slightly lower boost.

[Edited by john banks - 2/23/2003 1:34:47 PM]
Old 23 February 2003, 05:51 PM
Lan Man
Scooby Regular

Thanks John, and John, for your input.

If reducing the olive size risks overboost, then I will leave it alone. My first concern is for engine stability, I was more concerned about potential risks of an oversizexd olive, but its sounds like its not an issue, if anything it may help.

It originally came up in converstaion after a post concerning boost drop off in 4th and 5th with the standard ecu similar to someone applying the handbrake.
Cleaning and checking all the turbo vaccum pipes was suggested as a solution, which uncovered the oversized olive.

Ramble ramble.
Taking the forge vta off, has also made the driving/gear change much smoother again imho.

Steve
Old 23 February 2003, 06:05 PM
wally
Scooby Regular

Agree, I took off the Forge VTA and the car runs back much smooter, I also ordered an adjustable valve to set the restriction right for my engine, standard internals, Unichip..., so I can go safe to 1.25bar of boost.
But what about the hot summer days, can I go then to 1.25 bar or should I lower a bit to be safe...???