Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

£1,500 on Mods. for P1:what would you get?!

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2003, 12:45 PM
SiWhite
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a P1 with a full Decat. I have a budget of £1,500 for "performance" Mods and need advice on the best next steps:

I want improved handling and more power, so I was thinking about spending £500 on suspension (Bumpsteer, ALK, etc.), what experience have you P1 owners had of these upgrades?

I am also considering an Ecutek 3 map, but want to know if there are other things I should be doing with my budget.

Does anyone know what sort of bhp/torque I can expect from an Decat P1 with Ecutek 3?

Does an uprated fuel pump/injectors on a P1 make a difference when having an Ecutek map done as well? Will the standard ones get the best out of the map?

In addition would an up-pipe make any more difference if I added that as well?

Also, how much power can the other standard components on the P1 take, e.g. Clitch, Transmission, etc.? I presume all of the wear rates will be higher but can I still expect good reliaiblity?

Cheers

Si

[Edited by SiWhite - 2/12/2003 12:52:26 PM]

[Edited by SiWhite - 2/12/2003 12:53:47 PM]
Old 12 February 2003, 01:08 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
£1500 would buy you some AP's. You'll go a lot faster on track with them and you'd need a lot more money to get better lap times with performance mods.

Ecutek- yes 310?.
Uppipe- no.
Clutch, tranny- no idea how you drive?

F
Old 12 February 2003, 01:17 PM
SiWhite
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers Floyd,

I should have mentioned that I already have a big brake kit on the car (Scoobysport Brembo/AP Kit) although it may not be as good as AP, it is plenty good enough for me .

In terms of the clutch etc. I was more just wondering about the additional wear you might expect through normal fast-road driving:

I drive my car quick when conditions allow without thrashing it
Old 12 February 2003, 01:42 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

have a type r. i would suggest leave the engine and go for handling mods, deffo worth a couple of horses on track.

engine mods would have to be those which enhances safety of engine such as increased fuelling ,etc etc.
Old 12 February 2003, 05:02 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Andrew they are 440cc injectors AFAIK and the uprated fuel pump is definately worth it IMO, even in standard guise.
Old 12 February 2003, 05:15 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Question

Is it just a case of getting the fuel pump, and placing it in the tank?? Will the rest of the fuel system need messing with?? ie Pressure regulator etc.. Will the mapping need to be changed aswell??

Cheers, James
Old 12 February 2003, 05:21 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Replacement is quite simple, just swap over in the tank.

It may be wise to review the map, as it could start to run too rich. Speak to Bob, as he mapped your car, he will tell you better.

Steven
Old 12 February 2003, 05:29 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Cheers Steve. Sorry for keeping on, but which pump should I get, as I've heard that there are two different Walbros doing the rounds?? One with a regulator and one without? Who from?
Old 12 February 2003, 05:31 PM
myp1
Scooby Regular

if u change the pumpit will prob start to overpower the standard regulator.without a fuel pressure gge u wont know.mine was running same pressure at idle as at atmo.before modding the p1 think carefully about what u want.with full decat and air filter my knocklink was like a christmas tree under boost.change things but spend some of ur money to monitor things.may look a bit ott but i have lamdalink/knocklink and defi fuel press/oil press/oil temp/exh temp/boost and water temp.if u dont monitor the engine then u are asking for probs.with aps kit mine was leaner than a biafran and only egt and lamdalink warned me
Old 12 February 2003, 05:55 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Smile

fully agree with myp1,failure to monitor will lead to big repairs .

I think the standard turbo and injectors are suited to each other so would look at pump,reg and remap.if you are into track days I would consider a front mount too,well over budget but worth it for hard used cars.
Old 12 February 2003, 06:02 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

http://shop.scoobynet.co.uk/Category...oryName=Engine for most of the bits
Old 13 February 2003, 09:15 AM
SiWhite
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the replies everyone. Was away from my computer all afternoon and evening yesterday hence the lack of reqplies coming from me.

Anyway, I have decided the way forward is to go for suspension mods at Powerstation which seems to be regarded generally as the place to go.

In addition I am going for an Ecutek 3 re-map and probably a new fuel pump. I have decided to leave the standard clutch until it needs replacing and then possibly upgrading this when the time comes.

I have a couple of other questions now though which I would appreciate advice on:

Will a big induction kit (e.g. HKS Suction Kit) complement the re-map and other mods I have done?

Also, I understand the importance of monitoring the engine however when the Ecutek map is installed will there not be some detailed montiroing carried out to ensure that the engine is running properly or do I need to make sure I am monitoring all the time, with Knocklink etc.?

Cheers

Si
Old 13 February 2003, 01:05 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Si

If you have a TEK3 then it should be set up for your mods and be safe, but you are now running into some factory safety margins. If you get a batch of bad fuel or get a little too hot on track then things may go wrong.

Best to get an AFR, Knocklink and boost for starters and then oil pressure, exhaust gas temp gauge for good measure.

F
Old 13 February 2003, 01:13 PM
SiWhite
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks Floyd, it looks like I need to spend my money on Suspension, Engine performance and Engine monitoring bits......

So far I have the following:

Suspension Mods. (ALK, Bumpsteer, Geometry) £500 Approx
Ecutek mapping £650 Approx

Will I be able to get an AFR, Knocklink and some guages for the remaining £350 or so I have left in my budget? I have been in a P1 with three guages in the cubby hole which is usually on the top of the dash in the centre, does anyone know how much they cost?

Cheers

Si
Old 13 February 2003, 06:39 PM
myp1
Scooby Regular

si get the afr and knocklink-scoobymania do some that are easier to locate as they use a seperate box from display..get other stuff as and when u can affaord it
Old 02 December 2003, 04:53 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi there, I have a P1 myself with the exact same mods that you are asking about! Full De-cat, Induction kit and a Tek3 re-map.
The car made 306bhp at Powerstation earlier on this year, which I'm reliably informed is a good figure, as their rollers are said to be V conservative!(Bob Rawle said that would probably equate to around 330 at Power engineering!) The only downside to this is that the standard clutch has started to slip on full boost in the higher gears! I have bought an AP Racing organic clutch kit but I'm having trouble getting anyone local to fit it for me
Other than this the car is vastly improved and much quicker aswell as being able to run on Uk fuels safely!
I would be very interested to hear peoples views on getting an uprated fuel pump though as this is something I'm considering!
ps.... What size injectors are fitted to the P1??

Go on Si do it!!

[Edited by PICKLE - 2/12/2003 4:56:12 PM]
Old 02 December 2003, 08:07 PM
myp1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

would suggest exhaust/filter walbro or similar pump and regulator
roger clark motorsport cld do pump/and regulator(they did mine).
1/downpipe and full decat about 500.00..scoobysport maybe less
2/air filter k@n seems best bet approx 60-70.00
3/pump and regulator 500.00approx
4/ecutek remap contact br developments..bob rawle
this should see u with about 310 safe bhp..these prices should cover fitting as well
but monitoring devices are all extra but worth it
then u can go silly fmic/hybrid vf/injectors etc/look in for sale section as u could save money and get more

[Edited by myp1 - 2/12/2003 8:09:31 PM]
Old 02 December 2003, 08:26 PM
NOZZER
Scooby Regular

Got one with a decat, big brakes and suspension mods, if your in to track days, then spend all the money on suspension mods, is far safer and quicker and a well set up car will be worth 50 bhp no probs, just my 2 penneth.
Also a swirl pot and pump to rid fuel surge as is prone on p1

[Edited by NOZZER - 2/12/2003 8:27:42 PM]