Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Replacing a Clutch on an Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2003, 08:34 PM
Pimp Boy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I own a black Subaru Impreza WRX, about a month ago it was off the road for a couple of weeks, which felt like a year or 2, & the other day the revs seemed a little high & there didnt seem to be much boost & then all of a sudden it became damn near impossible to put it in gear.

Im pretty sure the clutch has gone, does anyone know if the engine needs to be taken out completly for it to be replaced???
Old 16 January 2003, 09:12 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

where are you in the UK...??

If your are anywhere near durham, then get it done at www.importcarparts.co.uk they do it all including the clutch for £295 + VAT..!

Dan
Old 16 January 2003, 09:26 PM
WEBSTER
Scooby Regular

Cool

If your doing it yourself take the box out not the engine it's easier
Old 16 January 2003, 09:31 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Wink

To answer your question...........

........... No the engine does not need to be taken out of the car to change the clutch
Old 17 January 2003, 01:36 PM
Pimp Boy
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Im down nr Southampton, but the main problem is most places wont touch an import, Scoobysport rekon they can do it for £750 odd but Im gona shop around 4a bit.

Cheers 4 the replys looks like it mite not be off the road 4 as long as I thought!
Old 17 January 2003, 02:16 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

You could try Regal motorsport in shirley,southampton they deal with imports not sure what they are like reliability/price wise
Old 17 January 2003, 02:37 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

There's a place on the IOW that sorted my UK MY96 turbo out for just under £300. (Used a clutch kit from www.importcarparts.co.uk - they seem to be good clutches!)

I would think seriously about doing the next one myself after helping out to do the last one

Trending Topics

Old 17 January 2003, 03:15 PM
colin c
Scooby Regular

As your Scooby is a WRX due to the extra torque I personaly would not go for a cheap clutch. The AP, Helix and Lateral Performance organic clutches are far better at handling the extra torque and should withstand far more abuse. I am running the Helix organic clutch in my WRX and I am very pleased with it. Having replaced my own clutch and the gearbox twice I would not recommend you do it at home unless you are more than a compitent DIYer and also have access to a two post ramp as the gearboxes are very heavy. I would also avoid Regal with a Scooby, let them keep playing with Vauxhalls. While you are replaceing the clutch you will more than likely need to have the flywheel skimmed to avoid clutch judder, while I had mine done I also had it lightend ( 7 KG ) and balanced which improved engine response. This was carried out by Saunders Engineering at Cadnam.

Colin.
Old 17 January 2003, 08:10 PM
rally colin
Scooby Regular

Depends on which type of clutch you require but maybe able to help.
Old 18 January 2003, 03:57 PM
Pimp Boy
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Scoobysport in Basildon Essex will supply & fit a Helix uprated clutch, exchange flywheel, replacement spigot bearing,
replacement release bearing and replacement gearbox oil, but getting it up there from Southampton is going to be a rite c*?t. Think Im gona definatly hav 2 shop closer to home but as Colin C was sayin a Helix clutch looks like its the one 4 me, dont think I'll be fitting it myself a clutch is probably gona be a whole lot easier to sort than a new engine!

Gona check out Regal & Saunders, mite try getting the Helix clutch myself & just getting a pro 2 fit it, whilst sorting the flywheel.

Talk about a mission...........